Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2003, 06:59 PM   #51
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Nah, Simms will be around in the 2nd round for the Bears, if they want him. They still will have access to a glut of high quality DT's, at #13, such as Sullivan, Joseph, and Peterson. They can also stay DL with DE's such as Kelsay, McDougle, and Haynes. At #23, they can look at one of the above players that is still on the board, jump ship on the A-Train and get Johnson at RB, G Steinbach if he's still on the board would be stellar OL. They could also take a flyer on somebody like WR Washington, or CB Woolfolk.

They've gotten themselves options. They dropped out of a huge bonus $$ draft slot, and still are in position to take high quality players. Just because a DT gets taken at 4, doesn't mean he'll be better than the one taken at 13.

I don't think there's any way you can fault this trade on the Bear's side, unless as Arles alludes to, you see the name Simms attached to a Bears jersey in the first round.

damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 07:34 PM   #52
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The Simms comment was based on a rumor that I heard that both the Bears and Steelers like Simms. But, if I were Chicago, I would go with Sullivan at 13 and one of the CBs (pref Woolfolk) at 23. I doubt Steinbach would be there, but he would be a good pick as well if he is. I wouldn't go RB in round one. Ontario Smith (IMO) is the best back in the draft and he is a second round-type player. You could get a solid back with the No. 4 pick in the third.

The Bears should go DT and CB in round 1, QB in round 2 (Simms, Regone or even Grossman if he slips) and either OL or RB in round three. If they do that, this move may work. But, I still don't like it. When you have a chance at a top 5 player (esp in a fairly weak draft in the 1st like this one), you need to take it.

Arlie
Old 04-25-2003, 09:10 PM   #53
AgPete
College Prospect

I agree with some of you that say this was a move to cut off the Cowboys. I guess I was keeping the slim hope alive that Chicago would go with Leftwich which would drop someone to Dallas since I doubt they intended on drafting another rookie quarterback. The closer we get to draft day, the more sold I was on the Cowboys drafting a defensive tackle. Be a shame if the Jets pick Robertson to keep him away from Parcells. I know all the talk is about Newman but there's a lot of silent talk about Parcells having interest in a lineman on both sides.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:48 PM   #54
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Just to let everyone know, the Detroit media is picking up the story about the possible trade with the Pats and running with it; a couple outlets are even making it sound like it is more likely than not to happen now. But I will still stick with my source about Rogers being the guy for the Lions.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:55 PM   #55
AgPete
College Prospect

What an unpredictable draft! I'm going to enjoy watching this one. The top pick teams all want to trade down and other than Carson Palmer, we really have no idea who goes first.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:59 PM   #56
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

An update on the Lions possible trade:

Link

Article says basically that IF the Lions trade then it will be when they are on the clock(roughly 12:10 EST Saturday). I can't imagine a 3rd round draft pick would hold up this trade if both teams wanted it.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:04 AM   #57
mckerney
Coordinator

What? Lions pass on Rogers and another reciever with great tools and speed but also off field baggage drops to the Vikings?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote