Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #101
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Todd (or anyone else),

I've decided to get a PSP today since I know I'm going to get it sooner or later for FM if nothing else (although I know I'll want quite a few other games for it.)

What do you recommend as the best two games right now?

If you like Tetris type puzzle games, Lumines is quite addicting.

After reading this blurb from Play magazine, MVP is going to see more playing time from me as well (yes it's $50 - $10 more than MLB 2006):

Quote:
"Showcasing beautiful graphics, excellent audio and solid gameplay, MVP is the baseball game to get for the PSP. Although this version has been customized for the PSP, overall, this is the console version of MVP. It's amazing how much is in this title, all translated perfectly to the PSP. Another nice feature is the optimized viewing angle, allowing players to see more of the field. Where other sports games have apted to take out some or all of the play-by-play commentary, MVP has it for every game you play, courtesy of Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. Unfortunately, there isn't a Franchise mode in MVP, but there is a great season mode, as well as an addictive Homerun Showdown."8.5/10

I also like Tiger Woods (warning, the load times are a bit high, but hey.. it's a golf game for peats sake).

Wipeout Pure went back, I just didn't get into it and I've read Ridge Racer is quite fun (that's on my radar)

So..

1. Lumines
2. Tiger Woods

BUT MVP is my #2 as of the 18th when it's due to hit stores.

Also, I recommend the Logitech Case: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10181

and this screen overlay: http://www.overlayplus.com/US/produc...20PSP&pid=1739

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #102
Bee
Pro Starter

Tony Hawk's Underground Remix has gotten pretty good reviews if your into that type of game and Untold Legends has been relatively popular with the Diablo style gamers.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:05 PM   #103
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My favorite psp website: www.pspworld.com

For you poker players: 2K Sports announced its E3 lineup today, which included World Poker Tour 2K6 for PSP. In World Poker Tour, players face off against real WPT players, in real WPT venues. Features include custom poker game creation through the poker editor, an online mode that for play in leagues with your friends, and a presentation modeled after the popular WPT broadcasts, featuring commentary by real WPT announcers. No pricing or release information for World Poker Tour 2K6 was announced.

Todd
Old 05-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Todd,

Thanks for the heads up on the screen protector and case. Hopefully, my local EB Games will have those accessories. As for games, I've heard plenty of good things about Lumines and really enjoyed Tetris several years ago. So, that seems like that will be a good buy. I'll probably wait for MVP for my other buy.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #105
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Todd,

Thanks for the heads up on the screen protector and case. Hopefully, my local EB Games will have those accessories. As for games, I've heard plenty of good things about Lumines and really enjoyed Tetris several years ago. So, that seems like that will be a good buy. I'll probably wait for MVP for my other buy.

I know the Logitech case is available most places by now and I've already pre-ordered the new Logitech Stealth ear buds as the ones that come with the psp hurt my ears after an extended period of time.

I don't think you'll find the Martin Fields screen protector anywhere, although you'll find some imitations. The clerk from EB Games told me of the Martin Fields and I'd have to agree, quite a nice screen protector.

Lumines is quite addicting and the tecno music is quite good. Since you enjoyed Tetris, you'll love Lumines.

Todd
Old 05-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #106
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I know the Logitech case is available most places by now and I've already pre-ordered the new Logitech Stealth ear buds as the ones that come with the psp hurt my ears after an extended period of time.

I don't think you'll find the Martin Fields screen protector anywhere, although you'll find some imitations. The clerk from EB Games told me of the Martin Fields and I'd have to agree, quite a nice screen protector.

Lumines is quite addicting and the tecno music is quite good. Since you enjoyed Tetris, you'll love Lumines.

Todd

Thanks again for the info. I'll order the Martin Fields screen protector online if it is not at the store. I just hope the EB Games will let me open it up and look for dead pixels. Otherwise, I'll have to go to Best Buy since I heard they are doing that. However, I probably won't make the trip out to Best Buy until later in the week.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #107
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks again for the info. I'll order the Martin Fields screen protector online if it is not at the store. I just hope the EB Games will let me open it up and look for dead pixels. Otherwise, I'll have to go to Best Buy since I heard they are doing that. However, I probably won't make the trip out to Best Buy until later in the week.

If you go to Best Buy they will unpackage it over at the geek squad and check it out, kind of nice if you ask me. I was at EB games the other day and the guy had just brought his 3rd psp back for something or another, but he had the extended coverage and they gave him a new one without any questions.

Bottom line.. get the extended coverage whether it's BB or EB Games.

Todd
Old 05-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #108
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, I went to my local EB Games and they are sold out. EB Games won't let me open it there, but there are less than a 2 minute drive from me and I'll be able to return it easily if needed.

However, my wife was offering to go out to Babbage's or Best Buy. So, I called the local Best Buy and they are sold out. So, I call Babbage's and I've never talked to a less helpful, less considerate sales person over the phone. This guy happily told me that they have one in stock and that he would hold it for me, and I should ask for him.

I then proceeded to ask if they would open it for me. He said, "No."

I asked if they have an extended warranty, and he replied, "I don't think so."

I asked if I could bring it back if there were any dead pixels. He replied, "Yeah. I think so, don't quote me on that."

I asked him if I could speak to someone who could actually answer my questions, and he replied, "we are very busy right now. We can answer your questions when you are in the store."

I told him to forget it, and that I would give my money to a more customer friendly store. Mrs. Eaglesfan is going out shopping and is going to see if Circuit City will open it for her. Otherwise, I'll just wait til EB Games around the corner gets a new system on Weds. or Thurs. (I would have just waited anyway if Mrs. Eaglesfan wasn't already heading out in that direction to do some shopping.)

No matter where we get it from, they have to offer a good extended warranty.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

My wife just called from Best Buy. She had to go there to get something she wanted. She just called to let me know she is having the Geek squad check out my new PSP out now

Apparently, the salesperson I talked to on the phone didn't know what they were talking about as Best Buy was not sold out.

However, they didn't have the screen protector or that particular case. They did have Lumines and she decided to buy a GB of memory stick as well

Edit: She also got the extended warranty.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-16-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola -

My wife just called from Best Buy. She had to go there to get something she wanted. She just called to let me know she is having the Geek squad check out my new PSP out now

Apparently, the salesperson I talked to on the phone didn't know what they were talking about as Best Buy was not sold out.

However, they didn't have the screen protector or that particular case. They did have Lumines and she decided to buy a GB of memory stick as well

Edit: She also got the extended warranty.

What more could you want from a spouse?

Go to EB games or Gamestop for the Logitech case, I haven't seen one at Best Buy around here (I ordered mine from ebgames.com) and the screen protector is only online as far as I know.

Let me know what you think of Lumines.

Todd
Old 05-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't have many breaks as the clinic actually had a 90% show rate today, but I played Lumines some during my lunch break and it is a very good game. Such a simplistic concept, yet so many strategies potentially. I'm not very good at the game yet, but I'm enjoying it very much. Actually, I'll probably play this some at home tonight too
Old 05-18-2005, 09:31 PM   #112
SegRat
High School Varsity

Madden PSP http://psp.ign.com/articles/616/616315p1.html?fromint=1

Towards the bottom they do mention franchise mode.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:04 PM   #113
streetballer22
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat

I noticed that, very exciting.

Got mine a couple days ago and bought Twisted Metal: HeadOn. It's been very fun so far, I even play it at home. Very happy with my purchase so far and looking forward to GTA!
streetballer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:29 PM   #114
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat

Great find! Thanks!!

Todd
Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #115
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I know I mentioned this in the E3 thread, but PSP was conspicuously absent from Sony's presentation- maybe 5 minutes out of nearly 2 hours. They showed a couple more on the floor it sounds like but, really, it seems like they've hit a development lull.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:39 PM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wow. I'm hoping Madden really does have a Franchise mode. I don't mind the absence of a franchise mode for MVP too much because it is a 162 game season, but with a 16 game season I want Madden to have a franchise mode of some form.

Oh yeah, Lumines is surprisingly addicting. I thought I'd only be playing my PSP at work, but I decided I was going to play Lumines for a half hour after work. It turned into a 3 hour session.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I know I mentioned this in the E3 thread, but PSP was conspicuously absent from Sony's presentation- maybe 5 minutes out of nearly 2 hours. They showed a couple more on the floor it sounds like but, really, it seems like they've hit a development lull.

SI

I thing they're too busy pimping the ps3. If you read some of the stuff over at pspworld.com - the psp isn't even using the full 333mhz processing speed yet by developers.

Todd
Old 05-19-2005, 09:22 AM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. I'm hoping Madden really does have a Franchise mode. I don't mind the absence of a franchise mode for MVP too much because it is a 162 game season, but with a 16 game season I want Madden to have a franchise mode of some form.

Oh yeah, Lumines is surprisingly addicting. I thought I'd only be playing my PSP at work, but I decided I was going to play Lumines for a half hour after work. It turned into a 3 hour session.

Yeah, Lumines will do that to you.

Todd
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #119
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola,

MVP 2005 PSP

Damn.. I wish I had more time to play this game instead of working.

Anyhow, after two quick start games it's very similar to the console version EXCEPT the game is much more challenging.. even on Pro. This is due to the parks actually feeling like they should - I don't think we'll need to tweak outfielder speeds because I've seen all kinds of bloop hits, especially with slower fielders. I love this part of the game. Fielder's ratings are VERY noticeable.

A tad bit of slowdown between the out and the next batter coming up to bat. I also had to turn the pitching speed all the way down, just like MLB.. it's just to hard to see, imo. I use assisted fielding, but if you like manual.. I think aerial view might be what you would want to use.

Seems like all the commentary is there, the replays, etc.. even fireworks on HR's. Basically, it's the full console version of the game minus the franchise mode. BUT it's harder and if it stays this hard on PRO, I'll be very happy because I like the higher scores on Pro moreso than All Star.

Using the 4/3 pitching/batting views and it definitly takes some time to get used to the strikezone and of course with the psp, it's much harder to pinpoint your spots with the touchy analog stick.. again, I like this.

I hope to get another game or two in soon, but so far it's MVP and if that's what you want via portable, then get it. If MLB does the trick for you, save the $50.

Don't know much about rosters yet, as that's not a huge deal for me.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-19-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Double Dola,

MVP 2005 PSP

Damn.. I wish I had more time to play this game instead of working.

Anyhow, after two quick start games it's very similar to the console version EXCEPT the game is much more challenging.. even on Pro. This is due to the parks actually feeling like they should - I don't think we'll need to tweak outfielder speeds because I've seen all kinds of bloop hits, especially with slower fielders. I love this part of the game. Fielder's ratings are VERY noticeable.

A tad bit of slowdown between the out and the next batter coming up to bat. I also had to turn the pitching speed all the way down, just like MLB.. it's just to hard to see, imo. I use assisted fielding, but if you like manual.. I think aerial view might be what you would want to use.

Seems like all the commentary is there, the replays, etc.. even fireworks on HR's. Basically, it's the full console version of the game minus the franchise mode. BUT it's harder and if it stays this hard on PRO, I'll be very happy because I like the higher scores on Pro moreso than All Star.

Using the 4/3 pitching/batting views and it definitly takes some time to get used to the strikezone and of course with the psp, it's much harder to pinpoint your spots with the touchy analog stick.. again, I like this.

I hope to get another game or two in soon, but so far it's MVP and if that's what you want via portable, then get it. If MLB does the trick for you, save the $50.

Don't know much about rosters yet, as that's not a huge deal for me.

Todd

I placed a preorder because I've heard that PSP games aren't coming to my local EB Games in high numbers. So, I'm very glad to hear the positive review from you Todd. I'm picking it up on the way home from work in about an hour or two

I figured I would probably have to turn down the pitch speed to see it on the smaller screen. I'm glad to hear all of the features such as assisted fielding are in the PSP version.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #121
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

After some more games, the familiar game I love on the Xbox is back and now portable. I'm happy, and most of you know I've supported MVP since it came out this year.

Actually, playing the field on "zoom" is much better than aerial.. it only zooms at the last minute, which makes a difference with the small screen - but I still have it back on assisted as want my fielders to play like their ratings. I'm telling you, default Pro.. much harder - could just be me getting used to the game, but I'm really liking the more variety of hits due to the huge outfields - I really think it's portrayed perfectly.. from playing in Kansas City to Houston, etc.. outfield dimensions do matter.

I assume I'll get better, but I don't think I'll need the pitching meter on -50 like the console version, pitching from btp is damn hard, and well, that's a good thing. There are slowdowns here and there but so far, nothing that has impacted gameplay - mainly transitioning from out to batter walkup animation.

I haven't checked out season mode yet, but I've heard there is no reserves.. so maybe no injuries - which, without a franchise mode is no biggie to me. The game feels and plays like MVP.

Todd
Old 05-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After some more games, the familiar game I love on the Xbox is back and now portable. I'm happy, and most of you know I've supported MVP since it came out this year.

Actually, playing the field on "zoom" is much better than aerial.. it only zooms at the last minute, which makes a difference with the small screen - but I still have it back on assisted as want my fielders to play like their ratings. I'm telling you, default Pro.. much harder - could just be me getting used to the game, but I'm really liking the more variety of hits due to the huge outfields - I really think it's portrayed perfectly.. from playing in Kansas City to Houston, etc.. outfield dimensions do matter.

I assume I'll get better, but I don't think I'll need the pitching meter on -50 like the console version, pitching from btp is damn hard, and well, that's a good thing. There are slowdowns here and there but so far, nothing that has impacted gameplay - mainly transitioning from out to batter walkup animation.

I haven't checked out season mode yet, but I've heard there is no reserves.. so maybe no injuries - which, without a franchise mode is no biggie to me. The game feels and plays like MVP.

Todd

I just played a game. I love that you can put in sleep mode (I read some games don't support sleep mode. I'm glad that both of the games I have do support it.) It's not going to make me want to play when I'm at home and can play on the Xbox, but for a portable version it is amazing. I can't believe the graphics look so good for such a little screen. I don't like how it will try to run to the base when you press the throw button if you are close, but I understand the reason for the design decision. I also find the pitch meter ridiculously fast for some reason. I agree that Pro level looks like it is going to be much more of a challenge, and slowing down the pitch speed on the small screen is essential.

Overall, my early impressions are quite favorable, and I think this is going to be perfect for lunch break and other work break play.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:12 PM   #123
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just played a game. I love that you can put in sleep mode (I read some games don't support sleep mode. I'm glad that both of the games I have do support it.) It's not going to make me want to play when I'm at home and can play on the Xbox, but for a portable version it is amazing. I can't believe the graphics look so good for such a little screen. I don't like how it will try to run to the base when you press the throw button if you are close, but I understand the reason for the design decision. I also find the pitch meter ridiculously fast for some reason. I agree that Pro level looks like it is going to be much more of a challenge, and slowing down the pitch speed on the small screen is essential.

Overall, my early impressions are quite favorable, and I think this is going to be perfect for lunch break and other work break play.

Couldn't agree more.. and since I sold my Xbox.. I'll play the heck out of it.

Todd
Old 08-31-2005, 06:23 PM   #124
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Sorry to raise up an older thread but I was just curious as to how all you PSP owners still feel about the thing. Now that it is a few months later, I am just wondering about it's lasting appeal. Do you guys think it will be something that is supported by Sony for years to come or say once PS3 comes out the PSP will start to "phase out"? Are there a lot of new games coming out for it or are developers not taking to it?

I know I got a bit involved with the questions there but my main one is just are you guys still playing your PSP's or are they collecting dust so to speak? I'm a big gadget nerd and the idea of having all those things in one little thing is so cool. But its a lot of money, especially if it is something that I will lose interest in fast or something that just doesn't have a lot of games coming out for it.

Also, how big is the thing? I've yet to see one in person and I still think they don't have display models out. Is it too big to comfortably use as an mp3 player? That is my main concern. Does it fit in like a jean pocket or would it stick out some?

Thanks guys.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:31 PM   #125
SegRat
High School Varsity

I am very happy with mine so far. I am really looking forward to some of the new games coming out soon, especially madden. I use mine quite a bit, but I also sold my ps2 so the psp is all I have now. I do think sony is very committed to it. Tons of movies have now been released in UMD, with many more coming. The psp will fit in the palm of your hand.

The down side is loading times for games. They can be pretty slow, but supposedly they are getting better.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:35 PM   #126
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr
Sorry to raise up an older thread but I was just curious as to how all you PSP owners still feel about the thing.

I like it, but I haven't played it much in recent months because there haven't been any new games to play on it.

Quote:
Do you guys think it will be something that is supported by Sony for years to come or say once PS3 comes out the PSP will start to "phase out"?

Two separate product lines. Nintendo hasn't phased out the Game Boy line as a result of any home console releases. Really no reason for Sony to phase out what they're marketing as "the 21st century Walkman," PS3 or not.

Quote:
Are there a lot of new games coming out for it or are developers not taking to it?

Sony's mistake was releasing it in March when game publishers generally focus on the September-December period for new releases. Maybe the early release was designed to change that mindset, which is a laudable goal, but if that was their goal, it didn't work.

There'll be a flood of stuff this Christmas, and then, barring a sleeper hit (à la Katamari Damacy) absolutely nothing to write home about until late summer next year. That's how it goes in this industry.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:01 PM   #127
Philliesfan980
Banned

As some of you might have caught, I sold mine today (on here actually).

Its a really nice product. Best of class, without a doubt. I just had a hard time finding the use for it. I'd rather play a PC or XBOX game, my job is local, I'm an adult and do my own driving. And if I'm on vacation, well, I don't really need video games to keep me busy.

In short, it was a use issue for me.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #128
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Sold mine because I got 20% added to the total since I was putting it down towards a 360.. They were very nice, but I just didn't use mine enough. Now that I don't have it, I defininately want another one.. I guess that's how things go.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:10 AM   #129
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I just bought one this week, and I'm loving it! Hot Shots Golf is tonnes of fun, and I'm looking forward to the GTA game that comes out in October. There also appear to be 2-3 RPG's coming out this month, and Nov-Dec always delivers a slew of good games to all systems.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #130
dervack
College Prospect

I love mine. I can't wait for Virtua Tennis, Madden, and Socom for it. It's the first handheld I've owned and played more than twice a month.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:12 AM   #131
SegRat
High School Varsity

Thought this was worth passing on, a 4 GB hard drive and larger battery for the PSP.

http://psp.darkplanets.co.uk:81/datel-4gb-harddrive.asp
Old 10-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #132
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I just bought one this week, and I'm loving it! Hot Shots Golf is tonnes of fun, and I'm looking forward to the GTA game that comes out in October. There also appear to be 2-3 RPG's coming out this month, and Nov-Dec always delivers a slew of good games to all systems.

I am hoping and praying that X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse will have Infrastructure multiplayer.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #133
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I imported one from Japan recently (they're sold out in the UK currently) and have currently got:

Ape Academy (my son loves this - I'm pretty fond of it also )
Untold Legends

On order:
Pro Evo
Burnout Legends

I'm currently considering (advice happily recieved as to whether these are any good):
Starwars Battlefront II
MediEvil Resurrection

Have Fun,

Marc
PS> FM PSP will be regionless (as with all PSP games) in case anyone was wondering ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #134
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan

Marc
PS> FM PSP will be regionless (as with all PSP games) in case anyone was wondering ...

Glad to hear that. I can't wait to import FM PSP (assuming it won't be released in the USA.)
Old 11-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #135
dervack
College Prospect

I hate to bump old threads, but I'm looking to move my PSP, so if anyone wants to buy it, PM me, and I'll give you details.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #136
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I just got one last night and I like it a lot. I've never actually owned my own video game system of any sort, so..it's sorta exciting given my affinity for them overall.

Really neat.