Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2003, 12:49 AM   #1
JeffNights
College Prospect

Adopting a pet

Since i finally purchased my first house about a month ago, and being a single guy i figured it was time for me to get a dog.

i thought ,"sure no problem, matter of fact, to be a gret person, i'll adopt!"

so i go to the local shelters, seeing nothing but heartbreak there, i check out petfinder.com and find lots of great dogs! i prefer a larger dog, so i search for pitts,boxers, shepards, etc etc....come to find out most of the dogs on there have FOSTER homes that are working with the shelters that housed them. no problem, just contact the foster owners and there ya go.... yeah right.

seriously, i have no problems with the foster owners coming over and checking out my house and yard, but shit some take it a bit too far. the first lady came over, said the house was fine, but my yard didnt have a privacy fence, and she didnt think it was good for the animal. i'm thinking "Bitch, its a brand new fence...." she told me she'd get back with me.....but i doubt it.

And today, a second foster owner comes to check out my digs. a woman as well, she liked the house and the yard...but i'll be damned if i wasnt given a spanish inquistion(sp?). asked me about my personal habits, if i had a girlfriend, how often i go out....this went for about 20 minutes untill at one point she started looking her purse, and i thought she was searching for the rubber gloves and was going to order me to bend over.......needless to say, i dont think she was impressed.....now i'm a fairly down to earth guy, the problem i think is that htese foster owners get way too attached to the dog they are suppsoedly trying to find a home for....yeesh....anybody got a dog?

JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:01 AM   #2
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Just get a cat and forget about it.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:03 AM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Get one out of the paper or directly from animal control, if possible. The people that run the "foster" shelters (in my observation - my neighbors up the road do it) get money for it... sort of like welfare moms... and are reluctant to let decent dogs go... chances are, they'll only dump the problem mutts on you.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:49 AM   #4
condors
College Starter

i am not sure if the spca is just a local thing but i have always have gotten great dogs from them. I got two from them and it was no hassle just bring id and 50? dollars in cash, they gave me a bunch of free stuff both times, food, leash, colar, coupons etc
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:01 AM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Just drive around a good neighborhood and look for one you like. Then steal it.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:09 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz

Just make sure it's far enough away that the dog would have trouble finding its way home.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:47 AM   #7
scooper
College Benchwarmer

My dog's an SPCA mutt and he's the best dog I've had in my life. It's like he thinks he's lucky we came and got him and he wants to show it. The fact is, we were the lucky ones.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:20 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I say adopt a dog from the pound and therefore saving a life ...The Dog will remain loyal to you because of it !
Old 05-01-2003, 01:41 PM   #9
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz

Fritz does this with teenage girls.

And this advice:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Just make sure it's far enough away that the ... would have trouble finding its way home.

Still applies
Old 05-01-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

SCPAs and local shelters have quick turnarounds. Keep going back until you find the dog you want. My parents have a great mutt. They got it from a "free puppies to good home" ad in the paper. We spent a lot of time going to the shelter various times and going to lots of "free puppies to good home" places until we found the right dog.

This is a 15 year commitment, if something does not feel quite right about the dog or the place from where you are getting it, wait and check another place.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:19 PM   #11
Buzzbee
College Starter

Something to consider. Bigger dogs have bigger problems, so be aware, it can get expensive. This is especially true for strays and dogs from the pound. I'm not saying anything against that route, but want to point out some negatives that can offset the positives.

One advantage of going through a breeder rather than the local pound is that breeders (if they are reputable, which is not always the case) tend to breed out unwanted traits. An example would be hip displaysia. This is a problem that is common in bigger dogs. Some breeders will choose not to breed a dog that exhibits this problem. As a result, the puppies that are bred are less likely to have the problem since it is something that is passed down from the puppy's parents.

My personal experience: I wanted a labrador and a friend of the family called one day saying that they had a stray lab whose owner couldn't be located. Knowing we would provide a good home, they asked if we wanted it. We said yes. Jake is a great dog, but does have hip displaysia and will eventually find it difficult to get up or even walk. The treatment: pain killers/arthritis pills in mild cases, expensive surgery in severe cases, or being put to sleep for owners who would go that route.

I just spent more money than I care to admit to for knee surgery for Jake. I didn't even hesitate to spend the money because he is a great dog. However, owning a pet can be expensive, so be prepared for it.

AND FIND A GOOD VET!!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 06:36 PM   #12
tucker342
Pro Starter

I have a dog.
got him from the local pound in Janurary.

He's a great dog.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:46 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I agree with the cautions about the foster home route & recommend taking another look or two at the local pounds, Humane Society's, shelters, etc.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:58 PM   #14
korme
Go Reds

i have two of the fattest cats in the world. they puke on the carpet like they were born to do so.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:31 PM   #15
Ekoostik Head
n00b

I have a boxer and a vizsla. the boxer is laid back and not real bright, but the vizsla is real smart and active.
Ekoostik Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #16
Bad-example
College Starter

Make sure you get a puppy. It will be your pet all the more if you bond with it at an early age, and that way you can be assured it gets enough love and NUTRITION during those early months.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:50 PM   #17
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I have a cat and and dog.

Both weigh about 14 lbs each. My dog, Abbey is a poodle/laso and my cat a yellow tabby and loves alot of attention which is rare for a cat.

My cat TJ, is adopted.

Dogs are a joy to have once you have them potty trained to where they go outside and do their duty. Dog food, an occassional toy and treats are needed.

Cats, you would have to buy a litter box, litter along with cat food and toys. Otherwise unlessthey are declawed will have fun with you furniture or carpet.

Good Luck with your decision.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:27 PM   #18
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I have cats, all strays and unwanteds. 2 dumped at the local park. One I found half dead on the side of the road on the way home from work. It's now the biggest and has these freakishly huge paws. I think it's part ocelot or something.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote