Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Meadowlands Xanadu

So, after hearing about the Giants fighting with Xanadu, and hearing bits here and there about what they are planning to build next to Giants Stadium (besides the new Giants Stadium), I finally checked out what they are building.

Holy Shit. This is the worst freaking idea ever.

So, let me get this straight. On pretty much the ONLY road to the Lincoln Tunnel to get to New York City, they are building this monstrosity:

-indoor ski slopes (yes, an indoor goddamn ski slope)
-racing track
-worlds largest movie theater
-luxury hotel
-hard rock cafe
-night clubs
-cooking school
-place to have fashion shows
-and so much more!

Because traffic isn't bad enough getting into the city, or getting to Giants games. Thank god the Nets and Devils are moving out. I hope they build a road to go all the way around this ridiculousness...though I know they wont.

It already takes an hour to get out of the Giants parking lot (no joke. There is nothing but SWAMP around for miles and miles, and they built like 2 exits for 80-thousand people)...this sucks.

Check out the totally unnecassary "5 district nuisance" at the most annoying to navigate website, meadowlandsxanadu.com.

Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Maybe I'm way off base with all this...but I thought this plan for the whole skiing area, etc was based on the Giants/Jets moving out of the area. i.e. This would only happen if the teams weren't playing there anymore (and by now we realize that they're here to stay).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:55 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
So, after hearing about the Giants fighting with Xanadu, and hearing bits here and there about what they are planning to build next to Giants Stadium (besides the new Giants Stadium), I finally checked out what they are building.

Holy Shit. This is the worst freaking idea ever.

So, let me get this straight. On pretty much the ONLY road to the Lincoln Tunnel to get to New York City, they are building this monstrosity:

-indoor ski slopes (yes, an indoor goddamn ski slope)
-racing track
-worlds largest movie theater
-luxury hotel
-hard rock cafe
-night clubs
-cooking school
-place to have fashion shows
-and so much more!

Because traffic isn't bad enough getting into the city, or getting to Giants games. Thank god the Nets and Devils are moving out. I hope they build a road to go all the way around this ridiculousness...though I know they wont.

It already takes an hour to get out of the Giants parking lot (no joke. There is nothing but SWAMP around for miles and miles, and they built like 2 exits for 80-thousand people)...this sucks.

Check out the totally unnecassary "5 district nuisance" at the most annoying to navigate website, meadowlandsxanadu.com.

No one is gonna go up there. People never went to games, even when those teams got good. IT'S TOO FAR to travel and it's NOT EASY TO GET THERE.

If NJ Transit had a rail line there, it'd be all gravy. But it's still too damn far. No one is going to xanadu. Those morons are stupid and I hope the whole project fails completely.

It's these suburban politicians trying to control all the gravy and the money...and to keep that thing open, when it ought not be.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Maybe I'm way off base with all this...but I thought this plan for the whole skiing area, etc was based on the Giants/Jets moving out of the area. i.e. This would only happen if the teams weren't playing there anymore (and by now we realize that they're here to stay).

Nope, just Meadowlands arena. It's the Nets/Devils leaving plan...nothing to do with football.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:08 AM   #5
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
No one is gonna go up there. People never went to games, even when those teams got good. IT'S TOO FAR to travel and it's NOT EASY TO GET THERE.

If NJ Transit had a rail line there, it'd be all gravy. But it's still too damn far. No one is going to xanadu. Those morons are stupid and I hope the whole project fails completely.

It's these suburban politicians trying to control all the gravy and the money...and to keep that thing open, when it ought not be.

People always went to Giants and Jets game. Nets sucked forever and well Devils get ok attendance. People will go to Xanadu, but not me. If I want to go to the mall, I'll go to Menlo Park or Bridgewater Commons. If I want good deals, I'll go out to Pennsy.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Football attendance is amazing, and has never, never ever, never ever, never never never been an issue there. Basketball and Hockey are a completely different story.

And yes I agree a rail line should run directly to the stadium.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 AM   #7
Samdari
Roster Filler

Yeah, I am like 45,000th on the season ticket waiting list for the Jets. And I understand the Giants are more popular. Noone goes to games?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I never had a problem getting out of Giants Stadium. Maybe I'm immune after the Foxboro years where you get out in 2 hours you feel like you just won something.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I never had a problem getting out of Giants Stadium. Maybe I'm immune after the Foxboro years where you get out in 2 hours you feel like you just won something.

Yeah, i thought that estimate was way off. It's never taken me more than 20 minutes to get out of the stadium and back on the road.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Yeah, i thought that estimate was way off. It's never taken me more than 20 minutes to get out of the stadium and back on the road.

same here. 20 minutes at most and we were on our way.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #11
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

are you guys leaving early? or parking over at continental? or paying for preferred parking? ive always found it near impossible to leave the stadium if you stay for a whole game.

and yes, they are building a rail line to run straight to xanadu, from what ive read.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
are you guys leaving early? or parking over at continental? or paying for preferred parking? ive always found it near impossible to leave the stadium if you stay for a whole game.

and yes, they are building a rail line to run straight to xanadu, from what ive read.

nope and nope and nope.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #13
weinstein7
High School JV

If they called it Fort Awesome, then I might be behind the idea, but as it stands....just terrible.

Oh well that's New Jersey for you. It's always nice when your state is run by the real-estate developers. Better than the old days when it was run by the mob I gues. Oh wait....
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #14
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
If they called it Fort Awesome, then I might be behind the idea, but as it stands....just terrible.

Oh well that's New Jersey for you. It's always nice when your state is run by the real-estate developers. Better than the old days when it was run by the mob I gues. Oh wait....

i was gonna go with the jimmy james name, but i didnt think anyone would get it.

newsradio on dvd soon! woot!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
People always went to Giants and Jets game. Nets sucked forever and well Devils get ok attendance. People will go to Xanadu, but not me. If I want to go to the mall, I'll go to Menlo Park or Bridgewater Commons. If I want good deals, I'll go out to Pennsy.

Menlo.

Bridgewater.

Cries.

I miss home.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Football attendance is amazing, and has never, never ever, never ever, never never never been an issue there. Basketball and Hockey are a completely different story.

And yes I agree a rail line should run directly to the stadium.

I just meant that the owners of the Devils and Nets always said attendance was a problem. Football is just more popular and I think the shorter season helps tremendously. I think other cities have proven that the downtown stadium idea works best for those sports that have lots of games.

So that's why the arena fell out of favour.

Fort Awesome, would be very Jerseylike..and that'd be a place worth visiting. Especially if it was on the shore. So you could ski and then go to the beach.

lol
Old 06-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

ok, youre giving me rides home from giants games from now on. do you own a tank? i cant wait to get out in 20 mins!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #18
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
ok, youre giving me rides home from giants games from now on. do you own a tank? i cant wait to get out in 20 mins!

flying car
Old 06-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #19
CraigSca
Pro Starter

If they build this, New Jersey will lose it's last bastion of smelly, skunk-watered swamp land. Where's the public outcry?!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #20
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
flying car

do you have season tix? where do you sit?

for games, not flying cars.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
do you have season tix? where do you sit?

for games, not flying cars.

no, only gone a few times so my sample size is small. cthomer probably is a better guage on a consistent basis.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:46 AM   #22
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ok.

i have season tickets, so maybe i speak from more experience. or maybe im an awful driver. either way, xanadu will not help.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #23
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
If they build this, New Jersey will lose it's last bastion of smelly, skunk-watered swamp land. Where's the public outcry?!

You under-estimate our reserves of swamp.

Actually, as I recall, when the deal was made for Xanadu, the arrangement was that in exchange for turning over this pile of swamp-land, the remaining swamp would be designated protected land.

And incidentally, some of the "smelly, skunk-watered swamp land" is actually pretty cool, such as the Great Swamp Park. Just not a good place to build an indoor ski slope.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote