Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Software Problems

I'm having difficulty with my computer installing solid "older" games like Might and Magic VIII (six years old) and Planescape: Torment (seven-ish years old). Here's the problem:

I insert the install disc. Autorun brings up the menu from the disc. I click Install. The computer gives me the hourglass symbol like it is about to do something. After about 10-15 seconds, it stops, and nothing happens. No error messages, nothing.

Anybody know what's going on here?

I have Windows XP and my machine is 3 and a half years old, so these games were just three or four years old when I purchased my machine. I tried doing a search on Google or through Microsoft, but the issues mentioned were ones where there were error messages trying to install, and I have no such problems.

I tried going into compatibility mode, and that didn't work either. I tried installing from the Windows installer - and that did not good. I tried opening the drive and just clicking on setup by itself and that didn't work. I double checked the disc and it is clean. I've been trying to get Planeshift to load for a while now and tried reading troubleshooting tips and whatnot, but I still haven't found a scenario that resembles mine. I'd love tips and help.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Masked
College Starter

For MM8, look through the forums at www.telp.org - I recall seeing threads about installation problems in XP

You will probably need to install an unofficial patch made by someone named Mok. The patch won't fix the install problem, but you it will fix problems after you get it installed. Again, you can find a link to the patch buried in the forum.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote