Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2003, 12:59 PM   #1
TLK
Pro Starter

Early Nominee: Idiot of the Week

Quote:
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A woman who didn't want the rain to ruin the sofa in the back of her truck caused 24 vehicles to wreck behind her Sunday on Interstate 20 as she swerved to get under an overpass, a police spokesman said.

Eleven people suffered minor injuries.

"It was a mess," said Sgt. Pat White of the DeKalb County Police.

He said the woman was driving her brown Ford F-150 pickup truck westbound on I-20, just east of Atlanta, at 5:19 p.m. EDT when it began to rain.

She changed lanes so rapidly that she cut off cars as she made her way to the shoulder of the road to get under the overpass, White said.

"She cut off two vehicles initially, right away, and that caused those two vehicles to collide with each other," White said. "We had a total of 24 vehicles at the end of it."

Eight separate accidents were reported as a direct result of the woman's poor driving, he said.

"She never was struck," White said of the woman, "but she did stay at the scene and was charged with improper lane change."

He said the woman had planned to stop in the dry area under the overpass until the rain stopped.

The westbound lanes were blocked for about an hour as officials tried to clear the scene, the dispatcher said. All lanes were open by 9:30 p.m. EDT, White said.

DeKalb County borders the Atlanta city limits to the east.

TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

I'd piss on her sofa.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:05 PM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Why is it that the idiots who cause the wrecks never seem to get in them? At least she didn't run away like most people would have (of course--she only probably stayed to keep her sofa dry).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'd include this flapjack in the voting:

Man in orange kilt takes to track during GP.

A protester at Silverstone who took to the track during today's British Grand Prix has been arrested following the incident that brought out the Safety Car at Silverstone.

The race was already shaping up to be an exciting one, and the Safety Car had already made an appearance to remove some of David Coulthard's car from the circuit, when on the twelfth lap a 56-year-old man took to the track wearing and orange and green combination and carrying placards.

Heading towards the traffic along Hangar Straight the man, who was wearing a beret, green top and socks and an orange kilt, actually tried to make for the Formula One cars coming towards him. Dutchman Jos Verstappen was just one of the drivers who had to take avoiding action as the man charged down the race track.

A marshal soon intercepted the man by pushing the man to the ground, when he demonstrated that though he was wearing a kilt, it wasn't in the traditional Scottish manner, as he was wearing green underwear.

The man was then dragged unceremoniously from the circuit and to the waiting police. He was then arrested in connection with the charge of aggravated trespass and is due to be interviewed by police in Northampton later today.

With all eyes on Silverstone it was not what the circuit needed, though Bernie Ecclestone acknowledged the freak nature of the incident. "It was not necessary," dead-panned Ecclestone to the ITV cameras after the race, "it was an exciting race without that."

"You can't stop this kind of thing," reckoned Ecclestone, no doubt aware of the number of similar incidents that occur at numerous different sporting events.

Silverstone and the Motor Sport Association have launched a full investigation. The man is believed to have a political motive for his actions.

It's not the first time a Grand Prix has seen this kind of thing. The German Grand Prix in 2000 saw a disgruntled ex-Mercedes employee take to the track in his own protest. The winner of the race that day? Rubens Barrichello.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:29 PM   #5
Blade
College Prospect

I saw the clip of this moron running on the track...

People just seem to be getting dumber and dumber...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade
I saw the clip of this moron running on the track...

People just seem to be getting dumber and dumber...

People aren't getting dumber, we're just catching it on TV now.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

Wow, those people are stupid
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:08 PM   #8
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

My wife was at the beach with girlfriends this past weekend while I was at camp with middle school kids. She got stuck less than a mile behind the pileup. Let's just say that she was NOT happy to hear that news today.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:23 PM   #9
oykib
College Starter

Three years ago, my little brother's car was totaled when some stupid woman tried to make an illegal U-turn off of the on ramp of the West Side Highway because she wanted to go back to Mcdonald's to use the bathroom.

Thankfully, he was not injured. A week later my brother's best friend was paralyzed in a wreck caused when a truck driver, who should know better, did the same thing near-- but not quite at-- the top of a hill.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
Critch
lolzcat

The guy who ran over the track at Silverstone was a "bible-bashing loonie" (quoting one of the UK papers there). The sign he was carrying said "read the bible, the bible is always right".
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:37 PM   #11
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Critch
The guy who ran over the track at Silverstone was a "bible-bashing loonie" (quoting one of the UK papers there). The sign he was carrying said "read the bible, the bible is always right".

I heard it was Tony George......

Last edited by TLK : 07-21-2003 at 07:38 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #12
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Damn, Im going to need to work extra hard to become this weeks idiot.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:37 PM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

I nominate Fritz...err...wait...you mean it's not that kinda thread?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote