Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
bbor
Pro Starter

FM 05 Question.

So...i get my youth acadamy to the top ranking........and now for the last 3 reasons i have not received any youth players.

How does the youth system work?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Blade6119
Coordinator

Id imagine its due to you having quite a few youth players already. Either by buying a bunch or by having tons of 18-20 YOs...cut down the number of players on your U-19 squad and new ones will come during the off-season. At least, that worked for me at PSV after not getting and for 3 years with a U-19 team that had TONS of players(i brought in a lot, and wassnt getting any new players...cut 3/4 of them, like a week later got a big group of 15-16 yos)
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Id imagine its due to you having quite a few youth players already. Either by buying a bunch or by having tons of 18-20 YOs...cut down the number of players on your U-19 squad and new ones will come during the off-season. At least, that worked for me at PSV after not getting and for 3 years with a U-19 team that had TONS of players(i brought in a lot, and wassnt getting any new players...cut 3/4 of them, like a week later got a big group of 15-16 yos)

I have no players on my under 19 team

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
bbor
Pro Starter

Hmm....i just received a wack load of guys.....i wonder how the logic works behind the youth teams.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
WVUFAN
College Starter

FM?

I know nothing about soccer, but want to learn. Is this a good game for soccer newbies?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Blade6119
Coordinator

In my mind, FM 06(the current version out) is the best text sim ever made...now, that has been the case with the last 3 version of the game. Its amazing how in depth it is, from media involvement to interaction with players, from tactics to how it immerses you in real world soccer. It can be a little much at first, but many play it here(there is a 20-30 page thread about it on page 1)...and to top it off, no offense to jim, but i think Marc Vaughn and his crew at SI are the best customer service guys ive dealt with. They are active posters here to boot.

Does that give you an idea of what i think of the game?
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
I know nothing about soccer, but want to learn. Is this a good game for soccer newbies?

Best sim text eva!

Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

if you are the kind of soccer newbie that is ready to lose at first, be pissed because he is apparently not doing anything right in the first 6 months of gametime, then be overjoyed when it starts clicking, then yes, it's good for a soccer newbie. It's amazingly deep, gives you as much tactical control (imo) as you want to take while still allowing you to let your assistant help you out.

The player characterization is amazing, you really feel like you are dealing with real players, not only combinations of skill ratings.

Try the demo, while it's not the full thing, it's got everything in the game for six months of playing time, which I think is plenty to get a good feel for how a team works...

FM
Old 03-22-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

I agree with what FrogMan said, and I'd add to expect to move at a much slower pace than many other games in this genre. If you are the type that wants to sim 20 seasons in one sitting and look back at stats then Football Manager isn't really a good fit. There's just too much going on in the game to allow fast simming. For example, it's not unusual to get 100 in-game emails in an active month of game time. While many of those messages may not affect your team directly, it really adds to the immersion factor and sometimes the messages can give you a heads up of what rival teams are planning.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
...I'd add to expect to move at a much slower pace than many other games in this genre. If you are the type that wants to sim 20 seasons in one sitting and look back at stats then Football Manager isn't really a good fit. There's just too much going on in the game to allow fast simming.

Forgot to mention it, but that is very true. Made me change my stance on text sim playing. I used to play a season of FOF in about an hour with one more our for the whole offseason but when I got serious with FM (and now with EHM), I realized that trying to actually get to know my players was half the fun of the whole thing. Same with interaction with other managers, reading what others sometimes have to say about others is also a good part of the fun.

FM
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Hmm....i just received a wack load of guys.....i wonder how the logic works behind the youth teams.
The youth teams have a 'bundle' of players going through them each year - their development and potential depending on various aspects of the team, coaches and scouts you have.

Only those which are thought to be able to cut it at a professional level are brought to your attention as possible signings upon their 'graduation' - as such in those years where you hear nothing it doesn't mean there haven't been any youth players - just that they haven't been considered of a high enough quality to become professionals.

PS> In FM2006 you are also able to promote the 'grey' players in your youth squad into full players by offering them contracts which allows you to regulate the promotion of players a little more (please bear in mind though that these grey players are presumed to be ones who the coach doesn't think will make the 'cut' and so generally aren't of the highest quality).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
(potentially biased opinion ahead)
FM's a fairly deep game - but we do our best to ensure that new players can pick it up as easily as possible by allowing the assistant manager to guide you and in some cases take over aspects of your job (for instance you can ask the assistant manager to handle contract renewals for players in certain squads etc. leaving you to worry mainly about tactics etc.).

The latest version (FM2006) has an in-game tutorial bundled into it and there's also a fairly comprehensive hints and tips guide which I knocked up which covers anything we might not have squeezed into the tutorial or manual (hints and tips guide can be downloaded from sigames.com free of charge).

Next years version should have the hints and tips integrated into the in-game tutorial incidentally .... but don't make that prevent you from purchasing FM2006 now

(end biased commentary )

PS> I'd suggest downloading the demo - as that the most realistic guide to whether the games for you or not.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-22-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
Jon
High School Varsity

What would be a good team to start off with if you're a soccer newb. I bought the game based on everyone's critical acclaim.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #14
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I agree with what FrogMan said, and I'd add to expect to move at a much slower pace than many other games in this genre. If you are the type that wants to sim 20 seasons in one sitting and look back at stats then Football Manager isn't really a good fit. There's just too much going on in the game to allow fast simming. For example, it's not unusual to get 100 in-game emails in an active month of game time. While many of those messages may not affect your team directly, it really adds to the immersion factor and sometimes the messages can give you a heads up of what rival teams are planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman
Forgot to mention it, but that is very true. Made me change my stance on text sim playing. I used to play a season of FOF in about an hour with one more our for the whole offseason but when I got serious with FM (and now with EHM), I realized that trying to actually get to know my players was half the fun of the whole thing. Same with interaction with other managers, reading what others sometimes have to say about others is also a good part of the fun.

i have to echo FM and bee...I was used to playing FOF and getting through a complete season in an hour. now, i'm lucky to get through 3 games (10 days of gametime) in an hour.

as for 100 ingame email/day, that happens at transfer windows especially.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
What would be a good team to start off with if you're a soccer newb. I bought the game based on everyone's critical acclaim.

A lot depends on personal preferences and the league you want to play in - if you're actively playing in England then I'd select Cambridge City if you want a small side (relatively innocuous lower league side with a fairly patient chairman) or West Ham if you want a larger side (top flight side, very good potential via. the youngsters in the team, but not big enough that you'll find yourself sacked after a couple of mistakes).

Hope this helps,

Marc
Old 03-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #16
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon

A lot of people will tell you to go with one of the big teams, but I think you miss out on a lot going that way. I'd suggest starting off with a lower tier club, (for example, I used Barnet for the first several versions I played). I think any of the lower tier teams would be a good experience though. I also highly recommend going with the English Conferences. The promotion/demotion races at the end of the season can really get interesting and adds a lot to the game IMO. Also, get Marc's guide it's got tons of great info and will be a great source when you get confused or stuck. And ask questions here since there are lots of us who know very little about soccer but have learned to enjoy the game.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #17
finketr
College Prospect

otoh, using the one of the bigger clubs (like chelsea) gives you the opportunity to buy whomever you want.

what would be a good lower-level (<= League 2) that has decent finances at the start to take over?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #18
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
what would be a good lower-level (<= League 2) that has decent finances at the start to take over?
Very few lower league teams have 'decent' finances in England, in Scotland Gretna have a surprisingly strong financial position.

You can edit the details of any club with the editor supplied with the game or indeed 'sugar daddy' any club (ie. give them a rich chairman ala certain Russians at London clubs) by editing one of the in-game config files (details are in my hints and tips guide) .... however if you do so please don't boast about your achievements afterwards

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-22-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I completely agree with Blade and Frog's posts. As far as a good team to start with, at least in previous versions, Hull was a terrific suggestion. They were in a somewhat lower league with very good resources for that league and Stuart Elliott is a great player at a lower level. Then again, I haven't picked them in 2 versions, so that might not be as true now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #20
bbor
Pro Starter

I always enjoy the challenge of bringing a low div team to the EPL.I am playing as Solihull right now.I've gotten them up to the EPL but havent finished in the top 7 yet(GRRRRR).

Old 03-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #21
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola.....What would be the hardest team to manage Marc?In the aspect that i am playing?

Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #22
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I completely agree with Blade and Frog's posts. As far as a good team to start with, at least in previous versions, Hull was a terrific suggestion. They were in a somewhat lower league with very good resources for that league and Stuart Elliott is a great player at a lower level. Then again, I haven't picked them in 2 versions, so that might not be as true now.

Good rec - Elliot alone makes Hull a good choice, since you can build your team around him. in FM 05, he took Hull to Europe - the only lower league player to last up at that level.

Bbor, FM is the best text sim on the market - bar none. The pace has been mentioned, and it should be noted- you're not going to have 50 season careers (it would take a couple of years IRL to get there) - I usually get bored in a fairly short 5-7, but that's been a 6 month game IRL.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #23
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola.....What would be the hardest team to manage Marc?In the aspect that i am playing?

Marc could probably answer this better than I can, but I started a career unemployed and the only team I could get a job with was Maidenhead.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #24
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Good rec - Elliot alone makes Hull a good choice, since you can build your team around him. in FM 05, he took Hull to Europe - the only lower league player to last up at that level.

Bbor, FM is the best text sim on the market - bar none. The pace has been mentioned, and it should be noted- you're not going to have 50 season careers (it would take a couple of years IRL to get there) - I usually get bored in a fairly short 5-7, but that's been a 6 month game IRL.

Hrm...i'm am in year 42....and by the timer in the game i have played 24 days

But i also own my own business and can generally put in 4-6 hours of gaming a day

Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #25
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

But i also own my own business and can generally put in 4-6 hours of gaming a day

so let's see, 2042 minus 1970... HOT DAMN! You're now 72 years old!!!

Dear God, you're the Marv Levy of all Football Managers!!!!

FM
Old 03-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #26
finketr
College Prospect

bbor, what level do you normally drop to?

I've been pondering doing that...
Old 03-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #27
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr

at that age, he goes to coach his great-grandchildren's team, at the U8 level and he sees them up from there

FM
Old 03-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #28
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Would be interesting if you could age in the game, and lose effectiveness as you get older.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #29
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

I saw a guy the other day at one of my favorite restaurants working furiously behind a lap-top. I knew he was the owner (or at least part owner) so I figured he was just doing payroll or something. When I went to pay the bill, he got up to run the register. I looked over at his laptop, and saw he was actually playing WOW. I want that job.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #30
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Would be interesting if you could age in the game, and lose effectiveness as you get older.

i just got my professionalism back to 14.

it went from 19-20ish to 3 when i resigned from brazil manager.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #31
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Bottom level...conference north or south.I generally *quick* sim the first year without managing a team.Then i wait to see who is newly promoted into the Conf North/South division and that's who i will take over.It is as close to the "bare cupboard" experience as you are going to get,because generally all the players the team has signed are the ghosted players.

Good luck....I hope you are a Masochist like me...you will enjoy this voyage greatly.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #32
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
at that age, he goes to coach his great-grandchildren's team, at the U8 level and he sees them up from there

FM

My wheelchair is motorized though!

Old 03-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #33
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia

Just like Sir Alex.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot

Thanks, but I can't take the credit for it. I think it was Axxon who recommended them to me when I was first getting into the series. They were very fun to manage in CM03/04 and Stuart Elliott and the crew were a big factor in my getting hooked on this series

Interestingly in that career, I eventually left Hull and took over Manchester United as well. Every one of my serious careers has led to me eventually managing Manchester United.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #35
Blade6119
Coordinator

In 06 i just left PSV for inter, so im finally getting to my goal of chelsea...starting with 2nd division dutch side as an american, im quite happy with my career right now considering im only like 4 years in and have gone from nowhere to two world powers
Demotivation
Old 03-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #36
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Bottom level...conference north or south.I generally *quick* sim the first year without managing a team.Then i wait to see who is newly promoted into the Conf North/South division and that's who i will take over.It is as close to the "bare cupboard" experience as you are going to get,because generally all the players the team has signed are the ghosted players.

Good luck....I hope you are a Masochist like me...you will enjoy this voyage greatly.

are conference north and south the same level? that's always confused me.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #37
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
are conference north and south the same level? that's always confused me.

Yeppers.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:27 AM   #38
daedalus
Pro Rookie

When I started playing, it was the 01/02 version and still went by CM. At the time, I really disliked soccer (as I thought of the sports at the time). I basically went off of Marc's guide and peppered bbor with questions. I really liked the part in the Guide where Marc compartmentalised the important and necessary skills for each positions. Yeah, there are other secondary-type of ratings that becomes more important as you learn the game more but that (compartmentalising) helps when you are so overwhelmed as a new player of the game and staring at 30-some odd ratings for each and every player.

That's just my $0.02.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
(potentially biased opinion ahead)
FM's a fairly deep game - but we do our best to ensure that new players can pick it up as easily as possible by allowing the assistant manager to guide you and in some cases take over aspects of your job (for instance you can ask the assistant manager to handle contract renewals for players in certain squads etc. leaving you to worry mainly about tactics etc.).

The latest version (FM2006) has an in-game tutorial bundled into it and there's also a fairly comprehensive hints and tips guide which I knocked up which covers anything we might not have squeezed into the tutorial or manual (hints and tips guide can be downloaded from sigames.com free of charge).

Next years version should have the hints and tips integrated into the in-game tutorial incidentally .... but don't make that prevent you from purchasing FM2006 now

(end biased commentary )

PS> I'd suggest downloading the demo - as that the most realistic guide to whether the games for you or not.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:00 AM   #39
Ragone
Pro Rookie

cm got me hooked on soccer

back in the day of good old way Overrated peter prospar and Neil Lennon
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote