Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What are your 4 most intriguing first round match ups

Title self explanatory. Thought it may make for interesting discussion.

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Vandy-Richmond
Kentucky-Princeton
USC-VCU (First 4 round technically)
Xavier-Marquette
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Belmont vs Wisconsin

Belmont is a very solid #14 seed and this is going to be a close game.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

East: #8 George Mason vs #9 Villanova -- I like the contrast between the power conference team that is struggling and the very good/deserving "mid-major" in the opening round. I'm not crazy about playing either of these teams, if they get hot, if I am Ohio State.

West: #6 Cincy vs #11 Missouri -- This feels more like an 8/9 game to me. Missouri plays such an unorthodox/uncommon style, that I think they could be more trouble for non-Big 12 teams (that are used to playing them) and Cincy sure doesn't feel like a 6 to me.

Southeast: #7 Michigan State vs #10 UCLA -- Two of the bigger names in college basketball. Big Ten vs Pac Ten is always a cool match up. Plus, if you are in this bracket, you have to be terrified that Michigan State puts it all together (regardless of how highly seeded you are).

East: #4 Kentucky vs #12 Princeton -- I was looking for the highest rated team I could see getting popped in the first round, and this (along with UConn vs Bucknell) looked like a good choice to me. Should be an interesting concept to see a (presumably -- I honestly have not seen them play this year) disciplined, veteran team play against the brash, young team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Belmont vs Wisconsin

Belmont is a very solid #14 seed and this is going to be a close game.

This one is on my list for sure. I am no expert on Belmont but I remember watching their conference tourny final and the announcers were saying how good of a scoring team they are.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Belmont/Wisconsin - Belmont is the last mid-major I'd want to see in this tournament

Cincy/Missouri - Missouri isn't great, but underseeded. I think Cincy is the better team but should be an interesting contrast of styles.

Michigan/Tenn - Overachieving team versus underachieving team.

ODU/Butler - Just a great 1st round matchup.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This one is on my list for sure. I am no expert on Belmont but I remember watching their conference tourny final and the announcers were saying how good of a scoring team they are.

in their conference....

but yes this will be a good game possibly. a semi pressing team who lives on turnovers against an experienced badger team that doesn't turn it over.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh hell, I can't believe I left Bel-Wis off my list. I've got Belmont going over in that one, I guess I just overlooked it here because it was one of the easier picks in my bracket to make, most of the ones I mentioned caused me to pause considerably.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see the Belmont upset that everyone is talking about. I've seen them play one game and the fact that they play so many people I think is a negative. Is everyone taking Belmont because everyone else is saying that, including on TV (before the brackets were even announced)? Has anybody actually seen Belmont play more than once??

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Belmont is pretty well liked by the computers. Pomeroy has them at #19, the highest of the schools from non-FBS conferences.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
East: #8 George Mason vs #9 Villanova -- I like the contrast between the power conference team that is struggling and the very good/deserving "mid-major" in the opening round. I'm not crazy about playing either of these teams, if they get hot, if I am Ohio State.

If I'm Ohio State I'm especially concerned that Gus Johnson is calling my regional and therefore my second round game (shoot, maybe even my first round) is virtually guaranteed to come down to the last shot.

Given that almost every Marquette game comes down to the last possession AND Gus Johnson is calling that game, can I get odds on Marquette-Xavier being a buzzer beater? What, +120 maybe?

Last edited by LloydLungs : 03-13-2011 at 10:21 PM.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Also Wis is not a team that is going to blow anyone out. So you have a team that doesn't score vs. a team that can score.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Has anybody actually seen Belmont play more than once??

Maybe they've seen Wisconsin play recently