Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
KWhit
Coordinator

I have been DOWNSIZED!!!!

Okay, I'm trying to stay positive, but I was laid off last week. I worked for a software company who is running out of money due to a lack of clients. I sort of knew it was coming, but it still sucks big time.

So I'm in resume update mode now. But one of my problems is that I think I want a career change but don't know exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life. I'm 31 (still pretty young) but the thought of "starting over" scares me.

Anyone have any pep-talks, words of advice, or job offers?

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

Sorry to hear that, hang in there. No real words of wisdom, etc but "been there"(with my family) and God always provided in ways that I couldn't have imagined.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

I've been there, too, and I can echo FBPro's sentiments... for some reason, God took care of me (can't imagine why... I'm certainly not doing HIM any favors), and things worked out.

Just remember to be "cocky and funny" during all your upcoming job interviews.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:45 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I hear ya buddy. I'm a software developer for a consulting company, and just found out 2 weeks ago that our client has used a clause to sever our contract. So in about 2 and a half months, if my company can't find another client for us, we will likely all be out of work. Given that we haven't signed a contract in like 2 years, I'm not counting on that happening

Anyways, it's been a long 14 days, but things are starting to look up. I'm mailing out a whole tonne of resumes today, and in the last few days 2 or 3 potential opportunities have presented themselves through contacts and such. Hopefully one or two of those will work out.

I've had the "is this really what I want to do with my life?" thoughts as well. Luckily I'm a little younger (25), but with 5 years of experience it would still be quite a shock to have to go back to school. Also, like you, I'm not even sure what else I would like to do.

All I can say is keep your head up, follow your heart, and don't let them see you sweat. Hopefully a year from now this uncertainty will be a distant memory for both of us (and others in this situation as well).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

Believe it or not, I'm voluntarily quitting at the end of the month (damn, I must be stupid), but the 5 hour commute to see the girlfriend is too much ... and the girlfriend won.

Anyways, here's some thoughts, take them for what they are worth:

1. File for unemployment - yes, it's humbling and you may think it carries a stigma, but it's free money (well, minus taxes) and many states you can apply online.

2. Network, network, network (and I don't mean the computer types). Most jobs are filled by referral, not via websites. Don't worry about bothering your friends, they'll understand plus some companies actually still pay people for successful referrals.

3. Use recruiters. They don't cost you anything, and the good ones have strong contacts within organizations.

4. Use Temp agencies. Yeah, temping can be demeaning, but alot of tech folks get permanent jobs by starting as a temp for a firm and proving your worth.

5. Be open. A career change may sound like a good idea, but in a bad economy, your timing may be a bit off. It's easier to get a job when you have a job, so settle for a little less for now, and jump ship quick when the economy turns.

6. Settle in for the long haul. Don't get frustrated if it takes several months (or longer) to find a job. Enjoy your 'free time', but financially plan to be frugal for a while.

7. Keep a regular schedule. It's extremely easy to drift into the 'wake at noon, play ps2 til midnight' mode. Set aside a block of time every day for job searching, working out, etc... and stick to it. It'll make the transition back easier too.

Anyways, just some thoughts from having been there. Above all, don't get down. Some of the smartest people I know are looking for jobs right now, so there's a lot to be said about timing and luck.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Sounds like my story. My employer built up a large number of projects in short order a couple of years ago which contributed to mass hirings (including me). They slowed down the incoming projects, but were too "successful" at it and now we're facing layoffs. Notification is supposed to be as soon as first of the month, certainly by the end of next week as they only have funding guaranteed for all employees through the end of July (all layoffs are getting a ninety-day notice).

I'm young (27) and, relatively speaking, starting out in the world. There are plenty here who have worked a dozen years or more and are facing the axe through no fault of their own. So, I don't feel too bad for myself if things go bad, but there are others who will definitely be in a spot if they're gone. I'm also not loyal to the place I live in and would love the excuse to move back from whence I came.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:45 PM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

Good advice guys. I have filed for unemployment and am doing my best to let everyone know that I'm jobhunting so hopefully something good will come of it.

I appreciate the kind words. I keep telling myself that this could very well end up being one of the best things that could happen to me. I'll admit: I have been a victim to inertia career-wise and it was definitely time for a change. I just wish it would have been ME who decided when and how the change was made.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:50 PM   #8
TLK
Pro Starter

This recently happened to me. I work for a union company, and they closed stores other than the one I worked in. So naturally all of their employees bumped into my store. I only had three years experience, but had worked myself into a management role that paid very well. I decided to hang-on at a lower position but at the same pay. More recently however, more stores have been closed and the end looks near. I really don't feel too bad for myself, I'm young (22), but for the people that are in their 50's and are gonna have to start over.

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:51 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

KWhit: Been there twice now with theatre companies folding. Don't know what to tell you except keep at it. For me it has been very hard, but now I think I am headed in the right direction. The only thing I would say is keep true to what you want to do. Its been hard, but I refuse to get stuck in a deadend situation where I dread going to work every day. I had that for a few months, and it really sapped the life right out of me.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:15 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, I started an essentially new career at the age of 33 and it was the most profitable move of my adult life.

My unsolicited advice? Don't let the age thing throw you, just remember how much more you know now than you did "back when".
Old 04-28-2003, 05:23 PM   #11
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
FWIW, I started an essentially new career at the age of 33 and it was the most profitable move of my adult life.

My unsolicited advice? Don't let the age thing throw you, just remember how much more you know now than you did "back when".

I'm still waiting for you to expand your services to Oklahoma City so I can be your underling.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:26 PM   #12
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Good luck and I echo what FBPro said.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #13
Buzzbee
College Starter

KWhit - What type of software development? I work in the software industry and while I don't know of any specific openings (except one contract job for a .net developer) I keep in touch with former co-workers and from time to time will hear of openings. Let me know some of your qualifications so that I can keep an eye out. I'm here in Atlanta also.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:47 PM   #14
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
KWhit - What type of software development? I work in the software industry and while I don't know of any specific openings (except one contract job for a .net developer) I keep in touch with former co-workers and from time to time will hear of openings. Let me know some of your qualifications so that I can keep an eye out. I'm here in Atlanta also.

Thanks Buzz.

I work in IT implementing mainframe applications. The software company I worked for is a developer of financial apps such as General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Procurement, etc... I consulted for them for 6 years. Good money, tons of travel (I won't be missing getting on an airplane every Monday).

I'm not a techie. I'm a functional type who specializes in training, testing, technical documentation, and system design. I have done some COBOL but am no expert.

I think my best assests are my training abilities and my writing skills.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:50 PM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

Dola.

I just sent out an email to the CEO requesting more severance pay. I don't know why, but it was very hard to click that "Send" button. I've only spoken to him once in my life and it was strange to actually be sending him an email. Wierd! What can he do to me now - fire me?!?
Old 04-28-2003, 06:05 PM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Dola.

I just sent out an email to the CEO requesting more severance pay. I don't know why, but it was very hard to click that "Send" button. I've only spoken to him once in my life and it was strange to actually be sending him an email. Wierd! What can he do to me now - fire me?!?

No... but he'll probably laugh his ass off.

Seriously, though... you should NEVER be intimidated by some rich fat white guy's title (now, watch... your former CEO is probably a black woman built like Serena Williams). After all, they put on their pants and codpieces like the rest of us...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:25 PM   #17
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Thanks Buzz.

I work in IT implementing mainframe applications. The software company I worked for is a developer of financial apps such as General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Procurement, etc... I consulted for them for 6 years. Good money, tons of travel (I won't be missing getting on an airplane every Monday).

I'm not a techie. I'm a functional type who specializes in training, testing, technical documentation, and system design. I have done some COBOL but am no expert.

I think my best assests are my training abilities and my writing skills.

Interesting! Company name? I support a mainframe HR application and until recently supported financials (Accounts Receivable, Revenue Accounting primarily) in a client/server environment. Geac.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:51 PM   #18
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Interesting! Company name? I support a mainframe HR application and until recently supported financials (Accounts Receivable, Revenue Accounting primarily) in a client/server environment. Geac.

Elevon is the name of the company - used to be known as Walker Interactive Systems. They're based in San Fran.

BTW, they sent me a certified letter today that I missed. So I had to go stand in line for 45 minutes at the post office to get the letter which asks if I want to exercise my stock options that allow mw to buy 1000 shares of Elevon stock at $3.00 a share. Of course the stock is trading at $1.07 right now (and hasn't been above $2.00 in the past 2-3 years). Thanks for the freaking letter!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:33 PM   #19
tucker342
Pro Starter

that sucks! Hang in there.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:53 PM   #20
digamma
Torchbearer

I would echo all of the sentiments here and add one piece of advice regarding recruiters. Be very picky with them--make sure they know you, what you are interested in, what your skill set supports...and most importantly, make sure they are keeping these things in mind when they are looking for you. One of my best friends just went through a prolonged period of unemployment. He kept getting interviews through his headhunter, but they were almost all for positions he was not interested in or over/underqualified for. He switched recruiters and found a job he likes very much fairly quickly.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:24 AM   #21
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

and most of when you feel down - visit this site:

http://www.oddtodd.com/index2.html
44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote