Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2003, 01:22 PM   #1
SaintAnselm
n00b

To All Soccer Fans!!!

2:30 ESPN2..Real Madrid at Manchester United in the second leg of the Champions Leage quarter-final. Man U lost 3-1 in Madrid but the away goal and the absence of Raul today gives them a shot..2-0 for a win and 3-1 for a little extra time.

On a side note..My girlfriend, who I introduced to soccer, is studying in Sevilla, Spain and will be seeing Real Madrid play this Sunday when they travel to Sevilla for a league match. When I went to visit her I did get to Athletico Madrid play at home but now she's topped that. How jealous am I?

One more thing..I reads that Barcelona and Juventus will be playing this summer at Foxboro and I was wondering if anyone knows if this would be worth going to. I'm sure both teams will be missing their stars but then again, who knows. Has anyoe ever been to one of these type of exhibition games here in the states?

Time for some soccer..ESPN2!!!!!

SaintAnselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Re: To All Soccer Fans!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SaintAnselm
2:30 ESPN2..Real Madrid at Manchester United in the second leg of the Champions Leage quarter-final. Man U lost 3-1 in Madrid but the away goal and the absence of Raul today gives them a shot..2-0 for a win and 3-1 for a little extra time.

On a side note..My girlfriend, who I introduced to soccer, is studying in Sevilla, Spain and will be seeing Real Madrid play this Sunday when they travel to Sevilla for a league match. When I went to visit her I did get to Athletico Madrid play at home but now she's topped that. How jealous am I?

One more thing..I reads that Barcelona and Juventus will be playing this summer at Foxboro and I was wondering if anyone knows if this would be worth going to. I'm sure both teams will be missing their stars but then again, who knows. Has anyoe ever been to one of these type of exhibition games here in the states?

Time for some soccer..ESPN2!!!!!

Man U will be playing some games in the US this summer too.l
Old 04-23-2003, 02:03 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Madrid up 1-nil, and Man U about to go bye-bye.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

Raul isn't playing is he? I heard he had an emergency appendectomy (s?) or some such?

Either way, Man U. is done for, guess this'll let them focus on the EPL title, should be an interesting finish to the season!
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Anyone also read the news the Beckham is thinking of a move to either Real Madrid, or even to a team in the MLS! He reasoning for the MLS is that he thinks he could help promote soccer in the US by giving US soccer a Tiger or Jordan-like figure. Since he's still young, that might work better than back in the 70s when the NASL brought in Pele in the twilight of his carrer. Intersting rumour.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:24 PM   #6
moriarty
College Starter

I think Beckham was saying that to the reporter just to get some press in the USA.

I'm still not sure why Real Madrid would really want him. He's a very good player (albeit overrated IMO), but honestly, would he even start for Real Madrid?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #7
Calis
College Starter

As for Beckham starting at Real, he definitely would for the amount of money they'd be spending on bringing him over. I also believe just on raw talent he's good enough to start there easily, wouldn't be the best MF they have for sure, but he'd start.

As for him coming to the U.S., can't believe that for a second. That definitely sounds like a hype ploy, I can't see him playing for the amount of money an MLS club could offer, and I think he'd be fighting an unwinnable battle. In another 5 years maybe he'll head this way.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
moriarty
College Starter

By the way 1:1 Van Nielsteroy tied it up. Now if Man U can just score 3 unanswered in the second half (not!).
Old 04-23-2003, 02:37 PM   #9
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Van Nistelrooy is a goal scoring machine! 11 in 9 Champions League games. Incredible!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Well, 1-1 at the half. Not too bad. Since they are at Old Trafford, Man U still has a bit of a chance.

Too bad if Real wins that they can't play Inter in the semis. I was hoping to see if Ronaldo would show his face at San Siro, or develop another "injury" as he has for every game he's supposed to have played in Italy for Real so far!
Old 04-23-2003, 02:44 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Dola,

But if Milan wins tonight, having an Inter-Milan semi-final battle should be interesting! Both teams get two home games!
Old 04-23-2003, 02:55 PM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

2-1 against now ... they'll be very fortunate if they can overturn that deficit .... however if any team can it'll be Man Utd.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

2-2 now .... Man Utd need another 3 goals before the end to go through ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:19 PM   #14
GrantDawg

3-3 and Beckham bends one! Wow! He is so "overrated."

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-23-2003 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:22 PM   #15
moriarty
College Starter

I didn't say he wasn't good, just overrated (if he sooo good, why wasn't he good enough to start the match? Ans. because he got schooled in the last match against them).
Old 04-23-2003, 03:27 PM   #16
moriarty
College Starter

Dola,

He's definitely NOT overrated in his free kick ability though.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #17
GrantDawg

He just scored again. 4-3. He didn't start because he did something to tick Fergie off.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:32 PM   #18
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
He just scored again. 4-3. He didn't start because he did something to tick Fergie off.

Yeah, Fergie was ticked off by his performance against Real.

Just my luck though I call the guy overrated and he scores twice though. Sounded like (listening not watching) that he just tapped it in for Ruud.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:38 PM   #19
andy m
High School Varsity

this has been one of the best games i have ever seen. ronaldo's 3rd and beckham's free kick were ridiculous goals.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:42 PM   #20
Calis
College Starter

sigh, the sad thing is I seriously considered not coming into work today so I could watch it. Of course I didn't.

I wish I would have now, sounds like it was a great game, wish I could've seen it. I should've fricking taped it, I completely forgot to do that.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:44 PM   #21
SaintAnselm
n00b

I don't mean to discount Ronaldo's performance at all but Barthez should have had his 1rst and 3rd goal. No way should he let one in at his near post from 20 yards out from that angle. The 2nd one was a brilliant strike but Barthez was caught off his line a bit and he wasn't set when Ronaldo ripped the shot. Being in the states I don't get to see a lot of European soccer but it seems like they could find a better keeper.

Last edited by SaintAnselm : 04-23-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:54 PM   #22
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I think there's just about as much chance of me going to England to play in the Premier League as there is David Beckham coming to play here in the states.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:58 PM   #23
Karim
College Starter

The rags in England will be all over Sir Alex on this one...

BTW, what's the deal with the booing of McManaman (sp?)... Is it simply because he's English and playing for Real? (I certainly hope it's more than that!)
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #24
SaintAnselm
n00b

I'm not so sure about that. I don't expect him here right now as he is still too young. I'm not sure his National Team would want him playing againt the competition he would here. After Germany 2006 though I think it might be a possibility. MLS does need to be careful though and not take in too many older international players. The league is developing nicely and we have a fair amount of solid domestic players.

They booed McManaman because he played for Liverpool for so long and he made some comments about never wanting to play for Man U.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:16 PM   #25
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Two great attacking sides and in the end it came down to goalkeeping. Casillas made four excellent saves and half a dozen competent ones. Barthez made one competent one. His positioning for the first and third Real Madrid goals was very poor. His judgement is woeful - must include that in the SaaP database

Utd need to entice Brad Friedel away from Blackburn before the start of the next season

Last edited by Mac Howard : 04-23-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:39 PM   #26
Easy Mac

I was watching the game with my girl while she was studying. She doesn't know shit about soccer. I see the foul before Beckham's free kick. I tell her, "watch." She doesn't really care, but does so to appease me. So he kicks the ball, and she yells out, "shit, how the hell did he do that. I want to learn to do that." Then she says he's hot Well, at least she watched soccer.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:59 PM   #27
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Just to put some numbers about the goalkeeping comparison I replayed the tape I made. Here are some relevanr facts:

Shots ON TARGET (ie shots that needed saving)

Man Utd 18
including 4 goals, 6 excellent saves and 8 competent saves by Casillas

Real Madrid 4
including 3 goals and 1 competent save by Barthez.

Both teams hit the wood work once.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #28
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
By the way 1:1 Van Nielsteroy tied it up. Now if Man U can just score 3 unanswered in the second half (not!).

Well that was pretty Ruud.

GROAN!

Old 04-23-2003, 11:40 PM   #29
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cartman
Anyone also read the news the Beckham is thinking of a move to either Real Madrid, or even to a team in the MLS! He reasoning for the MLS is that he thinks he could help promote soccer in the US by giving US soccer a Tiger or Jordan-like figure. Since he's still young, that might work better than back in the 70s when the NASL brought in Pele in the twilight of his carrer. Intersting rumour.

I know it sucks that they come over when they're old but I remember seeing the Cosmo's against my Rowdies and yes, I'm pretty happy to say that I got to see the great Pele live.

As for whether he's just hyping that's probably true but if Victoria wants to take a real shot at a US career or just leave the UK after that kidnapping fiasco it isn't as farfetched as it sounds. I don't think it will happen either but hey, stranger things have happened.

Oh, and Easy your gf's reaction is why I think he could be the next Tiger or Jordan. If the women start watching because he's "hot" it still sells tickets and puts butts in the seats even though there will be many pissed off men in attendance.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:06 AM   #30
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
I'm still not sure why Real Madrid would really want him. He's a very good player (albeit overrated IMO), but honestly, would he even start for Real Madrid?

Beckham sells. Jorge Valdano believes in selling. Beckham is also supposedly real big in Asia [I don't know since I never cared about soccer when I was there]. That's a market that Jorge Valdano would like to get into, if I understand correctly.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:59 AM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

And, can you imagine, a midfield with Zidane, Beckham, and Figo??? That would be insane, with them feeding Ronaldo (when healthy) and Raul?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:26 AM   #32
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by cartman
And, can you imagine, a midfield with Zidane, Beckham, and Figo??? That would be insane, with them feeding Ronaldo (when healthy) and Raul?

Yes, but without a good defensive midfielder, that would be stupid, plus what the Real really needs is defenders (central and right)
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:40 AM   #33
CK#12
n00b

The Man Utd fans were booing McManaman because he used to play for Liverpool, there biggest & most hated rivals.
CK#12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:36 AM   #34
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SaintAnselm
I don't mean to discount Ronaldo's performance at all but Barthez should have had his 1rst and 3rd goal. No way should he let one in at his near post from 20 yards out from that angle. The 2nd one was a brilliant strike but Barthez was caught off his line a bit and he wasn't set when Ronaldo ripped the shot. Being in the states I don't get to see a lot of European soccer but it seems like they could find a better keeper.

Maybe, but it's Ronaldo we're talking about here. He has consistently, for 8 years, been catching keepers unawares with his incredible ability to shoot equally well with both feet, from any angle. His shots almost always come at the worst possible time and don't give goalies any chance of position themselves properly - just ask Oliver Kahn, perhaps the best keeper in the world the past three years. He was made to look pretty silly in last year's World Cup final.

On the other hand, Barthez has always been overrated...
Old 04-24-2003, 09:18 AM   #35
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 3ric
On the other hand, Barthez has always been overrated...

Yep, but that's the best we have for now. All the other goalies we tried to play for the French National team (Letizi, Coupet, Ramé) all had really poor performances when playing. Letizi's career as an international player is even over...

Anyway, Barthez is still member of the 98 World Cup Champions team .
Old 04-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #36
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alf
Yep, but that's the best we have for now. All the other goalies we tried to play for the French National team (Letizi, Coupet, Ramé) all had really poor performances when playing.

Hmm... if this was CM4 I would trade you Jerzy Dudek for Giggs.

(then again if this was CM4 Giggs would never score).
Old 04-24-2003, 05:10 PM   #37
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Re: Re: To All Soccer Fans!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
Man U will be playing some games in the US this summer too.l

Yep, I got my tickets for Manchester Utd vs. Barcelona in the new stadium in Phily. I'm excited. Got my Nistelrooy jersey ready and everything.

It'll be interesting to see if Becks is still with them. I would think he would be....maybe to gauge how big he could become over here? Still, I can't see United losing their top drawer.

Before the Beckham rumors started, there were some that Giggs' days were numbered at Old Trafford. That would be a mistake, Giggs is a very soild mf...I don't think he's expendable at all.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:15 PM   #38
moriarty
College Starter

Does anyone know if the real ManU stars such as Beckham and Giggs actually play in these international tours?

I was under the impression that they didn't play in order to avoid injury risk (not sure where I got that impression). I would just hate to shell out the money to watch Man U's B-team. Still I guess that would be better than any MLS team.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:21 PM   #39
Calis
College Starter

I would imagine they'll play a bit at least, probably half-assed. I would think the backlash would be pretty big if they didn't play at all, no idea though.

It's also good help on keeping them fit in the off season, no idea. I think Man U is playing Celtic in Seattle, man I'd like to make a road trip for that one.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:23 PM   #40
ColtCrazy
College Starter

A few year's ago New York City hosted a Gotham Cup. It had Ajax from the Netherlands, Aston Villa of the Premier League, Fiorentina from Serie A, and Olympiakos from Greece. Their top players were there, including one of the best strikers in the world at the time, Gabriel Batistuta from Fiorentina. It was a great little tournament.

While they are here, they are playing several well known teams (Barcelona, Juventis, Real) So I would think they'd bring their top players.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:09 AM   #41
MIJB#19
Coordinator

1. It's Van Nistelrooij (with a beatiful "Dutch y" at the end, like the y in MIJB )

2. Beckham is both god and the devil in England (depending on his last game, plus his wife's last shopping spree), but outside of England I think in Europe it's a Ronaldo and Zidane hype.
Still, I guess Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Raul and Roberto Carlos would love to see Beckham joining them to create arguably the strongest team in soccer history.
And then, with Vieri, Van Nistelrooij, Nedved and Totti joining, the strongest, most unbalanced team could be fielded... Although, this would return the Pelé times, when offense was all there was and 4-3 was a normal score for a game between two of the G12 teams.

3. During the summer breaks, most of European teams loaded with star players play a bit like NFL teams do in the preseason. Start with the best, replace them all at halftime.
A win or loss wouldn't be interesting at all, wether they play the local kids or Real Madrid with their best players.

4. Talking of goalkeepers in national teams, the Dutch national team has a big problem with 4 of the 5 active 'capped' goalkeepers unavailable at the moment. In the Netherlands, this season has been a season of goalkeeper changes (Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV all used 4 goalkeepers already this season.)

5. I really hoped for Ajax vs. Real Madrid as the Champions' League final...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:18 AM   #42
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Real won't be the best team in history until they find some defence. Anyway, who exactly does Beckham replace in their side?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #43
moriarty
College Starter

That's exactly my question. I see Beckham coming off the bench for them (McManaman will need to find a new job). They have enough offense, they need someone who can get back and make the tough, physical challanges.

Then again, they might want Beckham more for marketing reasons (and of course free kicks). Apparently he's incredibly popular in Asia and other parts of the world, so he'll sell alot of Real shirts.