Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Did Ozzie send in a goon?

Looking for a little clarification. I just heard Mike and Mike infer that Ozzie Guillen sent a rookie pitcher exclusively to hit Hank Blaylock with a pitch. Evidently the Rangers had hit AJ Pierzynski twice. Ozzie brought Sean Tracey into the game and Tracey got Blaylock to ground out. Ozzie immediately pulled Tracey for another reliever and was seen in the dugout throwing a water bottle and ripping Tracey to shreds. Then after the game, Tracey was sent down to the minors.

Did anyone see the video and did it look that way to you?

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I am watching Mike and Mike and from the clips they showed I would say yes.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, i cant believe someone broke another one of baseballs unwritten rules.

Last edited by stevew : 06-15-2006 at 07:22 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Crazy baseball, that rule about doing what your boss tells you to do is so wild!
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Reason No. 3451 why the White Sox winning the Series was a fluke and the gravy train will end one day. They sent down a kid for getting Hank Blalock out. What's next? Putting Jose Contreras on waivers for striking Derek Jeter?

Ozzie Guillen is one crazy mother. I think the's gotten way too much credit for the White Sox success. I think Chicago has won thanks to shrewd player development and acquisition, not Ozzie's crazy ass management.

I think I told this story before, but I was sitting behind the White Sox dugout for a Royals game and there was cute teenage usher working the aisle at the corner of the dugout. When the White Sox were at bat, Ozzie would come out and try to put the moves on her. She eventually ran up the aisle crying and didn't come back. What an ass.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I don't know if the White Sox will ever win another World Series again. However, they have one of the best records in baseball this year and will be in contention. So to call them a fluke at this point in the season is rather unfair.

Showalter and Guillen have had a feud dating back three years or so and AJ Pierziensky was hit earlier in the game for no apparent reason. Thus, Guillen wanted retaliation.

Guillen came in and cleaned up the mess of the Jerry Manuel era and got rid of the me first players (Thomas, Lee, Ordonez, Valentin). Did Guillen over react by sending the kid down to the minors? Probably, but he can't afford a misstep and have the team lose respect for him or the team concept.

As for Ozzie being an ass, well maybe he is, or maybe he isn't I wouldn't know. However, being an ass to a young girl has no impact on whether he is a good or bad manager. It just means he is an ass.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ozzie Guillen is an asshole. Low life scumsucker.

Son of a motherless goat if you will.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Guillen > Dusty
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
I don't know if the White Sox will ever win another World Series again. However, they have one of the best records in baseball this year and will be in contention. So to call them a fluke at this point in the season is rather unfair.
I'll admit I was unclear about that -- I consider the White Sox a fluke because they succeed despite having a crazy-ass manager. Eventually, I believe Ozzie's eccentricities will catch up with them and bring them down to earth.
Quote:
Guillen came in and cleaned up the mess of the Jerry Manuel era and got rid of the me first players (Thomas, Lee, Ordonez, Valentin).
When did the White Sox fire Kenny Williams? Last time I checked, he was the GM and he's the one who put the team together. That's what I mean by Ozzie getting too much credit -- I think the White Sox are succeeding because Williams has put together a great team, not because Ozzie is the second coming of Connie Mack.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
TroyF
Coordinator

The thing that baffles me in all of this is that the White Sox honestly feel the Rangers were going after AJ.

Ummm, yeah. You have Jim Thome, Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko in that lineup. And you hit the guy with the .427 slugging percentage. I know he's a good defensive catcher, but why on Earth would they be smacking AJ?

Then, as someone else mentioned, the kid gets an all star out and he gets sent down because of it. I know you have to stand up for your team and I realize all that goes with that. But for the love of God, the kid is getting his first chance in the bigs and Ozzie is wanting him to intentionally drill a guy and get a suspension his 3rd time out?

please. . .
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

VENEZUELA!!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

There is nobody I dislike more in baseball than Ozzie Guillen. He's a classless douchebag, and it's a shame he's been so successful because now we're going to have to see his idiocy for a long time.

By the way, even though I'm a Tiger fan, it has nothing to do with the Sox themselves. I have no ill-will toward them, or their fans. I just wish it was possible to drop Guillen and Hawk Harrelson off on a tiny island in the pacific with a pack of rabid wolves.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #13
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
When did the White Sox fire Kenny Williams? Last time I checked, he was the GM and he's the one who put the team together. That's what I mean by Ozzie getting too much credit -- I think the White Sox are succeeding because Williams has put together a great team, not because Ozzie is the second coming of Connie Mack.

Kenny Williams became GM of the White Sox in 2001, the year after the White sox won the division. He made such sterling moves as trading for David Wells and Todd Ritchie. He brought in Royce Clayton to be our everyday SS. Under his regime we were without a reliable catcher for four straight years. He trotted out Jose Canseco after the Devil Rays even gave up on him. He traded for Billy Koch after he lost his fastball. Prior to Guillen, Williams was known as a laughingstock as a GM.

Guillen came in with a certain philosophy about not relying on the home run and having a team first attitude. Did Guillen actually make the trades? No, but I believe he was instrumental in changing the mission statement of the White Sox. No way does Williams trade Lee for Podsednik without Guillen.

Also, Guillen is a great in game manager. He expects his starters to go 7, he lets them work out of jams, because hes always looking at the big picture. He realizes that he is going to need starters to pitch out of jams in the playoffs.

Anyway, its clear everyone hates Guillen. Maybe he is a douche, but to me he turned the White Sox around and he is a great manager. Of course, I am biased.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Kenny Williams became GM of the White Sox in 2001, the year after the White sox won the division. He made such sterling moves as trading for David Wells and Todd Ritchie. He brought in Royce Clayton to be our everyday SS. Under his regime we were without a reliable catcher for four straight years. He trotted out Jose Canseco after the Devil Rays even gave up on him. He traded for Billy Koch after he lost his fastball. Prior to Guillen, Williams was known as a laughingstock as a GM.

Guillen came in with a certain philosophy about not relying on the home run and having a team first attitude. Did Guillen actually make the trades? No, but I believe he was instrumental in changing the mission statement of the White Sox. No way does Williams trade Lee for Podsednik without Guillen.

Also, Guillen is a great in game manager. He expects his starters to go 7, he lets them work out of jams, because hes always looking at the big picture. He realizes that he is going to need starters to pitch out of jams in the playoffs.

Anyway, its clear everyone hates Guillen. Maybe he is a douche, but to me he turned the White Sox around and he is a great manager. Of course, I am biased.

No, most people aren't going to like a guy that flashes a choke sign to an opposing team, ask his young pitcher to drill a guy and send him down when he doesn't and just act like a scumbag a good portion of the time.

He's a solid in game manager.

As for changing the mission statement, I guess he did it again this year when they traded for Thome and became a team that hits a lot of HR?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
Adamski47
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Guillen > Dusty

Assistant Crack Whore > Guillen > Dusty
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #16
Adamski47
High School JV

Quote:
No way does Williams trade Lee for Podsednik without Guillen.

Way to go Ozzie!

It still amazes me that Chicagoeans (sp) think this was a fair (notice I didn't even say good) trade. CHW got ripped a new one. Keep the stats, I've already looked.

Last edited by Adamski47 : 06-15-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

They were a team that hit a lot of homeruns last year too if I remember correctly, it was just that it was more spread out.

I thought I remember hearing that they hit more homeruns than the Red Sox last year who every considers a big home run hitting team, I'm just too lazy to look it up .
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #18
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

He's a solid in game manager.

That is all I care about.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #19
rjolley
College Starter

The White Sox were 4th in the AL and 5th overall in HRs with 200, just above the Red Sox.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/...&sortByStat=HR
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #20
KevinNU7
College Starter

Thought I'd chime in here. If I was that player I would have went to the media after the game and told everyone my job was to pitch and I'm not some mob goon out there. If AJ believes he was hit intentionally then he should charge the mound.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
SunDevil
College Prospect

That rookie pitcher got fritz.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #22
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
That is all I care about.

That's all you care about NOW.

The other things will add up and lend to a short half life.

He got you the title and it isn't out of the question is schtick will last through this year and take you on another playoff run. I'd be happy with that as well. But in a year or two he's going to crash and crash hard. Be prepared.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #23
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Thought I'd chime in here. If I was that player I would have went to the media after the game and told everyone my job was to pitch and I'm not some mob goon out there. If AJ believes he was hit intentionally then he should charge the mound.

That's the problem with what the jack ass Guillen did to this poor kid. He put him in a no win situation.

Hit the guy and he's ejected and suspended. Would have been automatic. He then gets a repuation that follows him. Or he does what his job is and gets the hitter out.

Problem is if he says something like you just mentioned, he's known around baseball as a guy who doesn't stick up for his teammates. His best bet is to keep his mouth shut until he moves to another organization and plays under a manager that isn't an asshat.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #24
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
That's all you care about NOW.

The other things will add up and lend to a short half life.

He got you the title and it isn't out of the question is schtick will last through this year and take you on another playoff run. I'd be happy with that as well. But in a year or two he's going to crash and crash hard. Be prepared.

The Oracle has spoken.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #25
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
The Oracle has spoken.

Ozzie has already made his choice. Now he just needs to understand his choice.