Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Mike Price took the wrong Alabama job..

'Out of control' Ala. St. used strippers, changed grades:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...bama_state_ap/

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) -- Alabama State's internal investigation revealed an "almost totally out of control" football program that used ineligible players, changed athletes' grades and entertained recruits with strippers, athletic director Richard Cosby said Tuesday.

The university submitted its findings to the NCAA and Southwestern Athletic Conference on Tuesday, Cosby said. He declined to reveal the specifics of the report but indicated Alabama State will have to forfeit "a substantial number of games" and faces penalties and stiff fines.

"It is an understatement to say that the investigation revealed, and the report reflects, a football program almost totally out of control," Cosby said in a statement.

Cosby would not elaborate on the findings or comment on whether action could be taken against head coach L.C. Cole.

"That's all we're going to release at this time," he told The Associated Press. "This is all we're going to deal with right now.

"That's what I've been advised to do and that's all we're going to do."

Cole and assistant coaches Richard Freeman and Johnny Cole, the head coach's brother, were informed of the specific charges on Monday.

"It's really kind of a shock to me, because I'm not a compliance officer," the head coach said. "I'm just a football coach. Whoever they certify to participate, that's who I put on the field.

"Going on my fourth year here, it's a shock to me all this stuff has taken place right up under my nose and I didn't know," Cole said.

Asked if he felt his job was in jeopardy, he said, "No, because I don't feel like I've done anything wrong at this point."

The university has declared five Alabama State players ineligible for not meeting with a consultant regarding the investigation into the football program.

The probe began seven months ago, after former assistant coach Dedrick Bell sent university officials a letter containing numerous alleged NCAA rules violations including recruiting violations, misusing funds and playing ineligible players.

"This administration is determined to completely remedy each and every act of misfeasance or malfeasance or nonfeasance revealed by the investigation," Cosby said. "And we are dedicated to the development of a squeaky clean, totally wholesome football program which is respectful of all rules, bylaws and regulations, and which is completely free of even a hint of impropriety."

Neither SWAC Commissioner Robert Vowels Jr. nor NCAA officials immediately returned calls seeking comment.

Attorney Julian McPhillips, representing the Coles, said they didn't know anything about student hosts taking recruits to see strippers and said another allegation involved contact with recruits who happened to be at a restaurant where the team stopped for dinner on the way to a game.

He said the university didn't submit any of the allegations in writing.

"It's just been a witch hunt from the beginning, digging things up 10 feet deep that are really nothing and blowing them up and making them look like something's wrong," McPhillips said.

"They're really stretching it big-time."

ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
Easy Mac

Dammit, fucking whities always trying to keep down the black man.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It was "almost" totally out of control. Price would have allowed them to drop the "almost."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

This is probably more prevelant than anyone cares to admit.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
Ksyrup

Everyone uses strippers as entertainment. You can't tell me that you haven't thought about having strippers over to entertain your guests...

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-23-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Everyone uses strippers as entertainment. You can't tell me that you haven't thought about having strippers over to entertain your guests...

Actually, I don't think I've ever considered having strippers over to entertain my guests.

Now to entertain the host ... well, that's a different subject
Old 07-23-2003, 11:21 AM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

They were only 6-6 last year, too. If you're gonna cheat, at least know how to do it right.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:26 AM   #8
Ksyrup

The idea was solid, but the execution was off. Instead of having strippers for the great prospects, they apparently only had them for the average ones.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

But it's Alabama State, so the great prospects wouldn't even show up

And shouldn't the coach know about these things?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
And shouldn't the coach know about these things?

Seeing as though I'm sitting in downtown Tallahassee, my unequivocal answer is 'No!'