Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2003, 12:42 AM   #1
Craptacular
College Starter

Used cars (VW Passat or the like)

I've been looking to upgrade from my fabulous 1992 Plymouth Sundance for a while now. Hopefully, the process will not be expedited by my car floor falling out, as we're trying to wait until we have our house later this year.

Of course, I've wanted a sporty coupe (Mitsu Eclipse, Toyota Celica), but my wife wants a 4-door. We're in agreement that we'll probably get an Outback Wagon or something similar when we get rid of her current car. Anyway, we've finally narrowed it down to two options. Get an older car for <$5000 just to hold me over for a few more years, or look at a new or newer used car that will still have some value in 5 years. We're probably looking at a top price of $25K for new or $20K for a newer used car.

After a bit of searching, I've focused on a 2001.5 VW Passat GLS 1.8T Sedan. I've had a hard time finding any negative professional or personal reviews for this car. However, I'm open to seeing what you guys would recommend.

My requirements:
* <$25K new, $20K used
* decent power (for reference, the 4-cylinder 1.8T has 170 hp)
* folding rear seat to accomodate our skis, etc.
* manual tranny strongly preferred, but not absolutely necessary

Other midsize sedans include the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Ford Taurus.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:44 AM   #2
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For whatever it's worth, I have a 2000 Golf GLS 1.8T and I can't think of a negative thing to say about it. In the three years that I've had it, I've treated it like utter shit, and it has responded with nothing but sweet purrs.

Generally, you'll probably pay a slight premium for a v-dub versus anything comparable in it's class, but that 'german engineering' is worth the price in my book. It may not be as noticeable in the mid-size sedans, but the Golf was the only 'economy' (how is 20K economy?) car I drove that felt actually comfortable to me....if you're over 5'10, it's something to consider. The pedals are smooth as silk, and the engine is quiet as a mouse considering the torque it puts out.

Also, if the 170hp aren't enough, you can get a performance chip installed for the 1.8T that will give you ~50 more HP for $500....it also removes the speed delimiter, for those times it's ABSOLUTELY necesary to go over 140mph.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:08 AM   #3
Airhog
Captain Obvious

My brother had a honda. it had 200k miles on it, and still ran really good.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:23 AM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

Sounds like reliability and longevity is an important factor for you. I'd go for either the Honda or Toyota. They have really good reputations in both areas.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:54 AM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Crappy,

We bought my wife a loaded Taurus from a small Ford dealer 2 years ago for under 25k and have been very happy with it. The car was factory built to our specifications, which was important for the interior/exterior color combo. I like the car because it is HUGE on the inside (good for the fat guy) and it has a sporty enough look. Downside: depricates quickly. No problems with it in two years.

Last edited by Fritz : 04-16-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:25 AM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Crap,

I can personally vouch for the 2001 Camry - we have one (an LE V-6) - it is a great family car. We love it, and I have nothing negative to say about it!

However, we just bought a used 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, and I'd strongly encourage you take a look (and definitely a test drive). It fits your parameters and is an absolute blast to drive. We got ours for $19,000.

Good luck.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 04-16-2003 at 08:26 AM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:42 AM   #7
Craptacular
College Starter

Sounds like I need to test drive pretty much every car in the class. I'll look anyway, but do the Camrys, Accords, etc., have a fold down rear seat? That is really important, as I'm not getting a ski rack, and I hate having to runs skis from the front passenger seat to the rear left.

As far as my general preferences, I'd still like something that's fun to drive. I've heard that cars like the Altima, Passat, and Mazda 6 have a little spunk in them, while the Camry and Accord are rather vanilla. Yes, they are very reliable, and great family cars, but I don't have any kids yet. I want something that's fun, but still has 4-doors, in case any little ones come our way.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
Craptacular
College Starter

Dola, if you read my first post, you see that I've driven a car with something like 88 hp forever, and can tell why I want something fun to drive for once.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #9
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Sounds like I need to test drive pretty much every car in the class. I'll look anyway, but do the Camrys, Accords, etc., have a fold down rear seat?

Yes they do. Accords are a bit tight compared to the Camry. I love my new Camry. The Passat is a much more "peppy" car though.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:38 PM   #10
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
As far as my general preferences, I'd still like something that's fun to drive. I've heard that cars like the Altima, Passat, and Mazda 6 have a little spunk in them, while the Camry and Accord are rather vanilla. Yes, they are very reliable, and great family cars, but I don't have any kids yet. I want something that's fun, but still has 4-doors, in case any little ones come our way.

Crap,

Oh PLEASE drive the Maxima first! You'll be like a kid in a candy store. I'd highly recommend the V-6 on both the Camry and the Maxima for added "fun." Our Camry can take care of business in the spunk department (friends are always like: "Geez! This has some spunk to it!"), but the Maxima is a blast.

By the way, Consumer Reports liked the Mazda6 but said it was still a click below the front pack.

FYI, both the Camry and the Maxima have fold down rear seats.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:45 PM   #11
FBPro
College Starter

I would agree but say that Toyota, Honda and Nissian are all 3 good bets, reliable, well made, etc.....can find some very reasonably priced as well.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:49 PM   #12
bbor
Pro Starter

I had a Honda that i bought used.I paid a premium for it because Honda's retain their value very well.But i gotta tell you...i could'nt kill the damn thing...the engines run for EVER.In the 7 years i had it....i only had to change the alternator....that was it.When i finally traded it in it was 10 years old and had 180 000 on it.

Still ran like a dream.

I have freinds that have driven Vw's....never heard any of them complain.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:00 PM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

I believe the Maxima will be getting a fresh overhaul next year and the price is expected to jump quite a bit (separating it further from the Altima). I have no idea how this would affect the value of the Maxima, maybe someone more up on things like that would know.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:13 PM   #14
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar

Oh PLEASE drive the Maxima first!

I really like what I've seen from Nissan, although I'd be more inclined to save some dough and go for the Altima. It may just come down to what happens to be available if we go the used route.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:15 PM   #15
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I believe the Maxima will be getting a fresh overhaul next year and the price is expected to jump quite a bit (separating it further from the Altima). I have no idea how this would affect the value of the Maxima, maybe someone more up on things like that would know.

Usually hurts the old model years. Not always. Another warning on the Maxima. I traded my Maxima on my Camry, mainly because it is more expensive to run. Maximas are solid cars, but they a) drink gas, b) are not as dependable as the other three mentioned (Accord, Camry, Passat; not a huge deference, but it is there), and the insurance is much higher.

A Maxima is actually considered in the class of the Avalon, not the Camry or Accord. The Altima is Nissan's direct competitor to the Camry (and those are nice cars, but they are much more cheaply made than the other two).
Old 04-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #16
GrantDawg

Quote:
I really like what I've seen from Nissan, although I'd be more inclined to save some dough and go for the Altima. It may just come down to what happens to be available if we go the used route.

You posted as I was. Read some owner response on the Altima. I had every intention on getting one, untill I read from multiple sources that the interior is very cheaply made and things tend to break off rather quickly.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
You posted as I was. Read some owner response on the Altima. I had every intention on getting one, untill I read from multiple sources that the interior is very cheaply made and things tend to break off rather quickly.

Yeah, shabby interior materials is the #1 con of the Altima according to Edmunds. If things are otherwise even, that may play a role in the decision, but it's not a major factor to me. If I had kids that liked to play with things, it might be a different story.