Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
NewIdentity
High School JV

Netflix comes to the Wii.

Funny, I didn't even know my Wii could play regular DVDs, now I can use it to and watch Movies?

Shelly Palmer: Netflix Bringing Watch Instantly to Nintendo Wii: MediaBytes with Shelly Palmer October 30, 2009

Quote:
Netflix Bringing Watch Instantly to Nintendo Wii: MediaBytes with Shelly Palmer October 30, 2009

Netflix wll begin offering its Watch Instantly service through Nintendo's Wii. While rumors have been circulating, especially after Netflix reached a deal with Sony to include Watch Instantly with the PS3, sources say the Wii could be packaged with the service before the holiday shopping season begins. Making Watch Instantly available on all three major gaming consoles could not only help Netflix increase subscribers, but it may also give consumers more content, as Netflix is constantly working on increasing the amount of content on its instant streaming service.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shelly-palmer/netflix-bringing-watch-in_b_339759.html&cp
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 01-15-2010 at 04:27 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
NewIdentity
High School JV

And in 2010 Netflix will be allowing custormer to do away with the DVD all together and offering Stream only plans.

Netflix CEO: we'll offer streaming-only plan by 2010 - Ars Technica
Quote:
Netflix CEO: we'll offer streaming-only plan by 2010

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings expects the company to offer streaming-only subscription plans by 2010, as the company prepares itself for an expected transition away from physical DVD media.
By Chris Foresman | Last updated February 23, 2009 9:15 AM C

Netflix appears to be one company that sees the on-demand content-distribution-model writing on the wall. In a bid to remain relevant in a world of broadband connections and instant gratification, the company is likely to offer a subscription option that skips DVDs entirely, and allows access to its "Watch Instantly" on-demand streaming videos by 2010. "We've got one singular objective, which is 'Be successful in streaming,'" Netflix CEO Reed Hastings
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 11-06-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
Funny, I didn't even know my Wii could play regular DVDS

it can't
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

If they go DVD-less, I may end up cancelling then. While Watch Now is cool and everything, I really don't want to have to rely on an Internet connection to watch movies on my TV via PS3.

Plus, there's just something fun about the DVD mailing process.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
If they go DVD-less, I may end up cancelling then. While Watch Now is cool and everything, I really don't want to have to rely on an Internet connection to watch movies on my TV via PS3.

New Identity's take on that article was highly misleading. Nowhere in that article did that exec say that the DVD option would be phased out. He just said there would be a streaming only subscription added, which is currently not an option. They would use that streaming option as a 'gateway drug' of sorts while keeping all of the releases in the last 1-2 years as disc only rentals. Netflix just held their 3rd quarter conference call for 2009 and announced that they plan on continuing to ship DVD's through 2030.

Blu-ray.com - A Million BD Subscribers for Netflix; Disc Rentals Expected for 20+ More Years

Quote:
Hastings said he was "struck" by the fact that they expected Netflix's postal expense to be approximately $600 million and growing, as disc shipments increase with no flattening in sight - in 2011 postal expense is expected to be over $700 million.

Netflix has just spent $40 million for rental return machines that can accept the returning DVDs, open them, clean them, inspect them, and prepare them for reshipment. These machines will be installed over the next 18 months, with a view to saving money and improving service quality. Hastings said that this investment makes financial sense "because our DVD shipment volume is still growing and we expect to be renting DVDs until 2030."

It would make absolutely zero sense to stop renting DVD's. They're the industry standard and they're dirt-cheap to make, rent, and replace. Not only that, but even with the Blu-ray players gaining market share, you still have the option to watch upconverted DVD's on all Blu-ray players. While DVD players will likely fall away in favor of Blu-ray players, DVD disc sales will have a good chunk of unit sales for the next 8-10 years at a minimum.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-06-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:

And going DVD-less will probably push me to sign back up. Happy to see DVDs going the way of the laserdisc.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Yeah, it makes a ton of sense to offer a streaming only option, so some customers can save a few bucks, and Netflix doesn't have to worry about them possessing their DVDs.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

So, if you have Netflix streaming on your XBox 360, can you also set it up on the Wii? Or do you have to have multiple accounts to stream on multiple platforms?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, if you have Netflix streaming on your XBox 360, can you also set it up on the Wii? Or do you have to have multiple accounts to stream on multiple platforms?

One account is all that is needed for all platforms (Wii, 360, PS3, Blu-ray Player, Bravia TV, PC, etc.)
Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Is there a charge for 'online content' for the Wii, like there is for the X-BOX?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Is there a charge for 'online content' for the Wii, like there is for the X-BOX?

No. The 360 is the only one with a subscription-based online format.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
One account is all that is needed for all platforms (Wii, 360, PS3, Blu-ray Player, Bravia TV, PC, etc.)

I think you can have 6 devices to each subscription.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This actually isn't confirmed, nor are there any dates where this is effective.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Plus this article is a week old.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This actually isn't confirmed, nor are there any dates where this is effective.

There's no real reason to think it isn't going to happen. The true lynch-pin has always been the exclusive agreement with Microsoft. Now that they've gone around that with the PS3, streaming to the Wii would be a no-brainer.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

sure.

But who knows when this is actually going to be effective. I was actually pumped that I could maybe watch Oldboy on instant watch on my TV tonight.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So is this something that is likely to happen soon? Or should I plop down 79 bucks to get one of those "you can watch netflix on your TV" boxes?

(And, yes, I know that the answer here is to just spend a little more than $79.00 and get a PS3 or an XBox. Humor me here. I have no desire to spend "a little more" for a video game system when I already have one (Wii) that I like a lot. My real question here is whether anyone knows if this is likely to happen in weeks or months or years or not at all.)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So is this something that is likely to happen soon? Or should I plop down 79 bucks to get one of those "you can watch netflix on your TV" boxes?

(And, yes, I know that the answer here is to just spend a little more than $79.00 and get a PS3 or an XBox. Humor me here. I have no desire to spend "a little more" for a video game system when I already have one (Wii) that I like a lot. My real question here is whether anyone knows if this is likely to happen in weeks or months or years or not at all.)
You know, if you spend an extra $20.00 you can get a combo Netflix/Blueray player instead. I think it is made by Insignia.

I read a blurb about how Nintendo may pass on this as it would be another selling feature for the next generation Wii that is coming out next summer.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 11-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Announcement today.

Quote:
NEW YORK – It's a triple crown for Netflix. Beginning in the spring, the Wii will become the last of the three current video game consoles to get instant viewing of Netflix movies and TV shows over the Internet.

Wii owners who have a broadband connection and a Netflix subscription that costs at least $9 a month will be able to watch those programs with no extra charge.

Nintendo Co. and Netflix Inc., which wouldn't give an exact launch date for the service, were set to announce the deal on Wednesday.

To watch flicks through the gaming system, Wii users will need a special "instant-streaming" disc that Netflix will mail out in the spring. They will then be able to use the Wii's motion controller to navigate through their Netflix account and pick what they want to watch. This setup is similar to the way Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 currently streams Netflix programs.

Owners of Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 can also stream Netflix, but the service is only available to Xbox Live "Gold" members, who pay $50 a year mainly to play games online.

The Wii is a great catch for Netflix because it gives it access to the living rooms of millions of potential new subscribers. It is easily the most popular gaming console in the U.S. with 26 million sold in the country through December, according to Nintendo.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has long said his company's goal is to offer movie streaming on as many devices as possible, including all three gaming consoles. Letting subscribers watch movies over the Internet is an increasingly important service for Netflix, which is based in Los Gatos, Calif., even though the company says it expects to keep renting DVDs for another couple of decades.

Part of the reason for that is because it'll take some time for movies to become available for streaming. The company has about 17,000 movies and TV shows available for Internet watching, compared with more than 100,000 DVD titles it rents out.

In another sign of its commitment to streaming, Netflix said last week it will delay sending out Warner Bros.' latest movies by nearly a month so it can get rights to show its subscribers more movies over the Internet.

In addition to the three gaming systems, Netflix streaming is already available on devices such as the Roku digital video player, along with some Blu-ray players and Internet-connected TV sets. It's also available on computers.

But consoles represent an important entry point into millions of homes because so many people already own them. And offering service through the systems will likely also prompt existing Netflix subscribers who haven't tried streaming over the Internet to do so.

Hastings called the Nintendo deal a "big step forward" in advancing its streaming service.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, said the company's first priority is always gaming, but it also wants to "continue to surprise our customers" by offering other activities.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I guess the question I'd ask is, what's the quality going to be like? Most people can already stream through 360/PS3 or a variety of other boxes (Roku, some DVD players, some TV's, etc). With the non-HD output of the Wii, would anybody actually do it? My Wii looks like crap on my 52" HDTV (which is fine, I expect it, and it's not like I'm playing the games for graphics), and I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out for the component cables for it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I guess the question I'd ask is, what's the quality going to be like? Most people can already stream through 360/PS3 or a variety of other boxes (Roku, some DVD players, some TV's, etc). With the non-HD output of the Wii, would anybody actually do it? My Wii looks like crap on my 52" HDTV (which is fine, I expect it, and it's not like I'm playing the games for graphics), and I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out for the component cables for it.

/tk

The Wii outputs in 480p, which is standard DVD quality these days (up from the original 480i for DVD output).
Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
cschex
High School Varsity

This is great for someone like me, who has a Wii and a moderate size TV (32 in) and doesnt like going through the hassle of connecting/disconnecting the laptop to the TV. Very excited about this.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #23
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
This is great for someone like me, who has a Wii and a moderate size TV (32 in) and doesnt like going through the hassle of connecting/disconnecting the laptop to the TV. Very excited about this.

Yep, I'm not a movie person, but I like that this is available to me.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

/tk

Go buy some for like 8 bucks shipped on monoprice.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #25
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:

/tk

I doubt most people have the 7+ Mbs internet speed required to get full quality HD quality streams anyway... Most people probably don''t even max out SD quality (3Mbps).

My Wii looks just fine on my 720p projector at 80+" using the component cables.

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-13-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #26
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I doubt most people have the 7+ Mbs internet speed required to get full quality HD quality streams anyway...
What are you still on Dial up or something?

I think 8Mbs is as slow as you can get nowdays with 12Mbs being the standard for where I live.

***I am assuming you are talking strickly about download speeds here.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 01-14-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #27
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
What are you still on Dial up or something?

I think 8Mbs is as slow as you can get nowdays with 12Mbs being the standard for where I live.

***I am assuming you are talking strickly about download speeds here.

Most DSL around here isn't close to that.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #28
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Most DSL around here isn't close to that.

These days if you are in metropolitan areas usually you are able to get anywhere from 20 to 80 Mbps for fairly affordable prices. Even default users in those areas often end up with 8-10 Mbps connections.

If you aren't in the population centers, then you won't likely have fiber running to your streets, and in some cases might even be too far from the CO for decent speed DSL and could be still limited to as poor as 128 or 256kbps connections, or even in some cases still dialup only.

I don't know what the actual numbers are for broadband availability these days, but I am guessing that high speed broadband is now available to over half of the U.S., but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone that can get it does have it.

I think both Daimyo and New Identity's comments were a little too broad-sweeping.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
My Wii looks just fine on my 720p projector at 80+" using the component cables.

I misread the above as.....

Quote:
My Wife looks just fine on my 720p projector at 80+" using the component cables.

I was all ready to type up questions about secret sex tapes until I reread the post.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

+1. This will bring us from watching Netflix streaming on a less-than-ideal laptop screen to on the TV.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #31
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
These days if you are in metropolitan areas usually you are able to get anywhere from 20 to 80 Mbps for fairly affordable prices. Even default users in those areas often end up with 8-10 Mbps connections.

If you aren't in the population centers, then you won't likely have fiber running to your streets, and in some cases might even be too far from the CO for decent speed DSL and could be still limited to as poor as 128 or 256kbps connections, or even in some cases still dialup only.

I don't know what the actual numbers are for broadband availability these days, but I am guessing that high speed broadband is now available to over half of the U.S., but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone that can get it does have it.

I think both Daimyo and New Identity's comments were a little too broad-sweeping.

I live in a major population center and up until recently I had the option of 1.5Mbps DSL (with actual speeds <1Mbps) or 6Mbps Cable (with actual speeds <3Mbps). We now have Uverse available which tops out at 18Mbs for $65/month (I'm getting that installed today, woot!). Most of my coworkers in the Chicago city limits don't even have the option of uverse yet.

I check Verizon Fios and it tops out 50 Mbps (at a cost of $140!) and isn't available in most places. The most reasonable plan is 15Mbs for $50 which puts it out of most people's price range.

I think you overestimate the availability of high speed broadband. 80 million people in the US have broadband right now and I bet the vast majority have connections less than 1.5 Mbps.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #32
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I live in a major population center and up until recently I had the option of 1.5Mbps DSL (with actual speeds <1Mbps) or 6Mbps Cable (with actual speeds <3Mbps). We now have Uverse available which tops out at 18Mbs for $65/month (I'm getting that installed today, woot!). Most of my coworkers in the Chicago city limits don't even have the option of uverse yet.

I check Verizon Fios and it tops out 50 Mbps (at a cost of $140!) and isn't available in most places. The most reasonable plan is 15Mbs for $50 which puts it out of most people's price range.

I think you overestimate the availability of high speed broadband. 80 million people in the US have broadband right now and I bet the vast majority have connections less than 1.5 Mbps.

Based on the reports from ATT, Verizon, Comcast, Charter, etc I think your experience or co-workers experiences are not necessarily the end all fact on this. A City like Chicago is a pretty large area, so obviously there are going to be different availability in different parts of the town.

As for your other comments, you basically were repeating my point. Even though major metropolitan areas generally have much higher bandwidth availability the majority of the country doesn't. Without making this pretty boring,

I'm guessing though that most of the users who have dialup still aren't really the targeted audience for the Netflix streaming online.

Last edited by Alan T : 01-14-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

I didn't know if anyone else had mentioned this elsewhere, but they finally shipped the disc for this about 2 weeks ago. So now I have Netflix on my XBox 360 in my main room, and on the Wii in my oldest son's room. Seems to work fine over wireless.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #34
cschex
High School Varsity

This is probably a stupid question, but does the streaming disc count against your # out-at-a-time limit, or is it in addition to those?
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #35
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This is probably a stupid question, but does the streaming disc count against your # out-at-a-time limit, or is it in addition to those?

It doesn't for the PS3, so I highly highly doubt it does for the Wii, and for the x-box you don't even need a disc.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #36
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Question on Netflix on the Wii- does it have just your instant Queue or does it also have all the other stuff that the xbox has like the newly added and different lists of movies.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Question on Netflix on the Wii- does it have just your instant Queue or does it also have all the other stuff that the xbox has like the newly added and different lists of movies.

The PS3 version has the instant queue and also has tabs where you can browse the other movies by genre and by newly added. I would assume the Wii has the same since it's the same setup.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So if I have a Wii how do I activat this? I went to the Netflix website but didnt see anything on there. I saw the XBox stuff but nothing about the Wii.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So if I have a Wii how do I activat this? I went to the Netflix website but didnt see anything on there. I saw the XBox stuff but nothing about the Wii.

Wii Streaming Disc Link

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-02-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #41
JeeberD
General Manager

The only thing I don't like is that you can't seem to search by title. Other than that, it's great...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #42
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
The only thing I don't like is that you can't seem to search by title. Other than that, it's great...

So you already have the streaming for the Wii or with some other system?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

PS3 and Wii have the same interface. You have to page through movies by category.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #44
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

For the Wii...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #45
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

I dont think it would for any system. I actually use Netflix on my Blu Ray player only and it has no bearing on the discs I have out at any time. It has 2 separate que tabs...1 for discs, 1 for streaming.

Keep in mind though(for those that aren't familiar with Netflix)...the titles available on disc are not always (or overly often) the same that are available via streaming. Meaning, there are less available via streaming than disc.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #46
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
For the Wii...

I cancelled my netflix membership I while back but got the wii and am interested in the streaming on wii from Netflix. How is the resolution from the wii to the tv for streaming from netflix. I am speaking not even on High Definition just standard is it as good a s DVD, like a tv show quality or less?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #47
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You know, if you spend an extra $20.00 you can get a combo Netflix/Blueray player instead. I think it is made by Insignia.

Just looked this up since the Roku player was mentioned in another thread. From what I can tell, Insignia sells it for $179.99.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #48
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

LOL I agree! I feel a real sense of accomplishment when I finish my DVD, seal it up and file it in the mailbox.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
LOL I agree! I feel a real sense of accomplishment when I finish my DVD, seal it up and file it in the mailbox.

I like the excitement of going to the mailbox and seeing that familiar red envelope.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #50
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I cancelled my netflix membership I while back but got the wii and am interested in the streaming on wii from Netflix. How is the resolution from the wii to the tv for streaming from netflix. I am speaking not even on High Definition just standard is it as good a s DVD, like a tv show quality or less?

Depends on your bandwidth. On the couple of times I have popped into my son's room to check it out, I can't tell the difference between it and satellite.

And to those that have asked, no it does not count as a disc out. For the Wii, it's a disc that is yours to keep, because you have to load it every time you want to use Netflix.