Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

Get drunk in a bar, go to jail!

Gotta love Texas' puritanical drinking laws...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11965237/

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission’s Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

“We feel that the only way we’re going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this,” she said

“There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they’re intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car,” Beck said. “People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss.”

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

If the goal is to crack down on drunk driving, how can they make sure that the people they are arresting actually drove themselves?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Critch
lolzcat

If they could only find 30 drunk people in 36 bars, they're looking in the wrong bars.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
If the goal is to crack down on drunk driving, how can they make sure that the people they are arresting actually drove themselves?

To be arrested for drunk driving in this country, you apparently neither have to be drunk nor driving.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
If they could only find 30 drunk people in 36 bars, they're looking in the wrong bars.

Yeah, that stat jumped out at me. I wonder what the criteria for being drunk were? Were they just looking for obnoxious loudmouths and people stumbling around?

Old 03-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Paging Ron White...
Old 03-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

http://www.onemorebeer.com/chapter_49.asp#49.02
http://studentlife.tamu.edu/scrs/sls/FAQpi.htm
§49.02. Public intoxication.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

and from http://studentlife.tamu.edu/adep/FACTS/laws.htm

The charge of P.I. requires that the person be intoxicated to the degree that he/she is a danger to him/herself or another person. Being publicly intoxicated makes a person vulnerable to robbery, assault, and a number of other difficulties. For instance, there could be the possibility of tripping on a curb while walking home and being hit by a car. Further, an intoxicated person may plan to drive him/herself home or ride as a passenger in a vehicle driven by an intoxicated driver. This would endanger the individual. As for endangering another person, starting a fight or throwing a bottle in the general direction of another person at a bar would constitute endangerment.

An offence under this section is a Class C Misdemeanor. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class C misdemeanor shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $500.00.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

That's the media spin on this that they were just looking for "drunks". My suspicion is more along the lines what JonIMGA posted: they were looking for the over-the-top troublemakers that are either likely to or already causing problems in those bars. Essentially the guys that the bouncers are there to take care of.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
That's the media spin on this that they were just looking for "drunks". My suspicion is more along the lines what JonIMGA posted: they were looking for the over-the-top troublemakers that are either likely to or already causing problems in those bars. Essentially the guys that the bouncers are there to take care of.

Don't forget the dude passed out in the corner of the bar dry heaving with wet pants.

Sounds more like a zero tolerance policy for clearly inappropriate behavior than a crack down against anyone being legally intoxicated.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
waltwal
H.S. Freshman Team

of course my first reaction is what is "being drunk". then as i think more about it i see the light. does it seem like this idea came out of a recent trial lawyers convention. i can just see the calendar filled with jury trials over this issue and just who benefits? i'll let you fill in that blank.

my second reaction is - might there not be a better way to allocate the resources of law enforcement.
waltwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwal
my second reaction is - might there not be a better way to allocate the resources of law enforcement.

I agree. It was a suburb though, there may not be a whole lot of crime in the community.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwal
i can just see the calendar filled with jury trials over this issue and just who benefits?

For a $500 Class C misdemeanor? I'm thinking 95% of these are plead out & don't amount to 10 minutes in courtroom.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The nanny state comes to Texas, apparently.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #14
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
The nanny state comes to Texas, apparently.

Texans just can't hold their liquor I suppose.

Last edited by Arctus : 03-23-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Texas has long had strict liquor laws...

Old 03-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
lungs
Pro Rookie

That'd be a great way to raise revenue in Wisconsin. If you aren't drunk in a bar in Wisconsin, there is something wrong with you.

I'm glad they didn't do any of these stings in any of the bars I frequent.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8034788/detail.html

IRVING, Texas -- The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has taken its fight against drunken driving to a new level. TABC agents, along with Irving police, targeted 36 bars and clubs Friday, arresting some allegedly intoxicated patrons before they departed the businesses.

The officers and agents also kept watch on bartenders who might have over-served patrons.

Agents arrested 30 people Friday night. Most of the suspects now face charges of public intoxication.

The agents and Irving police officers traveled from bar to bar and worked undercover, according to an NBC 5 report.

The report also said that some agents shared tables with suspected drunken patrons. Some patrons were subjected to field sobriety tests inside bars.

Agents and officers said the operation represented an effort to reduce drunken driving.

Sgt. Chris Hamilton, of the TABC, said some inebriated bar patrons "end up killing themselves or someone else" after departing the businesses.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8169246/detail.html

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission sent a message to bar patrons last week.

TABC agents and Irving police swept through 36 Irving bars and arrested about 30 people on charges of public intoxication. Agency representatives say the move came as a proactive measure to curtail drunken driving.

North Texans interviewed by NBC 5, however, worried that the sweep went too far.

At one location, for example, agents and police arrested patrons of a hotel bar. Some of the suspects said they were registered at the hotel and had no intention of driving. Arresting authorities said the patrons were a danger to themselves and others.

"Going to a bar is not an opportunity to go get drunk," TABC Capt. David Alexander said. "It's to have a good time but not to get drunk."

Dallas comedian Steve Harvey agreed with the Texas residents who said the arrests infringed on individual rights.

"If a guy's got a designated driver, go ahead and let him get toasted," Harvey told NBC 5.

Texas law states that inebriated individuals could be subjected to arrest anywhere for public intoxication. Harvey and other North Texans called the measure extreme.

"That seems to be an extreme case," one man said. "You are self-contained, in the hotel, you're not going in the streets, it seems a little ridiculous."

TABC officials said the sweep concerned saving lives, not individual rights. Harvey and others interviewed by NBC 5 said they believe drunken driving to be unacceptable, although Harvey wanted to confirm that the United States remains a free country.

"Freedom of drinking should always be allowed, and it is only American to let a guy get drunk where he wants to get drunk," Harvey said.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #18
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Gotta love Texas' puritanical drinking laws...

“We feel that the only way we’re going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this,” she said

“There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they’re intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car,” Beck said. “People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss.”

[/i]

Thank you Carrie Nation.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

"Texas - where you can't get drunk in a bar, but you can drink and then shoot your friend in the face."

OK, I'm a bad person....

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 03-23-2006 at 01:42 PM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #20
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
"Texas - where you can't get drunk in a bar, but you can drink and then shoot your friend in the face."

OK, I'm a bad person....

Texas - America's Singapore....only bigger.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #21
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Hey, at least Steve Harvey has a cause now.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote