Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2003, 12:09 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Question NFL 2k3?

Ok, just checked with Gamestop here in town and the rumors I heard are true, $9.99 brand spankin new (ps2, xbox, and I think gcube).

I played the heck out of Madden 2003 for most of the year, but is NFL 2k3 worth $10? Is is fun to play out of the box?

Madden is still going for $40, so I guess Sega wants to get 2k3 out there for those looking ahead to Madden and Sega's 2k4 versions. -or- is it that bad? Reviews seem favorable for Sega's game.

Thanks,

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-22-2003 at 12:10 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

I rented 2k3, and I didn't like it at all. However, many folks do like it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
AgPete
College Prospect

Never played it. I'm a Madden faithful. But from what I hear the main difference is 2K3 is more arcade style. It's easier to control running backs, scrambling quarterbacks, etc.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the responses, anyone own it and play it regularly?

Todd
Old 04-22-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
samifan24
Pro Starter

My friend has a PS2 and we played it a lot. There's really no running game to speak of. The whole thing is an aerial assault. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it. It's a fun game, but definately not realistic at all.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
henry296
College Starter

I played it on the XBox during football season and enjoyed it. You need to be patient in your play calling and running and it takes some time.

Todd
Old 04-22-2003, 12:48 PM   #7
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by samifan24
My friend has a PS2 and we played it a lot. There's really no running game to speak of. The whole thing is an aerial assault. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it. It's a fun game, but definately not realistic at all.

Really? I heard that running was a heck of a lot easier with NFL 2K3. Your aerial assault comment though confirms what I've heard though. It's more arcade style with unrealistic stats. NFL2K3 seems to appeal to more casual football game players than the hardcore that want as much realism as possible.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:54 PM   #8
primelord
Pro Rookie

I'll just echo what everyone else has said. After playing Madden a lot I just wasn't impressed with 2k3.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Great, thanks... even for $10, I think I'll stay away from it if you can't even run in the game. Madden has done fine for me in that dept.

Sliders don't even help the running game?

Todd
Old 04-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #10
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I started the season off with both. Initially I played the heck out of NFL2k3. It was fast paced and the passing was a lot of fun. But games came down to 50 passes, 2 or 3 runs. The arcade slant of it wore off. Madden has extreme replay value. I love the franchise mode and I'm still playing it, 8 months after I bought it.

I think that says a lot right there.

In its defense, NFL2k3's franchise mode has some unique features (Trade block, for example) but the one dimentional offenses killed it for me in the long run.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:59 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Funny, how everyone was bashing Madden on some 'other' boards when it came out, saying NFL 2k3 was THE football game of the year, etc.... I told many people how much fun Madden was and most laughed.... I think I'll skip NFL2k3, even at $10.

Who knows what versions 2004 will bring? Can Sega bridge the gap between themselves and EA?

Todd
Old 04-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #12
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

Interesting. I played Madden and 2K3 and found 2K3 to be the superior product in every aspect. The player animations seemed much more fluid, the commentary was light years ahead of Madden, and the franchise mode was different and ultimately much more enjoyable. I also thought the visual presentation of the interface was much more succinct and easier to manuever, and made really good (but not over the top) use of the ESPN license. The game as a whole just seemed to be much more engaging and personable than Madden.

I think Sega *has* bridged the gap in terms of product quality, though as I understand Sega's sales still pale (considerably) to EAs. I thought Sega's pro football, pro basketball and college basketball games were just sooooooo much better than EAs last year (esp. the college hoops game). Can't speak to hockey, baseball or soccer though as I didn't play 'em. And I can say that EA's college football game is much better than Segas.

But to answer your question, I would gladly dole out 10 bucks for NFL2k3.
Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:27 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think it really comes down to a matter of taste. Maybe I'm Madden-brainwashed after years of playing it, but to me, I would be hard-pressed to find even one thing that I liked better in 2K3 gameplay-wise. Some of the ESPN presentation stuff was cool, but when I was actually playing it, I just was not enjoying it. I didn't like the little charge-up arrow, I didn't like the playbooks, I thought the players were exagerrated in size, etc. Madden just seems more polished/realistic. Sure the commentary could be improved quite a bit, but after a while, you just tune it out.

Like I said, maybe I've been brainwashed, but 2K3 is not tempting even for $10. I've had similar reactions to Turok: Evolution, Quake (I think it was Quake). Some games just rub you the wrong way right from the start.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:17 PM   #14
Anthony
Banned

i play NFL2K3 on XBox Live only. it's well worth it for that price if you want to play it online. there is no semblence of a running game. Madden blows it out of the sky. but to play humnas instead of the AI i can't complain much. with no online support you're better off sticking w/ Madden.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:05 PM   #15
mrskippy
Banned

$10 for NFL2K3 ... sure ... why not?
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:37 PM   #16
Bishop
Mascot

for 10 bucks its a steal if you like football... its by no means a bad game... everyone just has a preference... I've always felt like I had more control over actual gameplay in 2k3 or any of the sega games compared to the Madden series... the players always seemed much more stiff.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:04 AM   #17
Philliesfan980
Banned

I thought NFL2k3 was lightyears ahead of Madden 2003. Madden's "Fly pattern" throw it up style was getting annoying so I had to pick up nfl2k3. Passing game is incredible. Running game is tough, but I think its tough in madden as well (Or maybe I just suck). The franchise mode is great as well, nice features. Madden's a good game, but 2k3 is the way to go for me. At $10, its a steal (Xbox live is addicting)
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:51 AM   #18
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Here's my problem with NFL2K3. Safeties (or other DBs) running towards the football (instead of with the receiver) in an attempt to knock down a pass. If they miss it...the receiver is behind them and going the other direction for the sure touchdown. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happened enough that I traded my NFL2K3 in for a copy of Madden.

It looks really nice, though. For ten bucks, I might pick it up again.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:20 AM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Interesting... I guess I should have waited to post until I read some more comments on the game.

I agree that for basketball and hockey, Sega is ahead of EA.

Also, I have a ps2, so no LIVE capabilities here... plus I'm a solo sports type person.

I've changed my mind, can I do that in America? I think I'll run down to Gamestop at lunch and pick it up.

Thanks gentlemen,

Todd
Old 04-23-2003, 10:47 AM   #20
bamcgee
High School JV

Whether you like Madden better or not (I don't), for $10 Sega NFL 2k3 is a great buy.
bamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:43 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Picked it up today at Gamestop.

One more question, don't you have to sim the computer team games at 15min or the stats won't come out right? Maybe I thinking about another game, but I remember something about the sim stats.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 04-25-2003, 03:56 PM   #22
Aylmar
High School Varsity

IIRC, you have to sim the computer games at 5 min quarters or you'll get out of this world numbers and scores..
Old 04-25-2003, 03:59 PM   #23
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
Picked it up today at Gamestop.

One more question, don't you have to sim the computer team games at 15min or the stats won't come out right? Maybe I thinking about another game, but I remember something about the sim stats.

Thanks,

Todd

Actually, I think it is shorter. Like 8 or something. That is one of the things that turned me off on 2k3. That and if I remember correctly it would not remember any type of sorting. That was a major pain.

The franchise mode looked nice and if they ever improved the gameplay and little interface problems, it would be a solid game.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 04:27 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
Actually, I think it is shorter. Like 8 or something. That is one of the things that turned me off on 2k3. That and if I remember correctly it would not remember any type of sorting. That was a major pain.

The franchise mode looked nice and if they ever improved the gameplay and little interface problems, it would be a solid game.

Thanks, I'll do a check around the ole OS site and see what I come up with.

Todd