Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Bonds, Giambi, Sheffield...Steroids

ESPN.com news services

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds received steroids and human growth hormone from a nutritional supplements lab implicated in a steroid-distribution ring, according to information given to federal investigators, the San Francisco Chronicle reported late Monday on its Web site.

Investigators also were told that New York Yankees stars Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield, as well as three other major leaguers and one NFL player, were given steroids, the newspaper reported.

Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, gave the players the drugs from the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, according to information given to the government and shared with the newspaper.

The newspaper stated that its information did not "explicitly state" that the athletes used the steroids after obtaining them.

Bonds, Giambi and Sheffield, all of whom testified last fall before the grand jury that indicted four men in the alleged steroid-distribution ring, have denied steroid use. The three men declined comment Monday when contacted by the newspaper.

"We continue to adamantly deny that Barry was provided, furnished or supplied any of those substances at any time by Greg Anderson," Bonds' attorney Michael Rains told the newspaper.

Sheffield's attorney, Paula Canny, told the paper: "Gary Sheffield has never knowingly ingested a steroid ... and Gary Sheffield has never knowingly applied an anabolic steroid cream to his body."

Prosecutors released documents last month saying Anderson told federal agents he gave steroids to several professional baseball players. None of those players was identified in those documents.

Anderson's attorney, Tony Serra, said last Friday that Bonds "never took anything illegal" and that the slugger was offered -- but rejected -- a substance at the heart of the government's case against the four indicted men.

That substance, according to government documents, was the recently unmasked steroid THG.

Anderson has been charged with participating in a steroid-distribution ring that provided performance-enhancing drugs to professional athletes. Also charged have been BALCO founder Victor Conte and the lab's vice president, James Valente, as well as track coach Remi Korchemny.

All four have pleaded not guilty and are free on bond.

The Chronicle reported that two of Bonds' former teammates -- Marvin Benard of the Chicago White Sox and Kansas City catcher Benito Santiago -- and former Oakland infielder Randy Velarde also received performance-enhancing drugs, as did Oakland Raiders linebacker Bill Romanowski.

An anonymous source told the Chronicle that Anderson provided Bonds with steroids and human growth hormone as far back as 2001, when the slugger hit 73 homers to break the single-season record. Bonds has 658 career homers -- 97 shy of Hank Aaron's career mark.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
miami_fan
Coordinator

Marvin Benard and Rand Velarde? There goes that theory of steriods making you a better ball player.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I wonder what kind of coverage we'll get when Bonds passes Willie Mays? I mean how can you stand up and applaud such a fraudulent accomplishment...
Old 03-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Randy Velarde DID hit 14 home runs all of a sudden that one year... where do YOU think all that power came from?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes
Randy Velarde DID hit 14 home runs all of a sudden that one year... where do YOU think all that power came from?

Taco Bell?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

[Hypocrisy]

Oh, I'm shocked !

[/hypocrisy]
Old 03-02-2004, 09:47 AM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

You know at some point somebody will have these three guys take a pee test, they come up clean and then look at the cameras and say "See I told you so" The damge has already been done
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

tip of the iceberg
Old 03-02-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
John Galt
Pro Starter

How can anyone take this "new" report seriously? It says a source (unknown qualification or role) says Bonds used juice. This is no news. Turk Wendell said so last week and this SF Chronicle article doesn't add anymore evidence.

I don't know who wrote it recently, but I thought this was one of the most astute observations about the steroid controversy:

6'2" and 220 lbs Bonds = steriod user
6'2" and 250 lbs linebacker = strong

I have no idea if Bonds used steroids, but to say so simply based upon circumstantial evidence is crazy.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Look at the size of their heads!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:38 AM   #11
Shepp
High School Varsity

Any doubt I have about Barry Bonds having taken steroids is put down when I look at pictures of him when he played for Pittsburgh at the beginning of his career and now. I have never seen someone put on that kind of size as they get older without some "extra supplements" added to their workout routine.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:50 AM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
How can anyone take this "new" report seriously? It says a source (unknown qualification or role) says Bonds used juice. This is no news. Turk Wendell said so last week and this SF Chronicle article doesn't add anymore evidence.

I don't know who wrote it recently, but I thought this was one of the most astute observations about the steroid controversy:

6'2" and 220 lbs Bonds = steriod user
6'2" and 250 lbs linebacker = strong

I have no idea if Bonds used steroids, but to say so simply based upon circumstantial evidence is crazy.

The news is that now there is evidance based coming out based on a federal investigation. Prior to this it's been he said she said. Now it's turning into facts. Not this particular story maybe but it's clear names will be named.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #13
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
The news is that now there is evidance based coming out based on a federal investigation. Prior to this it's been he said she said. Now it's turning into facts. Not this particular story maybe but it's clear names will be named.

Read the stories again - they do not say that. They say this information was given to investigators, not that this is a conclusion of the investigation. That is an enormous difference.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Read the stories again - they do not say that. They say this information was given to investigators, not that this is a conclusion of the investigation. That is an enormous difference.

If you don't want to see where this is going then fine.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:42 PM   #15
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

There is absolutetly no doubt in my mind that the one sure guy that did take steroids is Benito Santiago. That man is so old and so HUGE, especially in the arms. They all did and more people did too. I play division II baseball and I know of people at this level taking them.