Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Wireless Router Help

I've spent like 6 hours on this over the weekend.

I can get the wireless router to work if I don't have any security on the network - if it's open. Any time I try to set it to WPA or WEP it won't connect. I'm stumped. Could it be that the wireless card in the new dell laptop? Is there a setting in the software of the computer that I need to adjust?

Please keep in mind I'm an idiot.

lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Once you enter the WEP or WPA key into the router, you also need to enter the same password into the laptop. Usually it asks for the password once you try to manually connect which you can do by right clicking on the wireless connection in the bottom right of your screen.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Once you enter the WEP or WPA key into the router, you also need to enter the same password into the laptop. Usually it asks for the password once you try to manually connect which you can do by right clicking on the wireless connection in the bottom right of your screen.

Yeah, I've done this about a half dozen times. I've used the keys generated by the router, and I've made up my own. Nothing worked so far.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Barkeep49
Coordinator

There are 2 ways a router key can be entered. ASCII, which uses normally A-Z, 0-9, and will be 5 letters long and Hexadecmil which will be 10 letters long and use the letters a-f and 0-9. Make sure your router and laptop are each using the same kind of security.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
There are 2 ways a router key can be entered. ASCII, which uses normally A-Z, 0-9, and will be 5 letters long and Hexadecmil which will be 10 letters long and use the letters a-f and 0-9. Make sure your router and laptop are each using the same kind of security.

How do I look at what the laptop card is using?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Windows XP service pack 2 should automatically set it according to the key you enter. BTW are you using the built in wireless zero config from Windows or are you using the Wireless config tool for the network card? Are the brands of the card and the router the same or different?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Windows XP service pack 2 should automatically set it according to the key you enter. BTW are you using the built in wireless zero config from Windows or are you using the Wireless config tool for the network card? Are the brands of the card and the router the same or different?

Good questions. The router is a Linksys WRT54G Wireless G. The laptop card is whatever comes inside a new dell laptop.

The computer has XP on it, but I'm not sure if it has service pack 2. I used the software that came with the router to set up the network, I haven't touched the card in the laptop in any way that I know of.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
Good questions. The router is a Linksys WRT54G Wireless G. The laptop card is whatever comes inside a new dell laptop.

The computer has XP on it, but I'm not sure if it has service pack 2. I used the software that came with the router to set up the network, I haven't touched the card in the laptop in any way that I know of.

Ok first thing I would suggest is get all your hotfixes and service packs installed Windows XP has been highly improved when it comes to wireless connections in SP2.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote