Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #51
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Your characterization would be more accurate the other way around. Many Catholics believe that 'there is no salvation outside the church.' Mel Gibson has publicly stated that he believes his wife (who I believe belongs to the Church of England? I forget...) is doomed.

There are a few Protestant sects vehemently anti-Catholic, even going so far as to consider them un-saved, but it's pretty unusual.
That reminds me of a talk I had with my fiancee recently. She's a Christmas/Easter Catholic and when I was telling her about this (non denomonational) Christian Wedding planner, she said neither of us are Christain. First she feels that since I was never baptised I'm not Christian, which I disagree with, because it's what you feel in your heart and mind that makes you Christian IMO, not the things that you do to be Christian. And then she she said she wasn't either because she's Catholic, but then she back tracked on that when I reminded her it was "non-denomenational".

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:30 PM   #52
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Protestants believe that salvation is only through Jesus Christ. Catholics have tended to teach that salvation is through the Church as guided by devine inspiration through the Pope (very simplified explanation) although lately with the last 2 Popes being very conservative and promoting Christ (present Pope has even stated salvation is only through Christ) the two sides have gotten very much closer in shared vision and faith.

I don't think that's an accurate characterization of Catholicism now or ever. Yes, they do often say salvation is only possible within the church, but not 'through' the church.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #53
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
The pope has nothing to do with salvation. During my 12 years of catholic school, I was never taught anything to that effect...

Well, not to quibble, but being raised a Catholic myself maybe we were taught differently here in the Midwest. Whatever, point is in the here and now Catholics and Protestants are pretty much on the same page concerning salvation through Christ. Although I think that the Catholics see the physical taking of the Eucharist as central to this also.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #54
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I lurned everything I need to know about them thar Catholics and Masons from the most trusted source of knowledge in the modern world: miniature comic books that I find at the bus stop.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0093/0093_01.asp

This is where things start to get really weird
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #55
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy
I lurned everything I need to know about them thar Catholics and Masons from the most trusted source of knowledge in the modern world: miniature comic books that I find at the bus stop.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0093/0093_01.asp

This is where things start to get really weird

Ha! Good old Chick tracts! Yes, they have a definite anti-Catholic bent to them, no denying that!

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 12-30-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:39 PM   #56
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Well, not to quibble, but being raised a Catholic myself maybe we were taught differently here in the Midwest. Whatever, point is in the here and now Catholics and Protestants are pretty much on the same page concerning salvation through Christ. Although I think that the Catholics see the physical taking of the Eucharist as central to this also.

Could be differences having to do with the order (Franciscan, Dominican, etc) in charge of your religious education. I've never heard of any teachings that are as pope/institution-centric as you suggest, however.

FWIW- I was raised Catholic, but now consider myself agnostic...
Klinglerware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #57
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

On a side note, the Masons have a great theatrical tradition in the U.S. There was a time when several scenic studios competed to produce the most elaborate drops and costumes for Masonic rites. Most Masonic Temples had a fully functional theatre and some, including one in Allentown that I worked in, are still active today.

They would do some crazy things. I remember seeing pictures ofan electric sword that shot sparks when it connected to another sword. The basic design was, "Attach wires to sword. Plug wires into outlet."
Old 12-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #58
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Masonry is the oldest (est in 1717) and largest (5,000,000 members) fraternaty in the world.

Each state (most countries outside the U.S.) has their own Grand Lodge. The Grand Lodges act independently. So some differences that you hear about might be regional.

To be a Mason you must believe in God, and we don't care which one. So there are Christian Masons, Jewish Masons and Islamic Masons. There may be others, but I know at least the BIG THREE are covered. Some of my best friends are Catholic Masons. I've heard of lodges in up-state NY that had priests as members. I've NEVER heard of Catholic/Masonry problems. I know there are problems with some fundamentalist sects of Christianity. I don't fully understand their problems, but I think it has something to do with swearing an oath to somebody/something other than God?

Also to be a Mason you must be a man, free born (meaning your life must be yours...no slaves, indentured servents - remember 1717. Modern meanings include such things as not being in jail.), of lawful age (21) and well recommended (have some Mason friends who think you'll make a good Mason or impress the investigating committee that will check you out before you enter the lodge.)

Masonry's degrees (or rites of passage if you will) each have moral teachings (with symbols). Theses teaches are the basis of Masonry - Make good men better by association with other good men. We work to be better men, husbands, neighbors, fathers and brothers (our basic Masonic title.).

Masonry is not a religion, but it is very religious. Most of our ritual and symbols revolve around the building of King Soloman's Temple. Some of the other posts were accurate that all of the religious work is very basic - God. Using the Old Testament is very basic also since all three of the BIG THREE include that text in their holy books.

That's a very shotgun answer to the question. There are entire libraries dedicated to the subject of Masonry. If you have any other questions, please ask. I'll do my best to answer them.

P.S. If Free Masons are controlling the world economy and politics they've left me and my local Brother Masons out of the loop

Last edited by Flame Eater : 12-30-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #59
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

As for Catholics and Christians. I'd say that most Christians would say that Catholics are Christians, they would quibble amongst themselves about declaring Catholics as "saved". Many Protestants/Christians think the Catholics have lost their way so to speak, but I think it would be near ludicrous to pronounce that Catholics aren't Christian. Catholicism is a branch of the Christian church.

Someone mentioned that some Christians(maybe I should say Protestants) don't consider Mormons to be Christians. I'd go further and say that most don't believe that Mormons are Christian, and some would go so far as to declare Mormonism a cult.

Flame Eater, thanks for shedding some light on this subject.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #60
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Eater
Masonry is the oldest (est in 1717) and largest (5,000,000 members) fraternaty in the world.

Each state (most countries outside the U.S.) has their own Grand Lodge. The Grand Lodges act independently. So some differences that you hear about might be regional.

To be a Mason you must believe in God, and we don't care which one. So there are Christian Masons, Jewish Masons and Islamic Masons. There may be others, but I know at least the BIG THREE are covered. Some of my best friends are Catholic Masons. I've heard of lodges in up-state NY that had priests as members. I've NEVER heard of Catholic/Masonry problems. I know there are problems with some fundamentalist sects of Christianity. I don't fully understand their problems, but I think it has something to do with swearing an oath to somebody/something other than God?

Also to be a Mason you must be a man, free born (meaning your life must be yours...no slaves, indentured servents - remember 1717. Modern meanings include such things as not being in jail.), of lawful age (21) and well recommended (have some Mason friends who think you'll make a good Mason or impress the investigating committee that will check you out before you enter the lodge.)

Masonry's degrees (or rites of passage if you will) each have moral teachings (with symbols). Theses teaches are the basis of Masonry - Make good men better by association with other good men. We work to be better men, husbands, neighbors, fathers and brothers (our basic Masonic title.).

Masonry is not a religion, but it is very religious. Most of our ritual and symbols revolve around the building of King Soloman's Temple. Some of the other posts were accurate that all of the religious work is very basic - God. Using the Old Testament is very basic also since all three of the BIG THREE include that text in their holy books.

That's a very shotgun answer to the question. There are entire libraries dedicated to the subject of Masonry. If you have any other questions, please ask. I'll do my best to answer them.

P.S. If Free Masons are controlling the world economy and politics they've left me and my local Brother Masons out of the loop

Flame Eater you might not be able to answer this question but what type of activities take place at Masonic lodges and why the secrecy around Masons in general? Thanks for fielding questions.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:48 AM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne

Someone mentioned that some Christians(maybe I should say Protestants) don't consider Mormons to be Christians. I'd go further and say that most don't believe that Mormons are Christian, and some would go so far as to declare Mormonism a cult.

Main reason that I strongly doubt Mass Gov. Romney has a chance in hell of winning the Republican nomination in 2008. I strongly doubt a Mormon can pull the right wing of the party.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:08 AM   #62
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I was wondering about this group for a while. I had a real good buddy who joined and he could never tell me anything about them. I have heard that they are anti-Biblical and anti-Christian in some of their beliefs. I am not saying this is true just something I have read.
Interesting that you brought this up.

My buddy's dad is a free mason, and my buddy's been thinking about joining up with them. Of course, he's been trying to get me to join up with him as well. I see a few vehicles here and there with the free mason badge on their cars, and I never really figured it out. Anyways, we talked about it for awhile (both our dads being retired Navy) though my dad was never a free mason.

He talked about how they got weird discounts sometimes, such as the time they returned to Japan during the earlier years, and watching his dad interact with the airline guy. Next thing that happens, they got bumped up to 1st class on the flight. In all honesty, I figured he wanted to join because of some perks. Some special 'greeting' that they have, and that his dad would often say weird sayings or what not to certain folks.

I guess free masons easily recognize other free masons in that regard.

Nonetheless, the free mason 'guild' (I guess that's what you call it) that my buddy went to grab an application at was based off in Coronado, an island/peninsula just outside of San Diego. Apparently, from what he tells me, all they do is get together and smoke cigarettes and hang out all day long.

There's some other rumors about history that are probably discussed in the links in the thread, but he mentioned that the only requirement that he understood so far was that one had to believe in the "one true god".

Didn't specify which one, though.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:35 AM   #63
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Main reason that I strongly doubt Mass Gov. Romney has a chance in hell of winning the Republican nomination in 2008. I strongly doubt a Mormon can pull the right wing of the party.

Well, that and the fact that he's a Republican from a blue state. I don't see that going over too well among the party faithful.

I confess, when it comes to Mormonism, they lose me on the whole "we become gods of our own planet" thing.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:25 AM   #64
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Eater

So any insight into how much we'll be paying for gas in 2006?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:28 AM   #65
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Well, that and the fact that he's a Republican from a blue state. I don't see that going over too well among the party faithful.

I confess, when it comes to Mormonism, they lose me on the whole "we become gods of our own planet" thing.

I get confused when two womanizers who get chased out of every state for sleeping with the local women somehow become religiously persecuted and found a major religion around being able to sleep with as many local women as they like.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:08 PM   #66
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Galaril -

There are really no "big" secrets left concerning Free Masonry. The biggest that we work to preserve are the signs of recognition - the handshakes and the passwords.

That being said, I have seen the full ritual for all three symbolic degrees (the first three degrees of Masonry) performed on a TV program on the A&E network (complete with handshakes and passwords). You can also buy books that have the ritual translated out into English. I'm not going to tell all the secrets here because I said I wouldn't, but if you are interested you can find them.

As to what happens at a meeting -

Most meetings are regular business meetings. There is a ritual in opening the lodge which is a dialog between the officers which includes checking to see that all present are actually Masons (taking the password/handshake). During the meeting we pay the bills, process petitions for new members, etc. And we also try to have a talk/lecture/"Masonic" sermon if you will. These talks involve self improvement, motivation, etc. Remember we are trying to be better men!

Other meetings involve degree work. New members must go through three degrees to become Master Masons. This work is done in the "Symbolic" lodge; often refered to as the "Blue" lodge. There are many other "Masonic" bodies, but they are all based on the work of the Symbolic Lodge. In each of these degrees the new members are introduced to increasing levels of Masonic knowledge until in the Master Mason degree they become Free and Accepted Masons.

Why are some Masons so secretive? Mostly out of habit. There was a time around the Civil War when masonry was repressed to the point that lodges closed, and Masons didn't admit their affiliations for fear of persecution. Most lodges today do their best to be seen well in the public eye. If you're interested in Masonry ask a Mason. They should be very willing to discuss Masonry, and help you get into a Lodge if you want. And if you can't find one that will talk to you, ask me. I love to talk about the Fraternity.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:16 PM   #67
Galaril
Pro Starter

Flame Eater thanks alot I might do just that.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote