Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Thumbs down Who had the Worst Draft..so far?

Personally...as a niners fan..I beileve the 49ers had the worst draft after 3 rounds. They got a good player in Kwame Harris..I've been watching him since he came to Stanford(I live less than a mile away from Stanford) and he's a solid player. Other than Harris I don't see anything special. Anthony Adams is undersized at 5'11 and isn't a very explosive player...He's more of a third round or fourth round pick than a second round pick. Andrew Williams is a project player who won't make an impact this year.

"I might be wrong, but I doubt it."

Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I think that Arizona and the Raiders each blew both of their respective first round picks.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

And my New York Jets have everyone scratching their heads. DeWayne Robertson is good, but he cost them the #13, #22 and their 4th round pick. And then as if Jim G. himself has programmed the front office, they reach in cosecutive rounds for LB Victor Hobson and FB (fullback!!!) B.J. Askew - both from Michigan. Both Wolverines were taken too early for my tastes. The FB pick is basically a throwaway, and not needed this season in any way.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:45 PM   #4
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I agree with cthomer5000 about the Jets. They are followed closely by AZ.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

It is tough to overlook being played and just not making a pick until 2 later...GO VIKES!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:29 PM   #6
sianews
Mascot

Hands down, the Browns.
sianews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:32 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
It is tough to overlook being played and just not making a pick until 2 later...GO VIKES!

That one was great. Even better, they've now done it for two season in a row!!!

The Mike Tice interview with Berman right afterward was an instant classic moment too...

Berman: What happened there?
Tice: Gee, huh, mmh, I donnow, ummhh we we're huh talking with huh, gee, another team and well... (blank moment) Well we got our guy anyway...

I was laughing quite hard right there...

FrogMan
Old 04-26-2003, 10:33 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Who had the worst draft?
  • QB Chris Simms, Texas
  • G Vince Manuwai, Hawaii
  • T Wayne Hunter, Hawaii
  • TE Jason Witten, Tennessee
  • All Running Backs
Old 04-26-2003, 10:36 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I guess I need to quit scratching my head during the draft in FOF4!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:48 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I was amazed at how far Chris Simms fell. He really thought he was going late 1st/early 2nd. Lucky for him he at least got selected today, that would have been a rough night of sleep had he not.

Doest Tampa not have one hell of a QB competition for roster spots next season?

Brad Johnson
-----------------
Shane Matthews
Shaun King
Jim Miller
Chris Simms
Old 04-26-2003, 10:53 PM   #11
Havok
College Starter

Shaun Kings sucks.... and Shane Matthews isnt much better.

BJ is the starter, Miller is number 2 and Simms number 3.

Thats what i'd pick anyway.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:01 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan
That one was great. Even better, they've now done it for two season in a row!!!

The didn't run out of time last year, the Cowboys did.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:01 PM   #13
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Hey Havoc, did you think that Minnesota screwed up and actually drafted a good ballplayer in the second round with Henderson? They must have thrown out their warped logic that they seem to use in the first round

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 04-26-2003 at 11:02 PM.
Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:13 PM   #14
Havok
College Starter

E.J. is a STUD!! i've enjoyed watching him play these last few years. i think the Vikings got a steal with him. I can't believe he fell to the second round of the draft. That guy was in on every tackle we made the last 2 years it seems.

But lucky for me the Terps just recruited his replacement
Wesley Jefferson is the number 2 rated LB in all of Highschool.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:16 PM   #15
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Who had the worst draft?
  • QB Chris Simms, Texas

Christ Simms didn't have a bad day because he was clearly lucky to be drafted, and I doubt he would have been taken today if not for his hall of fame dad.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:27 PM   #16
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I am from Md and a huge Terps fan too Havoc. I loved watching Henderson play and I think if it werent for the back injury he would have went in the first round.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:29 PM   #17
RawIsDan
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
The didn't run out of time last year, the Cowboys did.

No, it was the vikes.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:39 AM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's gotta be Arizona!

At least the Jets got Robertson, who will be a stud! Arizona got jack.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:42 AM   #19
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I was watching The draft with some friends.. and when tampa came up in the third round i said outloud.. "Watch them pick simms just to keep him from not being picked on day one.." sure enough..

Maybe this is one of those reverse situations.. where Phil Simms agreed to come be a coach if they pick his kid
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:59 AM   #20
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by RawIsDan
No, it was the vikes.

Uh, are you sure you know what you're talking about? Last year the Cowboys were picking at #6 and they ran out of time before they made a trade with Kansas City to swap picks #6 and #8, which is when the Vikings turned in a draft card for Ryan Simms, though it was said the trade happened in time and the Chiefs got Simms, Vikes ended up with McKinnie.

You might want to check your facts next time.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:01 AM   #21
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by RawIsDan
No, it was the vikes.

No, the previous poster was right. It was the Cowboys. The Boys were tied on the phone, looking to trade down two spots with the Chiefs. Dallas wanted Roy Williams, and the Chiefs wanted Ryan Simms. KC had the eight pick, Minnesota had the 7th, and Dallas 6th. Jerry Jones spent too much time working out a deal with the Chiefs, as they knew the Viks wanted Simms as much as they did. What the Viks screwed up was not having their card ready and immediately going up right as the clock expired, and the Boys and Chiefs beat them making the trade. KC got their man as did Dallas, and Minnesota was upset and took Bryant. So it was Dallas, not Minnesota.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:29 AM   #22
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
No, the previous poster was right. It was the Cowboys. The Boys were tied on the phone, looking to trade down two spots with the Chiefs. Dallas wanted Roy Williams, and the Chiefs wanted Ryan Simms. KC had the eight pick, Minnesota had the 7th, and Dallas 6th. Jerry Jones spent too much time working out a deal with the Chiefs, as they knew the Viks wanted Simms as much as they did. What the Viks screwed up was not having their card ready and immediately going up right as the clock expired, and the Boys and Chiefs beat them making the trade. KC got their man as did Dallas, and Minnesota was upset and took Bryant. So it was Dallas, not Minnesota.

Yes, this is absolutely correct. Everyone on ESPN seemed to overlook this yesterday. It still shows the Vikings haven't exactly been completely on the ball the last 2 years.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:45 AM   #23
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

They did turn the card in last year. They did the same thing that happened this year, but because one team had they trade card in(like the vikes did this year) the league allowed the time for the other to come in. The vikes this year had the trade card turned in, baltimore didn't. Baltimore ended up making the vikes look like morons. I wonder if the league will punish them for that, because imagine if with the 4th pick Arizona ended up passing because the other squad didn't turn in their half of the trade...it seems dirty to me.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:20 AM   #24
Thomkal
Head Coach

my beloved Cards had the worst draft going...until Buffalo picked RB McGahee with their only first round pick. They have to pay first round money (if his agent has anything to do with it) to a player who more than likely will sit out the majority of the year if not the whole year...and they already have two very good RB's on the roster in Henry and Gary. And he may never be the same player pre-injury, and who knows he may never be able to play at all. And isn't this the second serious knee injury for him? There's no way I pick this kid in the first round, and no way I pick him at all if I'm Buffalo.

And the news out of Arizona is that they had no intention of picking either Suggs or Leftwich at #6. They would have made the pick at #6 if one of three guys dropped to them there, and neither Suggs or Leftwich was one of those three. I have to think Suggs problem in recent days (see the other thread about him) dissuaded the Cards. McGinnis has become notorious for picking players with the "best character". Both his first round picks supposedly have that factor, and probably played a part in passing on Suggs.

And to add to the fun, they drafted yet another WR in the second round, Boldin from Florida State, who some see as nothing better than a 4th WR in the NFL. Great. At least the Cards will have a roster full of character.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:50 AM   #25
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
worst draft? my fins
Old 04-27-2003, 11:17 AM   #26
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
E.J. is a STUD!! i've enjoyed watching him play these last few years. i think the Vikings got a steal with him. I can't believe he fell to the second round of the draft. That guy was in on every tackle we made the last 2 years it seems.

But lucky for me the Terps just recruited his replacement
Wesley Jefferson is the number 2 rated LB in all of Highschool.

No kidding, that was a great pick by the Vikings, he is going to be one hell of a pro.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:06 PM   #27
sabotai
General Manager

Baltimore didn't turn in a card in because, according to Baltimore, a trade was never made.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:08 PM   #28
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal
until Buffalo picked RB McGahee with their only first round pick. They have to pay first round money (if his agent has anything to do with it) to a player who more than likely will sit out the majority of the year if not the whole year...and they already have two very good RB's on the roster in Henry and Gary. And he may never be the same player pre-injury, and who knows he may never be able to play at all. And isn't this the second serious knee injury for him? There's no way I pick this kid in the first round, and no way I pick him at all if I'm Buffalo.

I agree whole heartedly. Buffalo is freaking nuts, however I do not know Henry's and Gary's contract situation. Maybe Henry is on a small bonus and they can deal him? For a team with just a couple of holes, this was a stupid pick. McGahee would have to turn into Barry Sanders to justify this pick. They needed to draft to their needs. Donahoe is normally such a solid drafter, this pick may hang over him for a while.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #29
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

On the Bills, Gary signed a two-year deal, Morris is signed for a year, and Herny is signed up through 2005. Also, remeber, the Bills gambled on Thruman Thomas, an injured rb everyone past up on. I think the Bills rebounded nicely, grabbing Kelsey, a first-round player in the second.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #30
Havok
College Starter

What do you guys think of the Skins second round pick Taylor Jacobs???? He caught 64 catches for 1,000 yards and 8 TD's in only 9 1/2 games.

I saw him play a few times. he single handedly killed my Terps 2 years ago in the Orange bowl.

You guys think he has a shot to be a big time NFL reciever??
Old 04-27-2003, 01:36 PM   #31
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

You know, Cincy did really well if injuries dont affect their 3rd and 4th round picks. All 4 of their first 4 picks were projected in the first round. Injury concerns about Washington and the drive by incident involving Weathersby caused them to drop, otherwise they would have had their names called in the first round. Could Cincy have finnaly gotten it right?
Old 04-27-2003, 09:40 PM   #32
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
What do you guys think of the Skins second round pick Taylor Jacobs????

Much like Smoot, they got a first round player in the middle of the second round. If they keep drafting well like that, it may offset the continued overpayment in FA every year.

Smoot dropped because he is a jackass. I have no idea why Jacobs would have dropped.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:05 AM   #33
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
worst draft? my fins

I agree. But remember that our 1st round pick was last year's acquisition of Ricky baby.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:46 AM   #34
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Much like Smoot, they got a first round player in the middle of the second round. If they keep drafting well like that, it may offset the continued overpayment in FA every year.

Smoot dropped because he is a jackass. I have no idea why Jacobs would have dropped.

Jacobs dropped because no one considers him a #1 receiver and there's not much call for a #2 receiver throughout the league right now. Even the Redskins didn't really need a #2, but with their pass offense he'll get a lot of action in the #3 spot.

I think it was a good move for the Redskins. It gives them much needed depth at wide receiver (especially in Spurrier's offense) and gives them some freedom in dealing with Rod Gardner in the future.

For only having 3 picks in the draft, the Redskins did a good job IMO and got 2 very solid players with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. I don't know anything about the QB from Indiana they picked up in the 7th round except for the interview with Spurrier where he said the guy had worked out for them during a camp last week and Spurrier had been impressed with him.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:36 AM   #35
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This really was the one time Spurrier picked up a Florida guy and got it right. They go from having a horrible set of recievers trying to play a pass-happy offense to a good core of recievers. They should show much improvement this year (but then again don't we say that every year?).
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote