Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
st.cronin
General Manager

Looking for a new email

I've been using gmail but I'm not too pleased with the direction they've moved in. What I'm looking for is:

- Reliability (gmail is sometimes inaccesible for long periods of time)

- The ability to filter mail IN, as opposed to out. In other words, I have a list of email addressed. Anything not coming from those addresses gets zapped.

Any ideas?

knives out

st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
digamma
Torchbearer

Wherever you end up, you should make sure they have [email protected] available as an addy.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Wherever you end up, you should make sure they have [email protected] available as an addy.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
WVUFAN
College Starter

Sent you a PM, ST. Cronin.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

bumping this in case anybody else has an idea

knives out
Old 03-22-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

I still think gmail is by far the best e-mail out there. I have not had the down time problems and you can filter e-mail coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I still think gmail is by far the best e-mail out there. I have not had the down time problems and you can filter e-mail coming in.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the first post. No downtime here, or hardly ever, and I do filter quite a bit...

Good luck with the search anyway.

FM
Old 03-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the first post. No downtime here, or hardly ever, and I do filter quite a bit...

Good luck with the search anyway.

FM

Occasionally, I will get a message saying the service is unavailable, but that seems to last at most for 2 or 3 minutes. Overall I'm much happier with Gmail than any free service I've used in the past.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't think you can filter the way I want to, though, which is: I give gmail a list of email addresses. ONLY mail coming from those addresses gets through.

If you can do that with gmail, somebody tell me how.

knives out
Old 03-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
If you report mail from the addresses not on your list as spam, it will automatically go into the spam box...but that is the only way I know of to accomplish what you want.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
If you report mail from the addresses not on your list as spam, it will automatically go into the spam box...but that is the only way I know of to accomplish what you want.

I know you can do that, but that's not at all what I'm talking about. You're describing a 'spam list,' which pretty much every email service has - I want a list, and anything not on the list treated as spam.

knives out
Old 03-23-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
st.cronin
General Manager

by the way, I haven't been able to access gmail all day

knives out
Old 03-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I know you can do that, but that's not at all what I'm talking about. You're describing a 'spam list,' which pretty much every email service has - I want a list, and anything not on the list treated as spam.

maybe you could set a filter that automatically archives every email from your list of known email addresses. Then, anything left in the inbox is actually unwanted stuff. Select all, delete...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 03-23-2006 at 02:10 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
by the way, I haven't been able to access gmail all day

that is very odd, I've had absolutely no problems accessing it today, or any other day for that matter...

FM
Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
maybe you could set a filter that automatically archives every email from your list of known emails. Then, anything left in the inbox is actually unwanted stuff. Select all, delete...

FM

That's an interesting idea. When I get back into gmail I'll look into that. Still not quite what I want. Is there any reason why an email service COULDN'T provide the filter I'm describing? It's a suggestion I've made many times to different folks, and everybody's more or less laughed, without telling if or why it's impossible.

knives out
Old 03-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

another way I'd see to make this is to use the star system. Again, set a filter to "star" every email coming from a known email addy and then select unstarred, delete. That way, everything would stay in the inbox.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 03-23-2006 at 02:15 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
another way I'd see to make this is to use the star system. Again, set a filter to "star" every email coming from a known email addy and then select unstarred, delete. That way, everything would stay in the inbox.

FM

That's exactly what I do now. It's not particularly inconvenient, but it's not at all satisfactory to me.

knives out
Old 03-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

I don't know what the deal is with you for gmail... I have NEVER had a downtime of more than 5 minutes and I've been a member since it first started... and I am logged in and at the computer all day..

As for the filtering you want, that exact feature is definately possible in Outlook, etc.. but I've never heard of it in webmail.. I think your best bet in the meantime would be what others have suggested, filter those e-mail addresses to a seperate group and that actually becomes the e-mail you want whereas your inbox is for all of the other junk... not quite as clean as what you want, but I don't think you're going to get what you want from any webmail service.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I don't know what the deal is with you for gmail... I have NEVER had a downtime of more than 5 minutes and I've been a member since it first started... and I am logged in and at the computer all day..

No idea. Could it be a regional thing?

knives out
Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #20
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I don't know much about this, but could this be a DNS thing? As if you have a trouble finding your way to gmail... Just throwing an idea out there...

FM
Old 03-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #21
Vince
Pro Starter

I've also had no complaints about gMail -- I haven't seen the downtime that you have, and I've only seen 2 spam messages get through to my inbox ever.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I don't know much about this, but could this be a DNS thing? As if you have a trouble finding your way to gmail... Just throwing an idea out there...

FM

I don't know - afaic remember, it used to happen when I was in Madison .. then it stopped, and recently started up again here in Santa Fe. It happens at home, at work, and at school, so I don't think it's a problem on my end.

Most of the time, I can just access it 10 minutes later, but occasionally (like today) it's out for a long period of time.

knives out
Old 03-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #23
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
That's an interesting idea. When I get back into gmail I'll look into that. Still not quite what I want. Is there any reason why an email service COULDN'T provide the filter I'm describing? It's a suggestion I've made many times to different folks, and everybody's more or less laughed, without telling if or why it's impossible.

The reason that you won't see free email implement that filter is that they maintain lists of approved vendors whose emails are allowed through the spam filters.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #24
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I don't know - afaic remember, it used to happen when I was in Madison .. then it stopped, and recently started up again here in Santa Fe. It happens at home, at work, and at school, so I don't think it's a problem on my end.

Most of the time, I can just access it 10 minutes later, but occasionally (like today) it's out for a long period of time.

FWIW, I think I ended up checking my account today more than I ever have in one day, and had no problems logging on.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:56 AM   #25
wade moore
lolzcat

When you say you can't get to it... do you get a page cannot be found or do you get their little "sorry our server is down, we're cleaning it as quickly as possible" or whatever message?

Quote:
Old 03-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #26
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
When you say you can't get to it... do you get a page cannot be found or do you get their little "sorry our server is down, we're cleaning it as quickly as possible" or whatever message?

The message I usually get says something like "Sorry, GMail is not available right now. Try back in a few minutes."

Also on my google home page there will be a message saying GMail is down (so don't bother checking it).

knives out
Old 03-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #27
John Galt
Pro Starter

I know earthlink has filters like you describe because someone I had to go through the process of getting her to approve me even though I was replying to her message. I don't know, however, if earthlink has email for non-ISP customers.

edit: Now that I think about it, I think Hotmail has this ability. I use hotmail as my junkmail account, but I seem to remember they have a setting in their junkmail settings that only allows email from known users.

Last edited by John Galt : 03-24-2006 at 11:30 AM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote