Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Contreras to Minors

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...as_demoted_ap/

I find this funny, because I do remember Yankee fans on this boarding bragging about this signing a few months ago. Just goes to show that all George knows how to do is throw money around, nothing else.

The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:39 PM   #2
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Re: Contreras to Minors

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...as_demoted_ap/

I find this funny, because I do remember Yankee fans on this boarding bragging about this signing a few months ago. Just goes to show that all George knows how to do is throw money around, nothing else.

Can you copy some threads where someone was bragging about this guy?
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:43 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

gonna look, might have been on the old board.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
The_herd
College Starter

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=014917
Old 04-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #5
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
gonna look, might have been on the old board.

You got one guy on the other board. I'm a Yankee fan and I thought they would both stink (Matsui included). I saw enough of guys like Ariel Prieto to know Cuban pitchers will never be what they are cracked up to be.

Matsui has been good so far, but he'll need to make adjustments at some point, we'll see if he makes them.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
The_herd
College Starter

Matsui has surprised, looks like he might be a solid player, don't think he'll ever hit the 40 homeruns some people were saying he could hit. A definate upgrade over Rondell White.

Contreras looks like Ankiel did in the playoffs a few years ago every time he takes the mound. He's looks scared to death.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:26 PM   #7
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Contreras looks like Ankiel did in the playoffs a few years ago every time he takes the mound. He's looks scared to death.

Well the Cuban who had the most success was El Duque, he spent time in Columbus before coming up in late July back in 98, so maybe it will do Contreras some good. It doesn't seem like he could possibly be this bad forever.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
oykib
College Starter

I think Matsui will continue to impress. Having watched him here in Japan, I can tell you that he is capable of hitting 40 homers back home.

But he did what Ichiro did when he come over to the bigs. He cut down on his swing to avoid strikeouts. Both Ichiro and he faced and face a lot of bad feeling out here for abandoning baseball. Their critics cannot say much overtly because they have both been successful. But they are worried about embarrassing themselves and their countries to a certain extent.

When Matsui bats .303-28-113 his numbers'll be respctably impressive. This is especially so bacause he'll be doing it for a Yanks team in the championship hunt.

His patience and eye are real. So, he was gonna wind up with a .400 OBP, regardless. However, he was probably worried about batting .250 - 270 with his previous swing. Homerun hitting being swing or miss, he probably figures that if things went bad he'd probably only hit slightly more than he is going to as a Paul O'Neill type line-drive hitter.

Actually, that's the player that he most resembles in recent Yankee history. And that's why most fans are already in love with him.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:49 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As much as I hate to say it, I just can't see anyone beating the Yankees over the season. They are this good without Jeter and Rivera. Here's hoping the A's can finally use those starters to get past the Yanks inthe playoffs.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:54 AM   #10
astralhaze
College Prospect

So yeah, two weeks is more than enough time to evaluate a player. Certainly. Contreras is a total bust. Riiiiiiiiiiight
Old 04-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #11
The_herd
College Starter

At no point has anyone said he's a total bust in this thread. But, the guy has a contract worth 32 mil, and he's pitching in the minors. Not exactly what Mr. George had in mind I'm sure.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yup. If your paying someone that much cash and your GM isn't Kevin Malone (and your name isn't Carlos Perez) your a bust
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote