Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

OT: Hockey Trivia

This is my 1,000th post!

(Looks around, realizes nobody cares.)

Anyways.... in the spirit of the hockey playoffs, here's some NHL trivia. Feel free to add your own.

1. In the span of two weeks in one season, former Blues goalie Mike Luit allowed the goal that marked the first 50-goal season in Minnesota North Stars history and then the goal that marked the first 50-goal season in Maple Leafs history. Name the guys who scored those goals.

2. Former Calgary Flame (and official "Worst Hall of Famer ever") Joe Mullen is the only player in NHL history to get a penalty under what circumstances?

3. I'm a former power forward who's teams included the Leafs, Blues and Caps. However, my claim to fame was being Eric Lindros' linemate in junior. Who am I?

4. Speaking of Lindros linemates, Lindros played on a famous line called the "Legion of Doom" with John LeClair and Mike Renberg. But in his rookie season he played on a different link with Renberg and another player. Name the player and the "cool" name that their line was given.

5. Only once has the same first round draft pick been traded three times before being used. Name the pick, the three trades (two of which are well known) and the player who was finally picked with it.

Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Hmmm, Neil Broten part of the answer of #1?
Old 05-01-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
Hmmm, Neil Broten part of the answer of #1?
Nope... this is perhaps the only North Stars trivia questions that neither Broten or Brian Bellows is the answer to.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:13 PM   #4
klayman
College Benchwarmer

1. Dino Ciccarelli for the Stars, Rick Vaive for the Leafs.

3. Rob Pearson

4. I think the player was Brent Fedyk, but I can't remember the line name, so that's probably not it.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:17 PM   #5
Simms
FOBL Commish

1. Neal Broten and Rick Vaive (semi-guessing on the former, certain of the latter)

2. Not being dressed for the game (totally guessing)

3. Mike Craig (I lived in K-W during Lindros's junior days and got to see in person most of the epic battles between Oshawa and Kitchener (OHL Championship went 7 games, Memorial Cup Final went double OT) that year. If memory serves, the Generals' goalie was also none other than Fred Braithwaite.)

4. They were the "Crazy 8s" I think, but I'm waffling on the third guy. I know Recchi wears 8 now, so my gut says to go with him, but I can't shake the feeling that it was some lesser-known dude like Brent Fedyk or something.

5. No idea off the top of my head, but were Chicago and Vancouver involved at all? (If so, then I can recall the circumstances without giving it away for anybody else.)
Old 05-01-2003, 01:24 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Simms

4. They were the "Crazy 8s" I think, but I'm waffling on the third guy. I know Recchi wears 8 now, so my gut says to go with him, but I can't shake the feeling that it was some lesser-known dude like Brent Fedyk or something.

This one is right. Lindros: 88. Recchi: 8. Fedyk: 18.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

1. Vaive and Ciccarelli are correct.

2. No correct answers yet.

3. Rob Pearson is correct (Craig may have played junior with Lindros too, but he never played for the Caps or Blues I don't think)

4. Fedyk is the guy I was looking for, but you're right, Recchi was on the line too (not Renberg). It was the Crazy 8's.

5. No correct answers yet.

Edit: Simms, I think the trade(s) you're refering to are actually correct, even though it's not the one I was thinking of. I think that pick did also change hands three times. The questions should probably be asking for the "first" time it happened, not the "only" one.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-01-2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #8
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Hey...Renberg wasn't with the Flyers in Lindros' rookie year. Trick question!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #9
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Edit: Simms, I think the trade(s) you're refering to are actually correct, even though it's not the one I was thinking of. I think that pick did also change hands three times. The questions should probably be asking for the "first" time it happened, not the "only" one.

For the record, the McCabe/Sedin trade is what I'm thinking of, but to be honest, I have no idea how that whole episode went down. I just remember it being a clusterfuck on draft day, so I didn't think it was out of the question that one of the picks (#3 probably--the second Sedin) moved around two or three times.

Doesn't sound like that's the right answer though.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:55 PM   #10
Simms
FOBL Commish

Dola...

Is there anything more embarrassing than being 100% sure of an answer to a question, going so far as to be cocky (and funny™) in giving said answer, only to find out you were entirely wrong?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:16 PM   #11
klayman
College Benchwarmer

ok...did some checking on #5.

St. Louis loses 1st round 1996 and 1997 draft picks for signing Shayne Corson to Edmonton. St. Louis trades Curtis Joseph and Mike Grier to Edmonton for those same draft picks. St. Louis trades 1997 1st round draft pick, 5th round in 1996, Craig Johnson, Patrice Tardif, and Roman Vopat for Wayne Gretzky.

Matt Zultek was the player taken.

But, it actually happend twice, so you might not be counting the compensation for the Shayne Corson signing.

The other time was in 1994 for the 10th pick.

Eric Lindros traded from Quebec to Philadelphia in exchange for Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philadelphia's First Round draft choices in the 1993 (Jocelyn Thibault) and 1994 NHL Entry Drafts and $15 million.

Toronto Maple Leafs traded Wendel Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson and 1st round selection (Jeffrey Kealty) in 1994 to the Quebec Nordiques for Mats Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Warriner and 1st round selection (previously acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers) in 1994.

I know that the Leafs and Caps switched picks that year, but I don't know the exact trade.

The player was Nolan Baumgartner.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:03 PM   #12
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
The other time was in 1994 for the 10th pick.
This is the one I was thinking of (I did say "trade", which I don't think would count a compensation ruling). The Leafs/Caps trade involved a swap of 1st round picks as well as Mike Ridley going to the Leafs for Rob Pearson (see how this all ties together?).

All that work for Nolan Baumgartner.

As for the "other" right answer that Simms pointed out, it was the 1999 draft and did involve the Canucks moving into position to take the Sedins, but the actual pick that was dealt three times was the #4 overall that the Rangers used on Pavel Brendl.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:44 PM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

WTF is the answer on #2?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:54 PM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
WTF is the answer on #2?
I'm having trouble thinking of a decent hint. Let's say he was in a situation that's rare, but not unheard of. I can think of at least one player who was in the same situation during this year's playoffs (it was a Leaf). Of course, nobody ever gets a penalty, but he managed to.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:04 PM   #15
bbor
Pro Starter

PLaying with 2 sticks at once?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:17 AM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
PLaying with 2 sticks at once?
No... although I remember that happening this year (don't think it was in the playoffs, though).

This "situation" happened to a Leaf in this year's playoffs, and also to an Islander in last year's TOR/NYI series.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:47 AM   #17
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I'm going to guess and say get a penalty on a penalty shot...
Old 05-02-2003, 12:40 PM   #18
bbor
Pro Starter

Wearing the wrong sweater?

Old 05-02-2003, 12:53 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Did he get one before the game started? Or maybe for playing in a game where he was listed as a scratch (probably not....)?
Old 05-02-2003, 01:14 PM   #20
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Did he get one before the game started? Or maybe for playing in a game where he was listed as a scratch (probably not....)?

Hmm..this happened to the Leafs last play-offs.(to Robert Riechel i believe) but i don't think it is a penalty....i beleive the player is just not allowed to play that game.

Now what IS a penalty is if you are in the starting line-up and someone else is in your spot at the opening face-off.

Old 05-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
I'm going to guess and say get a penalty on a penalty shot...
Bingo. Mullen get a penalty for using an illegal stick during a penalty shot.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:21 PM   #22
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Bingo. Mullen get a penalty for using an illegal stick during a penalty shot.

Great hockey Trivia ML...

give us more!!

Old 05-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #23
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Woohoo! I got 4.5 right! I am the Hockey Triva God...kneel before me