Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
RGunner
High School JV

Big Screen TV shopping

alright, well I'm semi-interested in buying a big screen tv (most likely 50 inches or bigger, not sure yet)....yet i dont really know much about the different types i.e. LCD, rear projection, DLP and such....I'd like to know what kind would be the best, and most likely less pricy of the ones....and if anyone could point me to some nice TV's and explain some of the types that would be great....thanks

RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

have you considered a home cinema projector?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
have you considered a home cinema projector?

not really, haven't looked into that too much...
Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

i would definitely at least look at it, I don't know what your exact needs are.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
i would definitely at least look at it, I don't know what your exact needs are.

Well, I don't necessarily NEED a big screen TV, but I'm tired of my 23 inch TV, and I have money I can spend, plus my grandparents are willing to pay for some for whatever reason lol....But my main concern is not getting the right display type in an investment this big...
Old 10-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Well I am personally very satisfied with the projector I have (Panasonic AE-900 @ $1500ish after rebate). I live on the third floor of military dorms, so carrying an eight pound projector beats the heck out of hauling up a 200lbs big screen tv.

Not to mention I love having a high-definition 100 inch picture on my wall for my dvd & 360 viewing pleasure.

Heck, I love leaving my door cracked open a little bit so people walking by will yell "Holy S*$%" when they see I have a movie on my fricken wall.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Well I am personally very satisfied with the projector I have (Panasonic AE-900 @ $1500ish after rebate). I live on the third floor of military dorms, so carrying an eight pound projector beats the heck out of hauling up a 200lbs big screen tv.

Not to mention I love having a high-definition 100 inch picture on my wall for my dvd & 360 viewing pleasure.

Heck, I love leaving my door cracked open a little bit so people walking by will yell "Holy S*$%" when they see I have a movie on my fricken wall.

yea that would not be bad....anyone know anything about the different types of displays for TV's?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

of course though there are some caveats to having a projector

1) Most projectors require a room that is light controlled. I don't know your situation, but in my dorm room is easy to block out most light. Look at the lumens of the bulb when determining how light controlled your room needs to be.

2) Bulb life. Projector bulbs have a relatively short life compared to other TVs. After a while bulbs will eventually dim and then go out. The life of my particular bulb is 3000 hours before it'll start dimming. So don't buy a projector if you plan on leaving it on all the time. My current usage will have me replacing my bulb every 2 1/2 years. Bulbs can be a couple hundred of dollars to replace.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
RGunner
High School JV

Another thing is I dont think that im going to have the necessary room for a projector....to be honest i would much rather have a TV instead, although I wouldnt mind a projector if all else fails...but i just wanna know all the other details on the different types before i even attempt to make a purchase
Old 10-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
As I mentioned in a previous thread, Crutchfield has a ton of info on the different types of HDTVs. Even if you don't buy from them, they are a great info resource.

hxxp://www.crutchfield.com/S-XcxTCBzpQpG/hdtv/?cm_re_o=fBBk_B0*kbELS*tpfMjt6
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #11
14ers
High School Varsity

A Projector is not like a Big TV.

When I get home at night, I turn on my TV. When I go to bed at night I turn off my TV. I eat dinner in front of my TV, I read a book in front of my TV, I play scrabble in front of my TV, I like just having my TV on all the time in the background.

A projector demands your full attention. A projector needs to have its own room where you can go and completely dedicate your time to it.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote