Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

XBox 360 tech question

So I broke down and got the 360 yesterday. Loving it so far... my question is: Is the fan real loud in your system. I played it for about 3 hours yesterday and the fan was really kicking hard - loud enough to hear it over my surround sound. Also - it got pretty hot... are these the norm for the 360?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

It's a Microsoft product, what do you expect?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm partially deaf, and usually have the TV volume turned up enough to compensate that I can't hear the fan running.

If the fan really is the jet engine I'm told it is, I'm aware this practice may have unfortunate repercussions down the road
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Mine is the same way- the fan is really loud, I think I'm like most people and just turn the surround sound up louder as the fan gets louder.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My fan is also loud, but my system doesn't become hot (least not hotter than I've seen computers run.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
hukarez
College Starter

Hmm.

Well, I guess my fan can be considered loud (my desktop's power supply is pretty freaking loud alone), but I notice my DVD drive making more noise than the fan alone.

(Un)fortunately for me, it's a Hitachi, and not a Samsung version. From what I'm told, the Samsung ones are a bit more quieter at the least.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_3...Comparison.htm

These days, noise isn't much of a big deal for me, though.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't noticed my dev kit fan as being particularly loud. Haven't touched the case to determine heat - I should check that out, as it's usually left on 24/7.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
So I broke down and got the 360 yesterday. Loving it so far... my question is: Is the fan real loud in your system. I played it for about 3 hours yesterday and the fan was really kicking hard - loud enough to hear it over my surround sound. Also - it got pretty hot... are these the norm for the 360?

Is the fan loud from the time you first turn it on, or does it get louder as the system heats up? Do you have enough airflow around the box to dissipate heat?

The DVD drive can spin up pretty fast as well. I've got mine in a TV stand with glass doors that are normally shut (the back is open so plenty of airflow), and I don't notice much noise, certainly not enough to interfere with the regular game audio.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Is the fan loud from the time you first turn it on, or does it get louder as the system heats up? Do you have enough airflow around the box to dissipate heat?

The DVD drive can spin up pretty fast as well. I've got mine in a TV stand with glass doors that are normally shut (the back is open so plenty of airflow), and I don't notice much noise, certainly not enough to interfere with the regular game audio.

It's loud as soon as it starts to read the disk. I'm going to move it away from my TV and audio receiver because I read that could cause heat. Which way doe you prop your 360 - flat or horizontal? I just called Best Buy and I'm going to exchange mine 'cause it's also scratching my disks.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
It's loud as soon as it starts to read the disk. I'm going to move it away from my TV and audio receiver because I read that could cause heat. Which way doe you prop your 360 - flat or horizontal? I just called Best Buy and I'm going to exchange mine 'cause it's also scratching my disks.

Mine is flat, with the DVD drive horizontal (not vertical). That fits best with all my other home theater gear.

If yours gets loud when you put it in a disc, and if it is scratching discs when you're not moving it, sounds like you've got a bad DVD drive, not a fan or heat issue.