Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Universal Remote (PS4 preferred)

Ok, so I'm at that point where as much as I tried to avoid it, I can't get everything working on my Direct TV remote.

Here's my basic setup:

Samsung TV (I doubt model matters)
Samsung HW-FM45C Soundbar
PlayStation 4
DirectTV

Everything works on the DirectTV remote, minus I can't control the power or source (switching sources) function on the soundbar. My other issue is that I obviously cannot control the PS4 (for Netflix for instance) with any of the remotes I have, minus the actual PS4 controller.

Is there a controller yet that will function with the PS4 and all of the above? I'd love to order one, but it's tough to know its functionality, precisely, before it gets here!

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How to use your TV Remote Control on Your PS4 - YouTube
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
SteveMax58
College Starter

Have you looked at the Harmony Smart Control/Hub? Usually about $100 on amazon.

Harmony Smart Control - Remote for iPad, iPhone & Android - Logitech

It controls PS3 so would imagine it will eventually control PS4 if thats at all possible. I love it, I tend to use the (wonderfully simple) remote for general things but we use our phones/tablets as well (mainly when surfing, favorites, etc.).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Ok, so I'm at that point where as much as I tried to avoid it, I can't get everything working on my Direct TV remote.

Here's my basic setup:

Samsung TV (I doubt model matters)
Samsung HW-FM45C Soundbar
PlayStation 4
DirectTV

Everything works on the DirectTV remote, minus I can't control the power or source (switching sources) function on the soundbar. My other issue is that I obviously cannot control the PS4 (for Netflix for instance) with any of the remotes I have, minus the actual PS4 controller.

Is there a controller yet that will function with the PS4 and all of the above? I'd love to order one, but it's tough to know its functionality, precisely, before it gets here!

PS4 does not accept IR remotes, so the only way to have a remote communicate with the PS4 is if you have a HDMI-CEC enabled TV. Here's a decent article on it if you want to read up on it. I have a TV with HDMI-CEC hooked to my PS4. Never have tried to send codes from TV to PS4, but I do have it set up so that when I hit my PS4 button to turn on the console, both the TV and console are turned on.

How to get TV remotes to work with the PS4 | Polygon
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I'll give this a try tonight/tomorrow. I wonder if the same TV functionality/option can be done with a remote that's NOT the actual TV remote.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
PS4 does not accept IR remotes, so the only way to have a remote communicate with the PS4 is if you have a HDMI-CEC enabled TV. Here's a decent article on it if you want to read up on it. I have a TV with HDMI-CEC hooked to my PS4. Never have tried to send codes from TV to PS4, but I do have it set up so that when I hit my PS4 button to turn on the console, both the TV and console are turned on.

How to get TV remotes to work with the PS4 | Polygon

I bought my first widescreen the day I bought the PS3, so while it's been a great TV, it's easily 8 years old already. I'm assuming this function is newer than that?

Might need to go the route of that Harmony device?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Have you looked at the Harmony Smart Control/Hub? Usually about $100 on amazon.

Harmony Smart Control - Remote for iPad, iPhone & Android - Logitech

It controls PS3 so would imagine it will eventually control PS4 if thats at all possible. I love it, I tend to use the (wonderfully simple) remote for general things but we use our phones/tablets as well (mainly when surfing, favorites, etc.).

Is there an app out there that handles this WITHOUT needing an additional device? I know a lot of these apps exist, but one that's all encompassing would be terrific...especially at no cost!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Is there an app out there that handles this WITHOUT needing an additional device? I know a lot of these apps exist, but one that's all encompassing would be terrific...especially at no cost!
Yeah, I think you'd be looking at an "app-aggregator" for the individual devices. Not sure that exists since those apps are what I call "disposable development" so it would seem unlikely to be a supportable app to undertake without some commitments from electronics companies (read: they never commit to anything longer than a month).

You can get just the "Hub" part of it (i.e. without the remote) but it doesnt seem plausible to not need any sort of Hub-like device as different devices use different signalling mechanisms. And don't rely on HDMI-CEC, it doesn't ever support full capabilities unless you have all 1 brand (and for PS3 or 4, better be Sony and even then I'd be skeptical that everything really works without making you go back to the DirecTV remote/PS remote).

The way that Harmony hub works is its a (very) small hub that connects to your home wifi network. This is how you communicate to the Hub via your smartphone or tablet. The Hub then communicates with your devices via IR (like your TV, AV receiver, DirecTV receiver, etc.) or via Bluetooth (like PS3, presumably will support PS4 if it doesnt already).

I have to say its pretty cool and my family loves it as well. Took me less than an hour to setup everything (though I have a good understanding of these things from my day job).
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
I have to say its pretty cool and my family loves it as well. Took me less than an hour to setup everything (though I have a good understanding of these things from my day job).

You're saying you setup the Harmony device? Sorry, just double checking that's what you were talking about versus some rigged remote setup lol.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
You're saying you setup the Harmony device? Sorry, just double checking that's what you were talking about versus some rigged remote setup lol.

Thanks everyone!
Yep...initial setup is to connect the hub to your computer so you can configure the wifi network/login info. From there, you can download the app to your phone/tablet & perform the individual device (TV, soundbar if applicable) config. It walks you thru it, you dont need remote codes & all that, the hub "knows" them and keeps trying new ones until you confirm it worked.

Does your soundbar have IR control? Or does it only work manually? Couldnt really tell on the product description I read (other than HDMI-CEC with a Samsung TV).
Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Yep...initial setup is to connect the hub to your computer so you can configure the wifi network/login info. From there, you can download the app to your phone/tablet & perform the individual device (TV, soundbar if applicable) config. It walks you thru it, you dont need remote codes & all that, the hub "knows" them and keeps trying new ones until you confirm it worked.

Does your soundbar have IR control? Or does it only work manually? Couldnt really tell on the product description I read (other than HDMI-CEC with a Samsung TV).

Yeah, it works with an IR remote.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I bought my first widescreen the day I bought the PS3, so while it's been a great TV, it's easily 8 years old already. I'm assuming this function is newer than that?

Might need to go the route of that Harmony device?

Yes, it's newer than that. The good news is that the PS4 actually handles all the HDMI-CEC connections pretty well. I've run it through the paces on three different TV's in my house and all have worked well.

Obviously doesn't help with your current TV, but definitely something you want to look at should you decide to upgrade at some point.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote