Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #251
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I think it was more like the good advice that he just didn't take.

But who would have thought?

It figures...

It's like ten thousand trucks when all you need is a Bus...

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #252
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
True...those two fall under the Kordell clause. Any mention of them is met with contempt and ridicule.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 AM   #253
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Would you prefer I call it the O'Donnell clause?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #254
JeeberD
General Manager

I couldn't care less about Kordell or O'Donnell. I care about the lack of love for my man Lee...

Old 06-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #255
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I couldn't care less about Kordell or O'Donnell. I care about the lack of love for my man Lee...
Forgot he was a UTEP guy...

I guess he does hold some sort of cult status here, since he is on the team about 1/2 a season every year.

I could call it the Cushing clause? Matt Cushing comes to camp every year, is one of the final cuts, resumes his real world job of phys ed teacher, then around October or November, our 3rd TE gets hurt, and Cushing is re-signed for the remainder of the year as #3 TE/emergency FB. He dresses for maybe one game...then comes back to camp the next year.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #256
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Career highlight here. Way to catch with the body instead of the hands.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #257
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Career highlight here. Way to catch with the body instead of the hands.

I was going to go with his breakout, 3 catch game vs. JAX in 2004.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #258
JeeberD
General Manager

I expect the hate from Steve, but this double teaming makes me sad...

Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #259
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I expect the hate from Steve, but this double teaming makes me sad...
I am not blaming Lee...he was cursed when he got #89 from Will Blackwell
Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #260
SunDevil
College Prospect

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...472&type=story

Ben Roethlisberger apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers, fans and his family on Thursday, hours after being released from a hospital, saying he was fortunate to be alive and pledging to wear a helmet if he ever again rides a motorcycle.

"In the past few days, I've gained a new perspective on life," the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said in a statement released by the team. "By the grace of God, I'm fortunate to be alive ... "

Roethlisberger, 24, who wrecked his bike and cracked his head on a car windshield on Monday, was discharged late Wednesday night.

The youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl was not wearing a helmet when he crashed into a car that was turning left in front of his motorcycle. Pennsylvania's mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2003.

But Roethlisberger said in the statement that if he ever rides a motorcycle again "it certainly will be with a helmet."

Doctors have said two rounds of tests showed no brain injuries, although there was a mild concussion. Doctors used small titanium plates and screws to reassemble Roethlisberger's broken jaws and repaired other broken facial bones. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others, doctors said.

In the statement, Roethlisberger said that he realizes he has a responsibility to safeguard his health in the offseason so he can continue to lead the team.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, citing confidentiality laws, has refused to confirm media reports that Roethlisberger does not have a valid Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

Roethlisberger appeared to address those reports in his statement.

"I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws," Roethlisberger said. "I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me."

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said those criticizing Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet should back off.

"He went through seven hours of surgery and the last thing he needs right now is guys banging on him for not wearing a helmet," Palmer said at Bengals' minicamp in Cincinnati. "People are knocking him for not wearing a helmet and all of that, but the guy is hurting,"

Police were still investigating and will not release their findings until their accident reconstruction is complete, spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said. Police have finished inspecting Roethlisberger's Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and the car, but Ewin would not elaborate on that part of the investigation.

A secretary for District Justice Oscar Petite Jr., who has jurisdiction where the crash occurred, said no citations or other charges have been filed.

The car's driver, a 62-year-old woman, did not immediately return a telephone message Thursday.

The Steelers have not given a timetable for Roethlisberger's return, but hope he will be ready for their Sept. 7 opener against Miami. Players who visited Roethlisberger in the hospital believe he will return to action soon, with no ill effects.

"I look forward to being at training camp in Latrobe and winning football games this season," Roethlisberger said in the statement.

The Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback and have played in two AFC championship games and won a Super Bowl during his two seasons as a starter.

Bengals receiver Chad Johnson hopes the accident does not cause teams to impose more contractual limits on dangerous activities by players.

"They took away the [touchdown] celebrations. Now we can't enjoy ourselves outside of the facility? That's not fair," Johnson said.

"If you're going to do it, do it very cautiously. If you're going to ride a bike, ride it the right way. Don't speed. Do it for enjoyment. If you're going to bungee jump, have two cords in case one snaps. I don't ride anything. I just talk trash. That's it."

Although Roethlisberger was able to sneak out of the hospital Wednesday night, Mercy Hospital officials did not confirm his release until Thursday morning at the request of his family.

It was unclear where Roethlisberger went when he left the hospital. A bodyguard outside Roethlisberger's home did not say if the player was inside, but several vehicles were parked in the driveway and on the street nearby.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #261
Hurst2112
College Starter

he's going to leave the NFL to do missionary work. you watch.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #262
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Bengals receiver Chad Johnson hopes the accident does not cause teams to impose more contractual limits on dangerous activities by players.

"They took away the [touchdown] celebrations. Now we can't enjoy ourselves outside of the facility? That's not fair," Johnson said.

what a f**kface.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #263
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Roethlisberger to be fined, cited--

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06170/699469-100.stm

And in other Steelers news...

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06170/699466-100.stm
Old 06-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #264
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Yay. What a winner. Hopefully he gets his act together...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #265
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how Bill will react to Holmes' latest arrest.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #266
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

He'll probably say "why the hell did I draft a guy from Ohio State?"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #267
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
He'll probably say "why the hell did I draft a guy from Ohio State?"

Isnt that the truth! How bad is that decesion looking for a franchise that prides itself on no off the field issues..... that makes # 2 for him within what 2 months???

Last edited by muns : 06-19-2006 at 03:37 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #268
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
what a f**kface.

Yeah.....Odd comparsion. Or at least put in a contract thing that says you must return all of your bonus money, and the right to cut you without penalty, if you decide to endanger your health outside the faculity.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #269
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Re: Santonio Holmes

It's really stupid to do these kinds of things BEFORE you sign your contract.

Heck, if I were the Steelers, I'd have half a mind to just let him re-enter the draft. Or (more likely) to trade away his rights (if possible). And it isn't just about proving a point. I really would hesitate to sink a first round signing bonus into this guy. Better to lose a first round pick than to lose the cap space that comes with signing him before he decides to kill someone.

I guess the Steelers could look at a contract that forces him to pay back bonus for trouble with the law--but I wonder if that would even be possible under the CBA.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-19-2006 at 03:48 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #270
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll drink the Kool-aid. He probably got pissed off at his baby momma's house, and yelled at her. And then she called the cops, and apparently everything is considered domestic violence these days. Which doesn't make it right, of course. There was no violence involved. The other arrest was a minor violation.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #271
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns
Isnt that the truth! How bad is that decesion looking for a franchise that prides itself on no off the field issues..... that makes # 2 for him within what 2 months???

2nd in 2 months...so he is on pace to break the standard currently being set by Chris Henry.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #272
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
2nd in 2 months...so he is on pace to break the standard currently being set by Chris Henry.

I said in a post awhile back that Homes was on his way to catching him.

Is there any prior trouble with Holmes? (outside of him being paid to play at Ohio St?)

This is really a brain dead move. The Steelers are going to lowball him at the contract table now and he doesn't have many options other than to sit out a year and keep his nose clean.

he's going to end up accepting a deal with a split signing bonus and behavior clauses that fill up ten pages.

Idiot.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm sure lots of spit spray will be involved.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #274
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Delayed dola

I wouldn't have drafted San Antonio Henry. While he has some plusses as a player, the 3 out of wedlock children with 2 baby-mommas at age 21 or 22 is a huge red flag for me. Just poor decision making on his part.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #275
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Back on the topic of Roethlisberger, I saw on ESPN this morning that the Pittsburgh police cited him with failure to wear a helmet and failure to have a motorcycle license. I thought it was legal to ride helmetless in PA, so why on EARTH would they cite him for it?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #276
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Back on the topic of Roethlisberger, I saw on ESPN this morning that the Pittsburgh police cited him with failure to wear a helmet and failure to have a motorcycle license. I thought it was legal to ride helmetless in PA, so why on EARTH would they cite him for it?

/tk
Legal to ride without a helmet, if you are over 21 and have 2+ years of riding experience and proper licensing. He is over 21, but fails on the 2nd half.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #277
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Legal to ride without a helmet, if you are over 21 and have 2+ years of riding experience and proper licensing. He is over 21, but fails on the 2nd half.

Yep. He had a permit, but it expired in march and he chose not to re-new it.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote