21C
College Prospect

Rugby Team To Use Initials Instead of Numbers

hxxp://www.nswrugby.com.au/nsw/nsw.rugby/page/40558

Numbers Game No More for HSBC Waratahs

Lote Tuqiri models new jersey

Wednesday, February 01, 2006
NSWRU Media Unit

The HSBC Waratahs will break with tradition and replace numbers with initials for Saturday's Rotomahana Challenge showdown with the Crusaders.

The players will still have numbers on their shorts but each jersey will be unique to the player wearing it.

"I think it's a great move," said Lote Tuqiri who modelled his initials 'LT' at Aussie Stadium today.

"The blue jersey already means a lot to me but now it's really personal.

"The numbers aren't significant especially with our roving game plan so I think it's an initiative that makes sense Rugby-wise too."

NSW head coach Ewen McKenzie said the idea was hatched late last year as the coaching staff pursued a more flexible playing style.

"We felt there was too much fixation, internally and externally, on the numbers the players had on their backs," McKenzie said.

"The players shouldn't be inhibited by their run-on number."

"The Waratahs aren't about who plays ten or who plays thirteen because those positions are only temporary on the playing field.

"Sure we'll name a traditional one to twenty-two and have numerals on our shorts but that doesn't define the Waratah game.

"Psychologically it's already working wonders; the players are fully supportive of it and can't wait to get their jerseys."

NSWRU Chief Executive Officer, Fraser Neill, is expecting a range of responses to the move.

"It's bold, no doubt about that, but I think it's a clever move by the team," said Mr Neill.

"The rules allow it and we've got on with it.

"From a supporters point of view it will be a hit," Mr Neill added.

"The only issue we have is with hyphenated names, so Sam Norton-Knight will be NK for example.

21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
21C
College Prospect

I thought this was a joke when I heard about it. I initially thought of the XFL and "He Hate Me". I don't know if this is just a marketing ploy to get people talking about the team or if they are serious about continuing with it.

The game in question is a preseason game for the Super 14 - a state/provincial competition for teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
AlexB
Pro Starter

Until around ten years ago Leicester Tigers and Bristol both used letters instead of numbers on the shirts (although these were still representative of the positions rather than the player) - when the professional league got going, the letters were dropped to aid easier player identification, at the cost of tradition, but what the hell...

This is the origin of the ABC club - Graham Rowntree, Richard Cockerill & Darren Garforth, the Leicester and England front row, wore the letters A, B and unsurprisingly C and dominated scrums

The Waritahs thing is a gimmick - will in fact be harder to identify players IMHO in general play
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

that's just plain stupid...What happens when 2 players have the same initials?