Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

We Need Some Poker This Sunday

Ok, TLK or ABC, lets get something going this Sunday, I miss the weekly games.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
TLK
Pro Starter

I was thinking the same thing, but figured give it a week and let everyone find their way home. Having said that, if we decided to play this Sunday, I'd more than likely play. It'll be the first time since our last gathering, so I'll be a bit rusty.....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
I was thinking the same thing, but figured give it a week and let everyone find their way home. Having said that, if we decided to play this Sunday, I'd more than likely play. It'll be the first time since our last gathering, so I'll be a bit rusty.....

Well, this thread is a good gauge to see how many people are interested.
I've been itching but i can only make a tourney on AP and they don't have near the options as PS.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #4
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Oh.. I just found this thread... I just started another one asking for a consensus on when to run the next tournament.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Seems like all we need is 5 or 6 to say we have enough interest to have a small tourney. If more get back in touch with things and can join, then great. I can make it Sunday AFAIK.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, figuring that I can't be the only curious person who at least wonders a little bit,
I'll pony up & ask the burning questions:
1) Which one of the multitude of sites is used for these FOFC weekly games?
2) Assuming this is for cash, not just for fun, what's the buy-in?
3) Most importantly (to me anyway), if you really don't intend to play on "Site X" for anything other than an occasional FOFC game, is there more hassle than its worth? i.e., significant deposit required to play, monthly fees/service charges, etc.etc.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Old 11-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
Huckleberry
College Starter

I'll be up for a game, but I'd need to give someone the buy-in amount on Party Poker to get it in return on Poker Stars.

That should answer your first question, Jon. As for the 3rd question, it's no hassle, no monthly charges, etc. They make all their money on the rake. The biggest hassle is starting a Neteller account so you can get your money in. Almost all credit cards are rejected.

I think the buy-in is usually $10+1, right guys?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Okay, figuring that I can't be the only curious person who at least wonders a little bit,
I'll pony up & ask the burning questions:
1) Which one of the multitude of sites is used for these FOFC weekly games?
2) Assuming this is for cash, not just for fun, what's the buy-in?
3) Most importantly (to me anyway), if you really don't intend to play on "Site X" for anything other than an occasional FOFC game, is there more hassle than its worth? i.e., significant deposit required to play, monthly fees/service charges, etc.etc.

1) Pokerstars (pokerstars.com, download the software, set up an account, you can do all of that for free up until you want to make a deposit).

2) the buyin is $11 dollars. $10 for the tournament prize pool, $1 for the house fee

3) There is some hassle setting up a deposit for the first time if your credit card is not accepted by poker sites(many if not most credit cards are not allowed to be used for gambling purposes). neteller is my method of choice, it's free, it's like paypal where you link to a bank account for EFT transfer, which some people are not comfortable with. I play so much poker and move money around so much though that I could nto live without neteller(since its totally free). You can definitely do it in such a way that there are no fees. No fees to keep money at pokerstars(I have about $150 that I just leave there, I haven't used it for anything except the occasional FOFC tourney in the last 2 months). I'm not sure what the minimum deposit is, $50 should be no problem, if you wanted to deposit $11 to just try out one of our tourneys, I suspect that would work fine as well.

To be clear though, there are no fees or service charges for any of this via the poker site for most methods of deposit. Some methods may charge fees but they are generally clearly marked if they do.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

PS has a minimuim despoist of $50.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #10
RGunner
High School JV

I'm in if im home like always
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:32 PM   #11
TLK
Pro Starter

If anyone needs help with a transfer, say the word. I cleaned out all my funds in poker accounts, and put them in gambling accounts, so I'll have to make a deposit at Stars.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 AM   #12
Zē+
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
If anyone needs help with a transfer, say the word. I cleaned out all my funds in poker accounts, and put them in gambling accounts, so I'll have to make a deposit at Stars.

Maybe I'm being naive, but what exactly do you mean by "help with a transfer"? I have an account at PS, but no real money in it, and I haven't set up any of the online banking account things. By transer, do you mean something like I would send you a $50 money order or something, and then you'd transfer 50 from you PS account to mine? If so, I'd be interested in that.

Or maybe I'm really totally misunderstanding this. If so, disregard

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Zē+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #13
TLK
Pro Starter

I was thinking more along the lines of a Party to Stars transfer, or a Paypal transfer.....
Old 11-05-2004, 11:04 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

First, thanks for the replies & answers.
Next question:

If I'm reading things right, it's difficult at best to go Credit Card ---> PokerStars (or whoever)

But if I'm reading Neteller's info page correctly, I can go
Credit Card ----> Neteller and then Neteller---->PokerStars
(in effect, keeping both of them out of my checking acct info, managing to go from CC to gambling site via the use of a "middleman")

Is that pretty much the deal here?

Also, what's the turnaround time for that sort of sequence? I mean, could I decide mid-morning on Sunday I wanted to do this & get everything to process, clear, etc. in time to play?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-05-2004 at 11:04 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #15
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
First, thanks for the replies & answers.
Next question:

If I'm reading things right, it's difficult at best to go Credit Card ---> PokerStars (or whoever)

But if I'm reading Neteller's info page correctly, I can go
Credit Card ----> Neteller and then Neteller---->PokerStars
(in effect, keeping both of them out of my checking acct info, managing to go from CC to gambling site via the use of a "middleman")

Is that pretty much the deal here?

Also, what's the turnaround time for that sort of sequence? I mean, could I decide mid-morning on Sunday I wanted to do this & get everything to process, clear, etc. in time to play?

In reading neteller's notes, it appears many CC's consider neteller to be affiliated with gambling and reject there as well.

Also:

Quote:
Please Note:
A processing fee of 3.9% will be deducted from all credit card deposits.

Some credit card providers may view this transaction as a cash advance.

So it sounds like that's just a bad idea.

I have neteller connected to a bank account, does anyone else do it differently that could offer suggestions?

If you link to a bank account the initial turnaround time is slow while they go through the verification process(probably takes 4-5 days). Faster options generally have fees.

If you use paypal, that's another option, many of us here have helped each other transfer money, like TLK(I believe it was TLK) suggested above. You transfer $50 to someone over paypal, they transfer $50 into your poker account through pokerstars, if you're comfortable with that.

for non checking-linked options, I dunno myself since that's how I do it.