Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #51
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
It does not happen all the time, maybe one game being cancelled every three years.
LaTech backed out of a game this coming year with PSU, so they had to schedule Youngstown St.

Now that I think about it, Penn St. always has a home and home: Miami in 2000-01, VA 01-02, then Nebraska 02-03, BC 03-04, now ND 06-07, Syracuse 08-09, Bama 10-11.

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #52
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
LaTech backed out of a game this coming year with PSU, so they had to schedule Youngstown St.

Now that I think about it, Penn St. always has a home and home: Miami in 2000-01, VA 01-02, then Nebraska 02-03, BC 03-04, now ND 06-07, Syracuse 08-09, Bama 10-11.

Gee, PSU only dodged us (SU) for what, 20 years? Big shocker that JoePa will be gone by the time we finally play each other again.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #53
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Gee, PSU only dodged us (SU) for what, 20 years? Big shocker that JoePa will be gone by the time we finally play each other again.
Penn State has always feared the mighty Orangemen, and chose to schedule patsies like Miami, Nebraska, and Notre Dame instead.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #54
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Penn State has always feared the mighty Orangemen, and chose to schedule patsies like Miami, Nebraska, and Notre Dame instead.

You do realize that they had a long running rivalry until SU actually started winning and then for some odd reason, PSU wouldn't play us anymore. Miami, Nebraska and ND are all recent (last 5 years tops) and future opponents. Nice try tho.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #55
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Personally, I think it's the orange. Did you guys know that Syracuse is the only school in the country that has orange as its official color???
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #56
Huckleberry
College Starter

There are only so many non-conference games per year. You can't schedule everyone. Or else I get to complain about how Michigan has been dodging Texas for 113 years.

Sucks that the Buckeyes backed out of the WSU game. Not cool. Not quite as bad as when we backed out of a trip to Hawaii. Hilarity ensued. June Jones said we were scared of playing his team. Then our AD claimed it was because of high jet fuel costs. Ha. As if we couldn't afford the flight. Texas. Good one.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #57
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Personally, I think it's the orange. Did you guys know that Syracuse is the only school in the country that has orange as its official color???

I friggin hated that PR crap when they changed. Personally, they should go back to Orangemen and bring back the Saltine Warrior just to piss people off...
Old 02-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #58
JeeberD
General Manager

I thought that UT has it's own private oil field that pumps out oil used specifically for the football team's plane...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #59
tucker342
Pro Starter

Same shit happened to Iowa... back when Iowa was awful, a home and home was scheduled with Missouri. Of course once Iowa started winning, Missouri backed out. The first game was supposed to be this past season, but because Missouri backed out Iowa was forced to play UNI. If you agree to a game, fuckin' play it.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #60
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The almighty buck is a powerful decision maker.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #61
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I friggin hated that PR crap when they changed. Personally, they should go back to Orangemen and bring back the Saltine Warrior just to piss people off...

Hell, they should have Jim Brown, Larry Csonka and Floyd Little do a lemonparty at halftime and that would still be better than what they have now.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #62
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
You do realize that they had a long running rivalry until SU actually started winning and then for some odd reason, PSU wouldn't play us anymore. Miami, Nebraska and ND are all recent (last 5 years tops) and future opponents. Nice try tho.
From my understanding, Penn State had won 18 out of the last 20 meetings and offered Syracuse a 10 year contract, with 6 out of the ten being at Beaver Stadium. Syracuse refused, on the basis that they were on the same level as Penn State. Over the next 10 years, Syracuse finished in the top ten only once compared to PSU's 4 times and averaged about half of PSU's attendance.

In 1991 PSU played Georgia Tech, BYU, Miami, Notre Dame, BC, and USC. In 1992 they played Miami, BYU, ND, Pitt, and BC. In 1993 they joined the Big Ten (Michigan, tOSU, etc) and scheduled USC for good measure. But they were scared to play the Orangemen, I guess.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #63
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
But they've already dropped one from that list

Uh, about that Syracuse series...yeah, doesn't look like that is going to happen either.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #64
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
It does not happen all the time, maybe one game being cancelled every three years.

Reading all of the examples in this thread, I don't think it is one every 3 years. Maybe that's how many it is per team, but certainly not just one rescheduling overall every 3 years.