Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Ping:Kcchief-Si

You guys alright.. my neighborhood got torn up pretty bad.. playsets all over the streets and tree's. My House is thankfully undamaged.. but it appears like many weren't so lucky

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

We got hammered last night, but house appears to be OK. Lots of tree limbs flying around. I have no doubt that we were in that band of 80 MPH winds. I've been within a mile or so of a tornado before. The roar that I heard last night gave me flashbacks. That was a very dangerous storm.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Finally checking in ... busy couple of days mostly due to work but the storm didn't help. I'm right at 291 and Stark and the confirmed touch down of the tornado was about 750 feet from my house, although I think the tornado was probably wider than the National Weather Service thinks. I've seen more severe damage outside the "confirmed" path zone in my neighborhood than inside the zone.

Most of the shingles on the south side of our house are gone along with much of the west side and patches on the other sides. Got a couple of leeks in the living room and one in the master bedroom. Insurance is supposed to be out Monday, so I'm hoping for them to total the roof and replace the whole thing. I'm worried one of the leaks might me damage to a window. One of our garage doors won't close and I'm pretty sure that is from the tornado.

We're in North Hampton and Brookridge on the other side of 291 was where the real damage up here was, three houses total, lot of other damage. It was intense! I was pretty sure it was tornado the moment it happened -- all the telltale signs.

Pretty much anything that wasn't bolted down our neighborhood went mobile. My propane grill luckly only moved a couple of feet. There was a trampoline in the power lines on Stark, and the trampoline in our neighbor's yard plowed through their fence. A few trees uprooted, there's a street light bent at a 90 degree angle and a lot of limbs down. Most of the property damage in my neighborhood consisted of roofs and fences. One
house had their garage door mauled and the side garage wall taken out.

My neighbor's had some metal lawn furniture including a big swing. That thing wrapped itself around their deck and took out their floor-to-ceiling window too.

Rough night but thankfully we were better off than others and I'm glad no one was seriously hurt. Glad you guys are OK.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I Live fairly deep into the somerbrook subdivision.. and yea.. that house with the side wall taken out took the brunt of the storm i believe
for our sub division..

Scary part of it is. I drove home in the worst part of the storm i believe.. 1:45ish am Ford sent everyone home due to safety concerns. Yet tornado siren's weren't going off because apparently "Siren's are meant to warn people outside of impending tornado's"(That quotation was from someone at the kc weather service.. brilliant man has a career at fema i believe)

Last edited by Ragone : 05-04-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Finally checking in ... busy couple of days mostly due to work but the storm didn't help. I'm right at 291 and Stark and the confirmed touch down of the tornado was about 750 feet from my house, although I think the tornado was probably wider than the National Weather Service thinks. I've seen more severe damage outside the "confirmed" path zone in my neighborhood than inside the zone.

Most of the shingles on the south side of our house are gone along with much of the west side and patches on the other sides. Got a couple of leeks in the living room and one in the master bedroom. Insurance is supposed to be out Monday, so I'm hoping for them to total the roof and replace the whole thing. I'm worried one of the leaks might me damage to a window. One of our garage doors won't close and I'm pretty sure that is from the tornado.

We're in North Hampton and Brookridge on the other side of 291 was where the real damage up here was, three houses total, lot of other damage. It was intense! I was pretty sure it was tornado the moment it happened -- all the telltale signs.

Pretty much anything that wasn't bolted down our neighborhood went mobile. My propane grill luckly only moved a couple of feet. There was a trampoline in the power lines on Stark, and the trampoline in our neighbor's yard plowed through their fence. A few trees uprooted, there's a street light bent at a 90 degree angle and a lot of limbs down. Most of the property damage in my neighborhood consisted of roofs and fences. One
house had their garage door mauled and the side garage wall taken out.

My neighbor's had some metal lawn furniture including a big swing. That thing wrapped itself around their deck and took out their floor-to-ceiling window too.

Rough night but thankfully we were better off than others and I'm glad no one was seriously hurt. Glad you guys are OK.

I'm glad everyone seems to be okay. You're just five miles from my wife's parents. All they had was a very loud night.
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
I Live fairly deep into the somerbrook subdivision.. and yea.. that house with the side wall taken out took the brunt of the storm i believe
for our sub division..

Scary part of it is. I drove home in the worst part of the storm i believe.. 1:45ish am Ford sent everyone home due to safety concerns. Yet tornado siren's weren't going off because apparently "Siren's are meant to warn people outside of impending tornado's"(That quotation was from someone at the kc weather service.. brilliant man has a career at fema i believe)
Yeah, the NWS had a rough night -- they were too liberal issuing warnings between 7 and 9 when no tornadoes touchdown, then they missed the biggest storm of the night. I don't remember the exact time the storm hit. I think it was right around 2. I read that the weather station in Liberty recorded a 75 MPH gust at 1:59, so I would be surprised if that was it. It came in a hurry. They issued a severe thunderstorm warning at 2:07 and cancellled it at 2:14 when they realized it past. The storm was moving at 50 MPH and just snuck up on them.

Did you move to Somerbrook recently? Jeez, we're within walking distance of each other! We need to get together sometime. For some reason when we talked about getting together before, I thought you lived further south closer the the plant. Can't believe you were driving home then -- glad you're safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. View Post
I'm glad everyone seems to be okay. You're just five miles from my wife's parents. All they had was a very loud night.
Thank you, Jim. I knew you had mentioned Angela's parents lived here but didn't realize it was so close. Hope they are OK.

Definitely considering myself lucky. A lot of people were hit much worse than we were.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Did you move to Somerbrook recently? Jeez, we're within walking distance of each other! We need to get together sometime. For some reason when we talked about getting together before, I thought you lived further south closer the the plant. Can't believe you were driving home then -- glad you're safe.

I'm all for that when things calm down around here.. Course i'd have to explain to my wife about my football sim habit.. I got her to accept my fantasy football obsession at least (hell, she even watched the nfl draft with me this year heh)
Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI......I live next to the Shoal Creek Golf Course, so I'm only a couple of miles away from you guys.

Found out yesterday that two of my friends who live in Brookridge got hit. One of my friends lost his entire house to the tornado. The other friend had part of his roof taken off by the tornado, but was luckily a block away from getting a direct hit.

I still can't believe that the sirens didn't go off for this tornado. I was upstairs in my home as was my 1 year old baby during the whole thing. I won't be waiting for sirens next time. Ditto on the NWS guy's comment that the sirens are only meant to warn people outdoors. Moron.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

I hope SI checks in soon. I probably shouldn't worry too much since he hasn't visited since April 20, so his absence probably has nothing to do with this...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
Scarecrow
College Prospect

If I remember right, the main part of Lawrence didn't get hit hard - went north (Oskaloosa) and south (Ottawa) of the town.

I was on the phone with Ma and Pa Crow when they saw the one located a K32 and K7. Lifted up and went over their house.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FYI......I live next to the Shoal Creek Golf Course, so I'm only a couple of miles away from you guys.

Found out yesterday that two of my friends who live in Brookridge got hit. One of my friends lost his entire house to the tornado. The other friend had part of his roof taken off by the tornado, but was luckily a block away from getting a direct hit.

I still can't believe that the sirens didn't go off for this tornado. I was upstairs in my home as was my 1 year old baby during the whole thing. I won't be waiting for sirens next time. Ditto on the NWS guy's comment that the sirens are only meant to warn people outdoors. Moron.
Good grief, we ought to just head over to The Landing for a game or something! Which neighborhood are you in? Or are you on an acreage?

Glad you're safe ... I imagine that was scary with the baby involved. I think there is certainly some reason to question why the didn't issue a tornado warning. I think it was partly due to the flurry of warnings earlier that didn't muster any real tornadic activity, the timeframe (no spotters out at 2 am) and the isolated nature of the storm cell -- it literally swept across the in a matter of a maybe 15 minutes and was gone. That said, I would think any storm moving at 50 mph with bow echoes shoule have elicited at least a severe thunderstorm warning.

'Crow, I imagine you are right. I don't think Lawrence got hit too hard.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Good grief, we ought to just head over to The Landing for a game or something! Which neighborhood are you in? Or are you on an acreage?

I live in a subdivision called The Preserves on the NE corner of 152 Hwy and Shoal Creek Parkway.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The Estates, The Woods of The Cottages?

I worked for the local home builders association so I pretty much know all the builders over there and a couple of people who live over there. Nice place. I really like The Village at Shoal Creek but it's really struggled. They missed their price point at the start and got off to such a slow start it'll take a while before momentum builds. They are still a little high for what you get but I'm a big fan of traditional neighborhoods.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The Estates, The Woods of The Cottages?

I worked for the local home builders association so I pretty much know all the builders over there and a couple of people who live over there. Nice place. I really like The Village at Shoal Creek but it's really struggled. They missed their price point at the start and got off to such a slow start it'll take a while before momentum builds. They are still a little high for what you get but I'm a big fan of traditional neighborhoods.

I live in the woods. Builder was Dub Giltner.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
kcchief19
Pro Starter

You happy with it? Dub strikes me as a nice guy, and everyone around here seem to like him well.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 05-06-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #16
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I've had nothing but issues with Scott Kisner myself (he didn't build my home.. but all the ones around it)

they don't upkeep their vacant houses AT ALL.. lawns go 2-3 months without being mowed etc..
Old 05-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You happy with it? Dub strikes me as a nice guy, and everyone around here seem to like him well.

Great guy. We play golf and go out to eat quite a bit. If I have a problem with something at the house, he'll repair it free of charge if it was something his crew did wrong, even though the warranty expired over a year ago. He knows he'll get it back when I'm ready to finish my basement.

I do know that the economic downturn has hurt his business as it has all builders, but he's doing 3-4 of the rebuilds in the tornado-hit area, so that should keep him above water until the economy shifts back.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I hope SI checks in soon. I probably shouldn't worry too much since he hasn't visited since April 20, so his absence probably has nothing to do with this...

That was more of a couple of things piling on top of each other. Was in training in Boise for a week, then a big project that is taking a couple of weeks at work. And some fun personal life stuff- my wife and I are trying to decide whether to buy a house, move and change jobs, or both.

Lawrence wasn't really affected that time. There were 2 batches of storms, one early in the night and one around 1-3am. The rain was so far east that we got one little thunderstorm in the first set. But I had a fun time watching "tornado night" coverage as I always do since I'm a weather dork.

Then, in the second, we were under a tornado warning but the sirens never went off because Lawrence has a policy to only set off the sirens when there is a tornado sighted, rather than for every warning. You know it's a stormy state when you have a policy of "nah, don't worry about the warning- just tell us when one is plowing through the streets". I slept through that one.

I'm going to be a little disappointed if I leave Kansas without ever seeing a funnel cloud. That said, I realize that's a good thing- if you're close enough to see it, you're probably too close.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm going to be a little disappointed if I leave Kansas without ever seeing a funnel cloud. That said, I realize that's a good thing- if you're close enough to see it, you're probably too close.

SI

Just from personal experience, you don't want to see one in person. They're a lot more interesting to watch on TV when they're plowing through someone else's neighborhood and not heading toward your neighborhood.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #20
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I drove home with that funnel cloud in visual range si.. trust me, i'll trade places with you right now to forget that sight..