Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Lightbulb Question for Bears fans

If QB was one of the targets of Chicago, why not take Leftwich at No. 4? He is arguably the best QB in the draft and (IMO) a difference maker at the position. You could have gotten a comparable DE to Haynes in early round 2. I don't see how you pass on Leftwich at 4, then trade down and take Grossman. You only have so many chances at blue chip talents, esp at QB. And Leftwich was one of those.

Arlie

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Agree.... though I'm not a Bears Fan.

Leftwich, and say... Chris Kelsay or Kenny Peterson would have been better.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I don't know what Bears Management was thinking. Hopefully they knew what they were doing. I really wanted to see Leftwhich a Bear.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
detroit_fan
H.S. Freshman Team

Probably about "10 million" reasons.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:19 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Why?

High 1st round QB's are a crapshoot, and the Bears are hurting in other areas as well as QB. And as I said earlier, with Kordell, the Bears can give Grossman some time to learn on the sidelines.

Leftwich & Kordell woulda made no sense. I personally woulda drafted QB in the 2nd round, and gone for something else with their other 1st rounder, but I have no problems with their strategy.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Cade McNown.

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:36 PM   #7
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I think Leftwich will be a great pro...but as a Bears fan, I can understand them being wary about his twice broken leg (among other things)
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 06:06 PM   #8
The_herd
College Starter

Angelo doen't believe in taking a chance on QBs in the 1st round, so he decided to trade down and get a extra 1st round pick to make the selection of a QB a little easier. If the Bears take Leftwich and he turns out to be a bust, then they most likely get nothing out of a draft that is very important for this team. Basically the Bears chose to punt and play it safe with this draft.

I actually like the selection of Grossman, and the combination of Haynes and Alex Brown should be very good. Grossman will be a better fit in the Bears offense than Leftwich would have been. Its good for both parties really, because Leftwich goes to a Jaguars team whose offense will use his arm a lot more than the Bears offense would.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:21 PM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

Leftwich or Grossman, now that's a tough choice. They should have picked Leftwich. I may be a little bit biased though, cause I can't stand Grossman.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:30 PM   #10
NevStar
High School Varsity

I like the pick of Grossman because it kept the Packers from getting him.

Packer Grossman = the next Brett Favre
Bear Grossman = the next Erik Kramer (if we're lucky) Shoop must die!
Old 04-26-2003, 11:34 PM   #11
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I still do not understand why they allow Shoop to live. I can't fathom what the Bear's brain trust sees in him.

Plain and simple, he is not a good offensive coordinator. It's been seen time and time again. The Bears are never going to be a serious playoff team with Shoop. Quick Outs and Draws on 3rd and 20 just don't work.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:20 PM   #12
kid_dynamite
Mascot

they got a fine QB and a fine DE instead of just a fine QB. so i take the two instead of the one IMO
Old 04-27-2003, 10:42 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, they got an average QB and a fine DE, instead of a great QB and above average DE. I'd take the later.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:58 AM   #14
Arles
Grey Dog Software

BTW, this whole interest of GB being interested in Grossman was a bit of a smokescreen. On Friday, Sherman hinted that he wasn't going to go QB. Then, it came out that Ron Wolf's advice to Sherman on taking a QB in the first round was "Pass".

In fact, the only QB Sherman would have considered was Boller, as he felt that Grossman was not a good fit in GB:

-----
"I liked Boller," coach Mike Sherman said. "Boller would have been a strong consideration if he was there. But I'm not disappointed the quarterback wasn't there for us to pick."

"The Packers had major reservations about Grossman's height (6-1) and marginal athletic ability. Whereas there would have been debate between Boller and Barnett at 29, there would have been none if Grossman had come down to the Packers' pick."

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/rev/apr03/136670.asp
---------

In fact, in spite of the media's focus, no one in GB ever showed more than a passing interest in Grossman with the three LBs (Bailey, Henderson, Barnett) and Peterson receiving most of the attention from the staff. IMO, I think that GB was possibly trying to hype up Grossman and Boller in hopes that one would still be on the board when they picked, so that the Pack could more value in a potential trade down (with someone like Oakland or Chicago).

Another interesting point in another article said that the decision at LB was between Bailey and Barnett (Henderson was viewed as too slow for GB's system, in addition to the back injury). GB chose Barnett because of Bailey's questionable tackling and the fact that his knees failed the team's physical.

"When Reggie McKenzie tells me, 'Coach, you have to modify his workouts in camp because of knees,' why risk it?" Sherman said. "If he was healthy, that'd be a different evaluation."

Arlie

Last edited by Arles : 04-28-2003 at 01:01 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:31 AM   #15
astralhaze
College Prospect

Grossman reminds me of Ryan Leaf in terms of personality. Not a good thing, obviously.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:32 AM   #16
ratpfink
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
Why?

High 1st round QB's are a crapshoot...
They may be a crapshoot, but 1st round QBs are a much better crapshoot than QBs taken in any later round.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:54 AM   #17
Bee
Pro Starter

The Bears are afraid of taking a chance. Guess this current front office would have traded out of the #4 spot when they drafted Sweetness too.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:13 AM   #18
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by RonnieDobbs
Cade McNown.

There is still a considerable "McNown-Hangover" here in Chicago. Obviously other matters were considered as well, but I think that risking a 22nd pick on a QB is more palatable around here than risking a top-5 pick.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote