Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #51
SFL Cat
College Starter

He's definitely not a first ballot HOFer, if ever.

SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:02 AM   #52
Franklinnoble
Banned

Funny thing about it is, Art Monk is the sort of guy who doesn't give a darn about making the HOF nearly as much as his fans do. He was always the quiet, steady professional. Didn't have much to say, and he didn't spend much time with the media. That, more than his perceived lack of production, probably hurt his chances more than anything.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #53
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Funny thing about it is, Art Monk is the sort of guy who doesn't give a darn about making the HOF nearly as much as his fans do. He was always the quiet, steady professional. Didn't have much to say, and he didn't spend much time with the media. That, more than his perceived lack of production, probably hurt his chances more than anything.

Jerry Rice never talked. Neither did Steve Largent-- at least before he bacame a politician. It's the production.

If Monk had been a five-time All-pro, he'd be in the Hall already.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #54
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
Jerry Rice never talked. ...

Nah he let his wife do that.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #55
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I agree with JG, Monk deserves to be in if they are considering the likes of Smith.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #56
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I agree with JG, Monk deserves to be in if they are considering the likes of Smith.

Why? Smith was a significantly more productive receiver-- both in terms of overall production and production relative to his peers. Smith is not good candidate. But he's better than Monk.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #57
st.cronin
General Manager

I really don't care at all, but when Monk was active, wasn't he widely considered a future hall of famer? I could swear that's how he was regarded.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #58
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I really don't care at all, but when Monk was active, wasn't he widely considered a future hall of famer? I could swear that's how he was regarded.

Which is why we wait five years to vote on players. You won't find many three-time All-Pros in the Hall. Monk was a compiler. Had either reception record stood up for a while, he'd be in. But neither one lasted that long. And we're not talking about him being number two. His records were totally blown by.

Contrary to what people in this thread are saying, he played under the same rules as Rice, Largent (who preceded him and managed better numbers), Smith, Sharpe, Irvin, and Clark-- all of whom put up better numbers.

I'm going to throw out a name-- Al Toon. Jet's fans will surely remember him. Is he a Hall of Famer? His career was cut short by multiple concussion syndrome. I haven't even looked at his stats yet. But here is his card:

Code:
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD | +----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+ | 1985 nyj | 15 | 1 5 5.0 0 | 46 662 14.4 3 | | 1986 nyj | 16 | 2 -3 -1.5 0 | 85 1176 13.8 8 | | 1987 nyj | 12 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 68 976 14.4 5 | | 1988 nyj | 15 | 1 5 5.0 0 | 93 1067 11.5 5 | | 1989 nyj | 11 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 63 693 11.0 2 | | 1990 nyj | 14 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 57 757 13.3 6 | | 1991 nyj | 15 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 74 963 13.0 0 | | 1992 nyj | 9 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 31 311 10.0 2 | +----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+ | TOTAL | 107 | 4 7 1.8 0 | 517 6605 12.8 31 | +----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+ Seasons among the league's top 10 Receptions: 1986-3, 1987-2, 1988-1, 1991-8 Receiving yards: 1986-5, 1987-6, 1988-10 Receiving TDs: 1986-10t

That's also the career of a three-time All-Pro. Now, Monk's career numbers are greatly superior. But, there were the same number of Years that they were considered among the best in the league at what they do. the main difference between them is about 8 average seasons.

Last edited by oykib : 05-13-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #59
Clark
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

Yes.
Quote from the 1991 Sporting News Pro Football Yearbook, "Monk continued his run toward the Hall of Fame by becoming the third receiver ever to catch 700 passes. He needs 21 to pass second place Charlie Jonier and is 89 catches behind Steve Largent."
Quote from The Football Encyclopedia, "Rypien was able to open it up and throw long to a corps of receivers that included future Hall of Famer Art Monk.."

He was an excellent player. An important member of four Redskins teams that made it to the Super Bowl. Definitely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #60
Bad-example
College Starter

Andre Rison = Art Monk < HOF
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #61
Warhammer
Pro Starter

One thing everyone forgets is that Monk was the go-to receiver when the Redskins needed a catch. Yes, Clark and I forget the other guy in the Smurfs were the deep threats, but whenever they needed a first down, or a shot in the arm they looked to Monk.

When you have three above average WRs, they are going to take balls from each other.

For a few years in the late 90s, Jimmy Smith WAS regarded as one of the best WRs in football. I remember in 99 when I first got into Fantasy Football that Smith was a player you wanted because he was very underrated, and if you could get him, you would do as well as or better than a bunch of WRs taken in front of him.

Another thing, being All-Pro or making the All-Star game in the NFL is not the same as in baseball because many players get into it based upon reputation, so just because he was only selected 3,4, or 5 times does not indicate that he should have not gotten in more times. Hell, Isaac Bruce caught 119 passes one year and didn't get in (on a brutal Rams squad at that!).

That brings up my question which pertains to Bruce, one of my favorite players. How do you judge players that have high quality top 10 players opposite them? Bruce and Holt have both posted good numbers, but they also hurt each other from the standpoint of raw production because there are only so many balls to go around. Plus, throw in that they had Ricky Proel and Az-Hakim, and later Curtis and McDonald taking passes from them since they were such good #3 and #4 guys.

How do you take this into account when it comes to the HOF?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote