Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2004, 02:33 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

FOF1!

Having a little trouble sleeping, so I thought I'd finally get around to re-installing that FOF1 disk that I ran across a few weeks ago. Considering I could hardly remember the game, I thought it might be interesting. A few thoughts...

1. I definitely don't miss drop-down menus.

2. I DO miss those crazy spam e-mail:
Quote:
Do you love your country? Of course you do. Any good man loves
his country.

What better way for a man to show his love for his country than
by choosing the right after-shave lotion. It's the patriotic
thing to do.

Old Heralded Glory after-shave lotion is as American as the
Fourth of July. A little on each cheek, and you'll be singing
The Star-Spangled Banner as you fire up the barbecue for the
church picnic.

Using any other after-shave lotion would be un-American. In fact,
if you dare try anything else, we'll have you up on charges in
front of Congress.

You're not a traitor, are you? That's better. Go to the store, and
do your duty. Make your country proud, and buy Old Heralded Glory
after-shave lotion.
Quote:
I am a bad girl. I want you to watch me. I want your
children to watch me. I'm going to send you ten thousand
messages telling you to watch me.

I don't even have anything to do, but I want you to watch me
anyway. Then I want you to pay me money.

Then ten thousand of my friends will all send you ten thousand
messages so you can watch them, too.

They have nothing to do, either, except send you and your
children ten thousand obscene messages Every Day!

Isn't the free market wonderful? Love, Cynthia.

3. Did the NFLPA not care back then, or was FOF such a niche product that Jim just didn't worry about them finding out about it? (Real rosters on the disk.)

4. Most obvious interface improvement in the series: visual (red/green bar) scouting reports coming up on initial click of player's name. I forgot that this wasn't always the case:

5. An "improvement" that could just as well regress back to original FOF1 status: "Small College." This would make it easier to search for your SC8 draftees when doing a TCY import.

6. Biggest "obvious" change: 28-step free agency process as opposed to signing whomever you could afford.

7. 2nd-largest overhaul: the amateur draft. Remember trading away all your 1st-3rd round picks because you could get all the talent you needed in 4-7?

8. Don't this this has changed much at all, but then again I wouldn't be sure because I rarely use it: in-game scoreboard view.

9. WELCOME BACK FOR FOF5: The ability to click on all award-winners and view their player card!

10. Man this sucker runs fast on a modern computer! It really reminds me of the processor and memory limitations that developers were constrained by just 5 years ago.

11. Looking at the coaching/scouting screens reminded me of one of the best customer service moments I've ever seen. There was a hard-to-track-down and easy-to-avoid crash bug related to viewing coaches/scouts. (I can't remember all the details at the moment.) Jim must have exchanged 10-15 e-mails with me trying to hunt down and eliminate the issue. (Note that this was before The Sideline was up and running, so it can't be claimed that he did this for "publicity" reasons. I was *REALLY* impressed.)

12. I miss expansion. {Sigh}

13. Best addition via a patch: "Scout overview" screen was not in initial release, but added in one of the patches.

14. Worst change for those who don't like numbers: I'd forgotten that the franchise screen used to use color shading rather than numbers to show subtle differences:

15. Idea that should probably come back to help those new to the series: Current Task List, that can be toggled off once you're familiar with the game.

Quote:
The season is complete.

At any time now, you can select the End Season
option on the Franchise menu in order to set up
next season.

By doing so, you'll erase this season's statistics
and schedule.

Before you do this, you might be interested in looking
at this season's award winners, through the
Season Awards option on the Records menu.

Quote:
Use the commands on the Roster Menu to
evaluate and/or change your coaching and
scouting staffs.

Use the Stadium Proposal command to
create a plan for new stadium construction
or renovation.

Select a franchise player for your team
by viewing players using the Team
Roster command.

Use the Ticket Prices command to set
ticket prices for your stadium.

When you're ready for the free agency
period to begin, use the Begin Free
Agency Period command.

16. Something that I didn't realize wasn't in the first version: season-by-season stats. You could view career stats, and this season's stats only. (Baseball Mogul was the same way at the time, incidentally.)

Well, I'm finally getting sleepy again, so methinks I'll go back to bed.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:03 AM   #2
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I miss drop-down menus.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:53 AM   #3
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Thanks for the blast from the past, SkyDog.

Quote:
3. Did the NFLPA not care back then, or was FOF such a niche product that Jim just didn't worry about them finding out about it? (Real rosters on the disk.)

More the latter than the former. He correctly assumed that they wouldn't sic their dogs on him for a business with few assets and a game that would sell, at most, a few thousand copies. Recall that Baseball Mogul also had real names in their first version.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

Except for #1...ahem...I agree with about everything you said, and appreciate the memories. Thanks SD!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hmmm, 2 pt conversions were there, but it did take a patch to allow teams to use it after a score on the last play of a game...

Included in the Patch For Front Office Football v1.0

Gameplay Enhancements
1. Run block ratings added and implemented for fullbacks and tight ends.

2. Endurance ratings added and implemented for running backs.

3. Quarterbacks moved to proper opening day rosters.

4. Trading AI improved to increase the value of early round draft picks and eliminate the ability to include low-round picks on each side of a transaction in order to trade away a weak player.

5. The "backloading" check, which prevents the GM from using a balloon payment in the final year of a contract in order to increase the overall value of an offer, is re-ordered so that a player doesn't reject a contract that would be satisfactory even without the balloon year.

6. Button added to game log and box score lists, allowing the GM to reverse the order of the list to see the most recent games at the top.

7. Informational text added to the box seen when designating a franchise player to inform the GM that he/she needs to leave salary cap room available for the automatic signing to a one-year deal.

8. Increase the weight penalty for moving a player to another position. This prevents, for example, a series of moves giving you a decent wide receiver starting from a decent defensive lineman.

9. The AI has been altered for better fourth-down decisions in overtime and in the 6-to-2 minute period of the fourth quarter of a close game.

10. There are far fewer safeties on running plays deep in your own territory.

11. Players will no longer accept long-term contracts for close to the minimum salary. The maximum number of years for a contract gradually increases with the salary offered.

12. Instead of averaging the total number of picks, the game figures expected cap allotments for the amateur draft based on the actual picks. This applies to trading, contract offers and the AI for signing free agents.

13. Button added to the roster screen allowing the GM to toggle between viewing the list of players' colleges and salary demands/salary cap costs.

14. The roster screen now lists how far a GM is over the salary cap, in the event that automatic signings place the GM over the cap.

15. The AI now "gives up" when down 25+ points in the fourth quarter, and when down 31+ points in the third quarter. Teams that are ahead 25+ points now play far more conservatively. This prevents the 40-point fourth quarters occasionally seen when teams insisted on throwing long passes and going on fourth down even when the game was well out of reach.

16. The GM can no longer trade suspended players, seriously injured players or players on injured reserve.

17. The AI is less aggressive on 4th downs in the fourth quarter when the team is ahead or tied.

18. Quarterbacks no longer continue to develop a scramble rating after their sixth year in the league. The scramble percentages were reduced for the top half of scrambling quarterbacks.

19. The attendance is based a little more on fan loyalty. It is now more possible to fill a stadium consistently.

20. The threshold for replacing an ineffictive QB has been increased.

21. Future improvement assessments are now available for players with three years of experience.

22. A screen showing your scout's general assessment of your roster, along with print support, has been added.

Bug Fixes
1. A couple of exhibition games in 1998 were listed incorrectly.

2. Three players have the wrong experience levels, Rob Johnson was listed as "Rod".

3. If there's a fumble returned for a touchdown on a kick return, the next play no longer begins in the end zone, leading to a -120-yard scoring play.

4. When the quarterback is sacked and a resulting fumble is recovered by the offense, a first down is no longer credited.

5. Double-clicking on Arizona's first-round draft choice no longer results in a player with invalid attributes. Arizona's first-round pick is now valued properly in trades.

6. A team is no longer listed as the Front Office Bowl winner during the current season. The 1998 bowl winner no longer disappears from view in mid-season.

7. The first newly created player in the database no longer shares his player ID with Steve DeBerg, preventing DeBerg from appearing in a depth chart.

8. The luxury box limit was increased to 399, allowing renovations to the Dallas stadium.

9. The quarterback leaves the game, when replaced, before the first play of a series rather than the second play.

10. Moving a player to DT no longer results in a switch to DE.

11. If the GM trades for the current pick in the amateur draft, the scout no longer automatically makes the selection.

12. The GM no longer has to leave the amateur draft screen to continue the draft after trading away the current pick.

13. Yardage resulting from a quarterback's dive to avoid a safety is now reported and tracked correctly.

14. Scouts now age properly.

15. A blocked punt or field goal now lands in the proper place on the field.

16. A couple of typos were fixed in the task list.

17. The college names resource was altered to eliminate the fake college names, replacing them with Division III schools. The Citadel is now spelled properly.

18. There's now a kickoff and a kick return at the start of the first overtime.

19. The correct player is listed as recovering a blocked punt in the end zone.

20. A newly-drafted player no longer can have a list of player honors from 30 years in the past.

21. Salary offers are limited to 12 typed characters. Putting 0 in all fields no longer leads to crash.

22. GM can no longer negotiate with other team's unsigned players with less than five years of experience. Can no longer negotiate with free agents on another roster on their behalf, if starting from that team's roster screen.

23. Player ejections now refer to the correct player.

24. When the system date is set past 2041, which is as far as Windows can tell time, the program informs you of the problem rather than crashing.

25. An exhibition game in the fifth week of 2021 now lists the correct teams.

26. The expansion teams in the NC West and AC West are now in the correct positions on the team name editing screen.

27. A draw or scramble for touchdown now results in the correct yardage added to the totals. A fumble is no longer possible once the ball is in the end zone.

28. The game can no longer end on a defensive penalty.

29. A missed short-distance field goal no longer results in a blank play in the game log.

30. An exhibition game in the fifth week of games later than 2007 now lists the correct teams.

31. Missed field goals from inside the 20 now result in ball placement on the 20.

32. If there's a touchdown on the last play of the fourth quarter, the scoring team may try extra point/conversion if behind 1 or 2 points.

33. A possible crash scenario from exiting the coaches/scouts screen has been addressed.

34. The overall scout's evaluation is no longer set to zero when a player is released through an AI-controlled action.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Imagine the ability to add 8 teams to FOF2004?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
butterfingas29
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Hmmm, 2 pt conversions were there, but it did take a patch to allow teams to use it after a score on the last play of a game...

Included in the Patch For Front Office Football v1.0

Gameplay Enhancements
1. Run block ratings added and implemented for fullbacks and tight ends.

2. Endurance ratings added and implemented for running backs.

3. Quarterbacks moved to proper opening day rosters.

4. Trading AI improved to increase the value of early round draft picks and eliminate the ability to include low-round picks on each side of a transaction in order to trade away a weak player.

5. The "backloading" check, which prevents the GM from using a balloon payment in the final year of a contract in order to increase the overall value of an offer, is re-ordered so that a player doesn't reject a contract that would be satisfactory even without the balloon year.

6. Button added to game log and box score lists, allowing the GM to reverse the order of the list to see the most recent games at the top.

7. Informational text added to the box seen when designating a franchise player to inform the GM that he/she needs to leave salary cap room available for the automatic signing to a one-year deal.

8. Increase the weight penalty for moving a player to another position. This prevents, for example, a series of moves giving you a decent wide receiver starting from a decent defensive lineman.

9. The AI has been altered for better fourth-down decisions in overtime and in the 6-to-2 minute period of the fourth quarter of a close game.

10. There are far fewer safeties on running plays deep in your own territory.

11. Players will no longer accept long-term contracts for close to the minimum salary. The maximum number of years for a contract gradually increases with the salary offered.

12. Instead of averaging the total number of picks, the game figures expected cap allotments for the amateur draft based on the actual picks. This applies to trading, contract offers and the AI for signing free agents.

13. Button added to the roster screen allowing the GM to toggle between viewing the list of players' colleges and salary demands/salary cap costs.

14. The roster screen now lists how far a GM is over the salary cap, in the event that automatic signings place the GM over the cap.

15. The AI now "gives up" when down 25+ points in the fourth quarter, and when down 31+ points in the third quarter. Teams that are ahead 25+ points now play far more conservatively. This prevents the 40-point fourth quarters occasionally seen when teams insisted on throwing long passes and going on fourth down even when the game was well out of reach.

16. The GM can no longer trade suspended players, seriously injured players or players on injured reserve.

17. The AI is less aggressive on 4th downs in the fourth quarter when the team is ahead or tied.

18. Quarterbacks no longer continue to develop a scramble rating after their sixth year in the league. The scramble percentages were reduced for the top half of scrambling quarterbacks.

19. The attendance is based a little more on fan loyalty. It is now more possible to fill a stadium consistently.

20. The threshold for replacing an ineffictive QB has been increased.

21. Future improvement assessments are now available for players with three years of experience.

22. A screen showing your scout's general assessment of your roster, along with print support, has been added.

Bug Fixes
1. A couple of exhibition games in 1998 were listed incorrectly.

2. Three players have the wrong experience levels, Rob Johnson was listed as "Rod".

3. If there's a fumble returned for a touchdown on a kick return, the next play no longer begins in the end zone, leading to a -120-yard scoring play.

4. When the quarterback is sacked and a resulting fumble is recovered by the offense, a first down is no longer credited.

5. Double-clicking on Arizona's first-round draft choice no longer results in a player with invalid attributes. Arizona's first-round pick is now valued properly in trades.

6. A team is no longer listed as the Front Office Bowl winner during the current season. The 1998 bowl winner no longer disappears from view in mid-season.

7. The first newly created player in the database no longer shares his player ID with Steve DeBerg, preventing DeBerg from appearing in a depth chart.

8. The luxury box limit was increased to 399, allowing renovations to the Dallas stadium.

9. The quarterback leaves the game, when replaced, before the first play of a series rather than the second play.

10. Moving a player to DT no longer results in a switch to DE.

11. If the GM trades for the current pick in the amateur draft, the scout no longer automatically makes the selection.

12. The GM no longer has to leave the amateur draft screen to continue the draft after trading away the current pick.

13. Yardage resulting from a quarterback's dive to avoid a safety is now reported and tracked correctly.

14. Scouts now age properly.

15. A blocked punt or field goal now lands in the proper place on the field.

16. A couple of typos were fixed in the task list.

17. The college names resource was altered to eliminate the fake college names, replacing them with Division III schools. The Citadel is now spelled properly.

18. There's now a kickoff and a kick return at the start of the first overtime.

19. The correct player is listed as recovering a blocked punt in the end zone.

20. A newly-drafted player no longer can have a list of player honors from 30 years in the past.

21. Salary offers are limited to 12 typed characters. Putting 0 in all fields no longer leads to crash.

22. GM can no longer negotiate with other team's unsigned players with less than five years of experience. Can no longer negotiate with free agents on another roster on their behalf, if starting from that team's roster screen.

23. Player ejections now refer to the correct player.

24. When the system date is set past 2041, which is as far as Windows can tell time, the program informs you of the problem rather than crashing.

25. An exhibition game in the fifth week of 2021 now lists the correct teams.

26. The expansion teams in the NC West and AC West are now in the correct positions on the team name editing screen.

27. A draw or scramble for touchdown now results in the correct yardage added to the totals. A fumble is no longer possible once the ball is in the end zone.

28. The game can no longer end on a defensive penalty.

29. A missed short-distance field goal no longer results in a blank play in the game log.

30. An exhibition game in the fifth week of games later than 2007 now lists the correct teams.

31. Missed field goals from inside the 20 now result in ball placement on the 20.

32. If there's a touchdown on the last play of the fourth quarter, the scoring team may try extra point/conversion if behind 1 or 2 points.

33. A possible crash scenario from exiting the coaches/scouts screen has been addressed.

34. The overall scout's evaluation is no longer set to zero when a player is released through an AI-controlled action.
does anyone still have this patch?
butterfingas29 is offline   Reply With Quote