Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2003, 02:06 AM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Bills sure did mess up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ahee_henry_ap/

Ouch... Henry is NOT happy. Not smart to piss off your pro-bowl RB .

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:09 AM   #2
astralhaze
College Prospect

Eh, Travis, when you hit free agency don't you think the Bills will be upset that you might leave? Cuts both ways boyeeee.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:11 AM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but if they didn't sign McGahee, maybe he'd be more inclined to sign that extension .

I'd be pissed off too.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:18 AM   #4
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

If I were Henry I would be mad to. More than likey, McGahee will probably sign a contract for more money then Henry gets and sit on the bench most of the year while he recovers.

I never have quite had the same stock for McGahee even before the injury. Yes he was a good back in college, but so was Rashaan Salaam, Curt Enis, etc.... If it were not for Gore's knee injury McGahee would not have been starting.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:59 AM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by mtolson
If it were not for Gore's knee injury McGahee would not have been starting.

And if it were for Green's injury Warner never would have started. If Brad Johnson hadn't gotten hurt in '98 Cunningham would have never had the season he had, this doesn't make McGahee any worse.

McGahee looks to be coming back from the injury very well, and I'd expect him to be better than Henry but at least next year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
Rich1033
High School Varsity

At the least I think McGahee can hold onto the ball better then Henry has so far.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:31 PM   #7
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I think that this will spark a civil war in the team .
Old 04-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #8
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I don't see Herny as a franchise-type back that McGahee has the caliber of. McGahee is more complete then Herny, and at 5'9", can Herny hwithstand years of battling?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
Samdari
Roster Filler

I agree with SunDancer. Henry is an above average back at best, probably more like an average back. Guys like him are available all the time. He had a breakout year because of the 5,000 yd QB and the three good WRs, as well as good young offensive line. If McGahee does not turn into a stud, guys like Henry can be found.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:19 PM   #10
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

"Redshirted in 2000 and played in eight games in '01 as the team's No. 3 running back behind Clinton Portis and Frank Gore. Some scouts think he declared because he was not the best running back at Miami and knew he wouldn't win the starting job back. " Pro Football Weekly.

This is what I was referring to. Is he bad, no, by not any means. But one good year does not make him a great back, not even taking into fact the injury he sustained (twice !!). Very few RB return to themselves after severly injuring legs once, let alone twice. He will not run the same !!!!!!

"And if it were for Green's injury Warner never would have started. If Brad Johnson hadn't gotten hurt in '98 Cunningham would have never had the season he had, this doesn't make McGahee any worse."

Players should step up to the plate when replacing injured teams mates. Doesn't necessarly make them them better player than the player they replaced. For every player that outplayed thier injured team mate you can probably name 5 players who were highly ranked in college but could not transition to the Pro's. Andre Ware tore it up in college, I guess if he had backed up Brad Johnson in '98 we would be talking about him as the greatest.

Randall was a good player most of his career. A season like that was not a "one-shot" wonder. As far as Kurt Warner, hell, any QB the RAMS put on the field appears to be great. Marc Bulger is all the sudden a starter. Got to think the system has alot to do with it. Green looked real good until hurt, then Warner looked real good until recent, now Bulger looks real good.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:30 PM   #11
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
"Redshirted in 2000 and played in eight games in '01 as the team's No. 3 running back behind Clinton Portis and Frank Gore. Some scouts think he declared because he was not the best running back at Miami and knew he wouldn't win the starting job back. " Pro Football Weekly.

This is what I was referring to. Is he bad, no, by not any means. But one good year does not make him a great back, not even taking into fact the injury he sustained (twice !!). Very few RB return to themselves after severly injuring legs once, let alone twice. He will not run the same !!!!!!

"And if it were for Green's injury Warner never would have started. If Brad Johnson hadn't gotten hurt in '98 Cunningham would have never had the season he had, this doesn't make McGahee any worse."

Players should step up to the plate when replacing injured teams mates. Doesn't necessarly make them them better player than the player they replaced. For every player that outplayed thier injured team mate you can probably name 5 players who were highly ranked in college but could not transition to the Pro's. Andre Ware tore it up in college, I guess if he had backed up Brad Johnson in '98 we would be talking about him as the greatest.

Randall was a good player most of his career. A season like that was not a "one-shot" wonder. As far as Kurt Warner, hell, any QB the RAMS put on the field appears to be great. Marc Bulger is all the sudden a starter. Got to think the system has alot to do with it. Green looked real good until hurt, then Warner looked real good until recent, now Bulger looks real good.

Yes, but how many college backs get more than two years of playing time starting? Also, he declared after just two seasons of actually playing. I don't Portis played for much, having sit behind James Jackson?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:01 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Got to think the system has alot to do with it. Green looked real good until hurt, then Warner looked real good until recent, now Bulger looks real good.

I actually agree with you there, I've never thought Warner was a real great QB, but it helped a bit for my point that I think McGahee will be a great back in the league.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:38 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Peter King weighs in (he's totally right):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2003/04/28/mmqb/

Henry should be pissed off. The guy had a GREAT year in his second season. He looks amazing. I'm thinking this is Ricky Williams / Deuce McAllister all over again. How does Buffalo get into these situations? I mean Rob Johnson / Doug Flutie was not that long at all!
Old 04-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #14
AgPete
College Prospect

Don't forget McGahee holds the Miami record for running back receptions. (The former recordholder was Edgerrin James.) I'm sure Bledsoe wouldn't mind having another receiving threat in his arsenal. I don't think you can ever have too much talent at one spot. If both McGahee and Henry becomes stars in this league, the Bills can always copy New Orleans and get an extra first round pick.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

OK, I'm curious, what has Henry accomplished again?

Look, he had a nice season last year. 1400+ yards of rushing.

Still, his longest play from scrimmage on the year was 34 yards. He put the ball on the ground 11 times, and lost 8 of those fumbles. His size has also been mentioned. How many years of 325+ carries can he take?

He backs up this year with another big year, then we can worry about what this pick means to him. If it pisses him off to play harder and fix some of those few shortcomings he's shown, all the better for the Bills.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:51 PM   #16
rexalllsc
Banned

McGahee holds the Miami single-season rushing record, guys...he's pretty freakin' sick.
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:43 PM   #17
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I mean, look at this way.

The Broncos, Giants, Colts, Saints all were really good teams, some of them even making it to the Super Bowl. Denver has TD and Anderson rotating, Colts are a playoff team with the depth at back, Giants had a strong tandem of Dayne and barber powering it out. It's going to allow the Bills to keep to really wear down the defenses with three potential No. 1 backs, and take the pressure off of a quarterback like Bledsoe, who fell off alittle at the end of last season due to being the player to kickstart the Bills.

The Bills will get a franchise back in Willis, and can trade Herny for a possible first rounder, and really sets them up well for the future. I don't see a player who would be worth the No. 23 pick that really filled a need, and they really helped the depth issues by grabbing players such as DE Chris Kelsey (who was a projected first round pick). I mean, they needed to build depth, and didn't need a starter. They got good depth with the rest of the picks, and will prolly add some guys in the June 1st "sale".
Old 04-29-2003, 01:36 AM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, I'm curious, what has Henry accomplished again?

Look, he had a nice season last year. 1400+ yards of rushing.

You just answered your own question. What happens if McGahee doesn't make it? Then you have a pissed off Henry who is just waiting for Free Agency to leave (you know, since the team hasn't shown loyalty to me, I won't show it to them).

Or, what if McGahee becomes a back of Henry's talent? Then you have an issue that rips apart the team. Chemistry is important, and when you have divisive issues that hurts (witness Buffalo a few years back re: QB).
Old 04-29-2003, 02:03 AM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And let's not forget that the Bills are essentially forfeiting this year by doing this. Is a whole season worth it to get future depth at a position?

If the Bills were coming off of a Super Bowl season with little to no holes in their lineup and going strictly for backups, then, okay, I do this in a second. But they're not.

If I'm Buffalo, my defense is piss poor and I lose one of my best receivers, so I'm thinking maybe I should do something about that instead. King said it very well in his article (for those of you who didn't check the link). This was a good draft for down linemen and secondary players, and the Bills could have used immediate help in either area.

Instead, they picked a guy they probably won't see on the field until Fall 2004--at their deepest position.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote