Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bengals WR Chris Henry involved in serious car accident

Doesn't sound good at all:

Quote:
Chris Henry suffers "very serious" injuries in car accident
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 16, 2009 5:45 PM ET
Bengals receiver Chris Henry has suffered "very serious" injuries in a car accident, according to a release from the team.

Henry is currently on injured reserve with a dislocated forearm. He was in Charlotte, North Carolina at the time of the accident. His girlfriend's parents live in Charlotte.

We'll update Henry's condition when more information is available.

UPDATE: Charlotte police has confirmed Henry is injured, but did not reveal anything more.

UPDATE II: Henry is in serious condition in a Charlotte-area hospital. Bengals team spokesman Jack Brennan said the team is "on standby" to offer help for Henry's family.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think we can use this thread title anymore since the Tiger thread.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It would be a shame if this ended his career. By all accounts he'd finally turned his life around.

edit: or maybe hadn't turned his life around. From the Charlotte Observer.

Quote:
Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry was injured after coming out of the back of a pickup truck during a domestic dispute in north Charlotte.

Officers were called out to Oakdale Road near I-485 and Statesville Road just before noon in reference to a person down. When officers arrived, they found Henry in the road, with life-threatening injuries.

Paramedics transported Henry to Carolinas Medical Center, where he is being treated, according to police.

Police say Henry was involved in a "domestic situation" with his fiancee at 840 Peachtree Road. His fiancee, who was not named in a press release, got into a pickup truck and drove away from the home. As she was driving, police say, Henry jumped into the bed of the truck.

The domestic dispute continued between the driver of the truck and Henry. At some point, Henry came out of the back of the vehicle.

He was found by police about half a mile from the house in question.

A team spokesman confirmed that the parents of Henry's fiancee live in Charlotte, though it's unclear if he was visiting them.

Henry, No. 15 on the Bengals, is in his fifth season with the team and is known for his speed and athletic ability but also his troubles off the field.

He had frequent discipline issues, including four arrests in a seven-month span in 2006.

Those arrests included supplying alcohol to three underage females, a concealed weapon charge involving allegations that he pulled a pistol on a group of revelers, and marijuana charges.

In five seasons, he's caught 119 passes for 1,826 yard and 21 touchdowns.

He has been on injured reserve since dislocating his forearm Nov. 9.

Last edited by JPhillips : 12-16-2009 at 05:20 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

Rumors are abound that he's already dead.....rumors of course but sometimes it's just a matter of time once those rumors start. Sucks...absolutely sucks. If he doesn't break his stinking wrist, this doesn't even happen.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I don't think we can use this thread title anymore since the Tiger thread.

I was thinking that, too.

Sounds like a sad situation, tho.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I hate to say it, but this has Darwin Awards written all over it.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

The finance must have been going pretty fast. I wonder if she was in a panicked retreat, or if she swerved to get him off of there on purpose.

Last edited by molson : 12-16-2009 at 05:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

About as surprising as Lance Bass being homosexual
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I was thinking that, too.

Sounds like a sad situation, tho.

Give it time. The jokes should be starting anytime now.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

Several sources saying it has been confirmed a doctor at the hospital that he has died. Some reporter in Dallas has the scoop and Huffington Post has picked it up as well.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
lungs
Pro Rookie

Can't be good that homicide detectives are on the scene, right?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Several sources saying it has been confirmed a doctor at the hospital that he has died. Some reporter in Dallas has the scoop and Huffington Post has picked it up as well.

Damn that sucks if true, very sad. I know emotions take priority over common sense in these situations, but just let your girl drive away and cool down...Why jump in the back of a truck, that is obviously being driven erratically. Again, hope he has not died, but very tragic if so.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

Very sad news.

I've always felt a little sorry for Henry, as I think he is almost certainly a kid that would not have gone to college or left his hometown if not for his football talent. He was always pretty shy and reluctant (I suspect he has some social anxiety disorder) to talk to the media while at WVU, but seemed to get confident (and then overconfident) by the end of his junior and final season in school. I know he did a lot of terrible things, but I feel like he was put in a very uncomfortable position due to his athletic ability.

Hopefully, he pulls through.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if the Bengals will wear a stripe on their helmet or jerseys to memorialize him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

He wasn't a role model by any means but the stuff he got in trouble for were the same demons a lot of people get in trouble for. I hope the reports are wrong but if he is dead I hope people don't start piling on. He was very troubled and looked like he might have been back on the right track.

Is getting in the back of a speeding truck a really stupid thing to do? Sure, and we could bash him if he escaped unharmed. But if he is dead I think we should not pile on.

Last edited by panerd : 12-16-2009 at 06:01 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
rowech
Pro Starter

Well...now it appears he might not be dead. CBS Sports has retracted a banner that was on their website and the Bengals insider for the Enquirer is saying he's still alive but that we'll know more in an hour or two...

That said, I think he's probably dead, word got out before family was notified, and they're trying to clean up the pieces so they can announce his death once they notify the family.

Hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Well...now it appears he might not be dead. CBS Sports has retracted a banner that was on their website and the Bengals insider for the Enquirer is saying he's still alive but that we'll know more in an hour or two...

That said, I think he's probably dead, word got out before family was notified, and they're trying to clean up the pieces so they can announce his death once they notify the family.

Hope I'm wrong.

Or maybe they have to confirm brain death.. that can take time. Whether or not he is dead, it sounds like a very sad situation.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sad news.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #19
cougarfreak
College Starter

Man..........hope he pulls through, by all accounts he was in the process of turning his life around.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the twitter reporter was made up.

FoxSports.com's Alex Marvez tweeted the following :From what i hear, some jerk made a fake twitter in a reporter's name and posted chris henry died. NOT TRUE. still alive as of 10 mins ago. (this was posted 20 minutes ago). He does describe Henry's situation as "dire" and that he is on life support.

Source: Bengals WR on life support; situation 'dire' - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN
Old 12-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #21
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Looks like the twitter reporter was made up.

FoxSports.com's Alex Marvez tweeted the following :From what i hear, some jerk made a fake twitter in a reporter's name and posted chris henry died. NOT TRUE. still alive as of 10 mins ago. (this was posted 20 minutes ago). He does describe Henry's situation as "dire" and that he is on life support.

Source: Bengals WR on life support; situation 'dire' - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

I know speculation in these things is always dangerous, but assuming he was in the back of the truck for a half mile, it sure seems like the women was doing anything she could to get him out of that truck.

if that's the case, it can only mean two things:

1) She was terrified for her life.
2) She's batshiat crazy.

This may seem sad, but i sure hope to God it's #2.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I would say that if the "domestic dispute" started, the woman took off in the truck, Henry jumped into the truck bed, and the "domestic dispute" was continuing down the road... I'd say odds are good it ain't #2.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

What if he comes out of the coma and has no recollection of the incident? Does the fiancee remind him what they were fighting about? Does she get out of dodge?

Awkward......and sad.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #24
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I know speculation in these things is always dangerous, but assuming he was in the back of the truck for a half mile, it sure seems like the women was doing anything she could to get him out of that truck.

if that's the case, it can only mean two things:

1) She was terrified for her life.
2) She's batshiat crazy.

This may seem sad, but i sure hope to God it's #2.
Probably a mixture of both. He has a history of violence and substance abuse. A woman who wants to be with someone like that is probably a little batshit crazy to begin with.

Tough to feel sorry for someone who does something so stupid. As well as having a history of showing little disregard for other people in society. Feel sorry for his friends and family though.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #25
RedKingGold
College Starter

He better hurry up. I heard the Robinsons' lost nine today.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 12-16-2009 at 07:29 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
What if he comes out of the coma and has no recollection of the incident? Does the fiancee remind him what they were fighting about? Does she get out of dodge?

Awkward......and sad.
What if he is reincarnated into the body of a billionaire and then proceeds to buy the Cincinnati Bengals, hire a trainer to get himself into game shape only to be killed again. Then be reincarnated again into the body of Chad Johnson and lead them to a Super Bowl victory.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
RedKingGold
College Starter

Don't be silly. Bengals don't believe in reincarnation.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #28
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder if the Bengals will wear a stripe on their helmet or jerseys to memorialize him.

well played.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Probably a mixture of both. He has a history of violence and substance abuse. A woman who wants to be with someone like that is probably a little batshit crazy to begin with.

I really don't want to turn this off topic, but it isn't the easiest thing in the world for a woman to get out of an abusive relationship.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #30
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Don't be silly. Bengals don't believe in reincarnation.

You sure? They are primarily from India.

edit: really do hope he pulls through though

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-16-2009 at 08:30 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
You sure? They are primarily from India.

They're a carniverous minority.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #32
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Going to be VERY interesting to see how much of a roasting Twitter gets over the fake reporter whipping folks into a frenzy.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #33
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Apparently his agent has released a statement saying Henry's fighting for his life. God bless him and especially his children.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #34
RendeR
Coordinator

All the joking aside, Henry had come a long way in cleaning his life up and walking the straight n narrow so he could keep his career going.

Can't imagine what could have escalated enough to make him jump into the back of a moving truck, but hey, I've done crazier things.....well..ok not quite, but close.

Hope he pulls through.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #35
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Apparently his agent has released a statement saying Henry's fighting for his life. God bless him and especially his children.

Guess he is on life support. (www.cincinnati.com)

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-16-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #36
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Going to be VERY interesting to see how much of a roasting Twitter gets over the fake reporter whipping folks into a frenzy.

From what I'm hearing it was some asshole from the SomethingAwful forums. I don't see why Twitter would get any flack for it... anyone can post/say/represent themselves as anyone on the internet anywhere. Unless I am missing something about Twitter validating people in some fashion?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

Let the assumptions begin! WHERE IS THE TRASHPRESS!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #38
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

What you said.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
From what I'm hearing it was some asshole from the SomethingAwful forums. I don't see why Twitter would get any flack for it... anyone can post/say/represent themselves as anyone on the internet anywhere. Unless I am missing something about Twitter validating people in some fashion?

Twitter can and does validate athletes and journalists to be the true owners of accounts. Not saying it was done in this case (it wasn't), but look for icons that say "verified" next to the name

http://twitter.com/help/verified

Right now, If I was an agent or represented a celebrity in any way, I'd demand that if they were on Twitter, to be verified.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #40
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Twitter can and does validate athletes and journalists to be the true owners of accounts. Not saying it was done in this case (it wasn't), but look for icons that say "verified" next to the name

http://twitter.com/help/verified

Right now, If I was an agent or represented a celebrity in any way, I'd demand that if they were on Twitter, to be verified.

At this time only "high profile" people can be verified. Which is bull shit. But anyway, anyone lying about stuff like this deserves to get kicked in the face.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #41
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Something Awful didn't do it, someone there just mentioned the fact that Twitter says he is dead, or maybe not...

FYI.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #42
Kodos
Resident Alien

How "cleaned up" could he really be if he's jumping on the moving truck of a girl who is clearly trying to get away from him?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #43
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

News organizations pick up random twitter feed and post it as confirmed information without any further fact checking into both the accident and the legitimacy of said feed.

Yeah, Twitter is not the problem here. Neither is Something Awful(or whoever).

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #44
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
News organizations pick up random twitter feed and post it as confirmed information without any further fact checking into both the accident and the legitimacy of said feed.

Yeah, Twitter is not the problem here. Neither is Something Awful(or whoever).

+1
Old 12-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #45
Galaril
Pro Starter

Sad story thye have just announced henry has passed away. RIP.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
How "cleaned up" could he really be if he's jumping on the moving truck of a girl who is clearly trying to get away from him?

Eh, pending more details I have to reserve judgment on that a little bit. I think it's pretty much a given that Man+Woman = potential for doing stupid shit.

In my experience you don't have to be chemically altered or even have a significant long term emotional disorder to do something stupid in the heat of the moment when there's boy/girl stuff involved.

I guess what I'm saying is that being "cleaned up" doesn't make him immune from momentary bad judgment in a situation like that, nor does that bad judgment necessarily mean he was messed up in any of his traditional ways.
Damn sure doesn't mean he wasn't, just that I don't think we can call it automatically.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #47
chesapeake
College Starter

What a sad ending to a troubled life.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #48
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

my fav player

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #49
PilotMan
Head Coach

No matter who you are a fan of, it is truly sad when a player loses his life. God Bless his family.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #50
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
No matter who you are a fan of, it is truly sad when a player loses his life. God Bless his family.

Agreed.