Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2003, 07:08 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

CNN's Reputation

CNN has certainly received some attention recently, in terms of the perceived slantedness of their war coverage. Now, my point with this thread is not to debate whether they are or are not too slanted in their coverage, but to simply suggest that if the perception among too many people is that CNN's coverage should be called into question, that could cause serious problems for a once-revolutionary network.

For example, this is a real exchange from yesterday, from another board I frequent:

Me: He [Dr. Atkins] died today. CNN has it on their "breaking news" header.

Poster #1: Wow, you mean they put other info on that channel than Operation Iraqi Freedom. No Way!

Poster #2: Yeah, but they reported it as another civilian casualty.

For a news network, being the butt of jokes about your credibility is not good. I don't watch the late shows, have Letterman/Leno, etc., made some of these jokes? Just wondering...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:33 AM   #2
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Among the talk radio crowd, CNN didn't have a good rep to begin with, but this and the premature obit fiasco will have an effect, IMO.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #3
KWhit
Coordinator

What premature obit? I hadn't heard about this.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:39 AM   #4
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

Don't you mean the Clinton News Network. During the Clinton administration CNN was a 24/7 praise Clinton channel. It still is very one sided and I no longer watch that channel. I have switched to MSNBC.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:42 AM   #5
Easy Mac

I'm pretty sure I could come up with a million similar jokes about Fox News. there is no such thing as news anymore, its about getting people to watch your show.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:46 AM   #6
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
I'm pretty sure I could come up with a million similar jokes about Fox News. there is no such thing as news anymore, its about getting people to watch your show.

News has always been biased. Don't kid yourself by thinking otherwise.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:57 AM   #7
Ksyrup

My point wasn't so much to ridicule CNN as it was to wonder whether its very existence is in doubt, given the recent issues that have been brought to light. You can make fun of Fox all you want, but I haven't really heard it's credibility called into question - it's more of a "Fox is for conservatives" rant. This goes beyond that.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-18-2003, 09:15 AM   #8
Easy Mac

Well, the above exchange is more or less a "CNN is liberal" rant, its not much different.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:17 AM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

if ratings are there, credibilty doesn't matter at all.

for related info see News, FOX.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #10
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

the premature obit story can be found here .

Basically a portion of their website featuring pre-written obituaries of Pope John Paul II, Dick Cheney, Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope and others.

I think you can also find the mockups at The Smoking Gun .
Old 04-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #11
ACStrider
High School JV

CNN isn't going anywhere. Its credibility and attraction have certainly slipped to FOXNEWS and other stations over the years. CNN has a more global attraction (in part for its occasional un-American slant, I'm sure), and as long as thcy continue to spin things into an un-American slant, there will be an un-American following.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:28 AM   #12
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I just read that "Fox and Friends" beat the CBS morning show for the second week in a row. That's pretty darn amazing.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:50 AM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

I think its funny because during the war you had war protestors saying CNN was too pro-war and you had pro-war folks saying CNN was too pro-war-protest...

Last edited by Daimyo : 04-18-2003 at 09:52 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:54 AM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

CNN recently was picked as the "most credible" news network in some poll. I think the Fox is conservative, CNN is liberal debate really doesn't come to play for the majority of Americans. Neither Fox or CNN is in any danger of closing shop.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:05 AM   #15
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
CNN recently was picked as the "most credible" news network in some poll. I think the Fox is conservative, CNN is liberal debate really doesn't come to play for the majority of Americans. Neither Fox or CNN is in any danger of closing shop.

Was this before or after the Eason Jordan op/ed piece?

I don't know what the polls say, but I know what the ratings say, and it's quickly becoming a bloodbath.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:38 AM   #16
mckerney
Coordinator

The mock-ups had been on a development site meant for internal review. But the public briefly had access to them after the password protection got disabled.

So pretty much people were searching CNN as we were Digital River prior ro the FOF release?

Was it a good 30-45 seconds after a mock order form for FOF2 (I believe) was up before members here started downloading.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:42 AM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cam: That was before the Eason Jordan piece, but I still don't think that CNN is going to go under. They'll take a hit for a while, but I'm betting that my local cable will still have CNN on 28 five years from now.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:49 AM   #18
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

What has Boortz had to say about CNN? I know he's filled in from time to time on Talkback Live, but is the Radio Station he works for, WSB-750 AM in Atlanta, owned by CNN or one of its subsidaries?

Personally I watch Fox News Channel more than CNN or MSNBC except for when Geraldo Rivera aka Jerry Rivers happens to be on the air.. What a joke he is, but that's a whole other subject..
Old 04-18-2003, 11:53 AM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
News has always been biased. Don't kid yourself by thinking otherwise.

And the winner is. . . Fritz.

I remember a masters journalism class I attended. There were about 10 of us in the class. The prof asked us a question: What is the main job of a newspaper reporter? The first person raised their hand and said something to the effect of "To give a fair, unbiased account of a news story" Most everyone else agreed with him.

I raised my hand and said "To make your newspaper money, period." The prof responded with And the winner is. . .

I'm returning the favor to Fritz.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 01:22 PM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Remember that statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics.

On the ratings front, Fox is indeed ahead of CNN.

But revenue is what keeps the lights on. Where does revenue on TV come from? That's right, advertisements, and how much a company is willing to pay to put an ad on your network.

So the surprising statistic is that while Fox is ahead of CNN in the ratings, CNN still receives more advertising revenue than Fox does.

Which, to me (please wait while I don my flamesuit) draws a comparison to a WalMart store and a Neiman-Marcus store. The WalMart store will draw more customers, but the Neiman-Marcus (wait, got an arm stuck putting on the suit) will get more revenue with more customers.

(Flame suit on and burn-proof) Now ask yourself, where would you rather be seen shopping?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 01:41 PM   #21
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

cartman,

it also take a little while for advertisers to switch over. I'm not saying that CNN isn't going to be here five years from now, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put even more emphasis on their broadcasts outside of America.

And I think if Fox's ratings continue to trend upward once the war ends, then you'll see more companies advertise on Fox.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:49 PM   #22
Ksyrup

I'd rather shop at the one at which I can buy shit I need and use.

At first I thought the comparison was outrageous, but on a certain level, it fits. Who the hell needs to buy matching his and hers solid gold dildo holders for $18K apiece? Similarly, who the hell wants to listen to people bitch about crap only 1% of the country believes or is interested in?
Old 04-18-2003, 01:52 PM   #23
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

you lost me at dildo holders.

Quote:
the hell wants to listen to people bitch about crap only 1% of the country believes or is interested in?

Who are you referring to here?
Old 04-18-2003, 02:03 PM   #24
Ksyrup

Cartman made a comparison between Wal Mart and Neiman Marcus to make a point about CNN/Fox.

My analogy was, Neiman Marcus has shit no one wants or needs, just like CNN allows people to spout off on issues no one cares about or believes, and Wal Mart has things I need/use, similar to Fox's news (this was a tortured analogy to begin with - blame Cartman!).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-18-2003 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:07 PM   #25
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

.."Who the hell needs to buy matching his and hers solid gold dildo holders for $18K apiece?..

They make those? Great comment K-Su!!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:57 PM   #26
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

KSyrup: How about some peolpe prefer WalMart and some prefer Neiman Marcus? Of course I already know that those who prefer Neiman Marcus are pampered elitist snobs, not at all like O'Reilly or Hannity ect.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #27
Ksyrup

Of course they do. I was just taking Cartman's premise and having some fun with it.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:52 PM   #28
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
Among the talk radio crowd, CNN didn't have a good rep to begin with, but this and the premature obit fiasco will have an effect, IMO.

C'mon guys! Through two states and four major cities, I haven't been able to hear anyone other than Rush Limbaugh and all the Dittohead Wanna-be's for ten years now on my radio. Let's not try and saturate the TV market with sensationalist conservatives now. Leave CNN alone. Whenever the next Democrat comes back to the Oval Office, you'll have plenty of things to bitch about.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 07:11 AM   #29
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by cartman

Which, to me draws a comparison to a WalMart store and a Neiman-Marcus store.

Now ask yourself, where would you rather be seen shopping?

But, Ask yourself what Stock would you rather own?