Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Mike Golic Going Off...

Did anybody hear Mike Golic of Mike & Mike going off on the New York Knicks young players whining about how they weren't getting told "good job" enough and that's why they weren't motivated to play under Larry Brown? He did it on the Thursday episode towards the end of the show, then they also replayed some of it on this morning's show.

I quite agreed with his rant, that these guys want WAY TOO MUCH coddling and that if that is the pervasive attitude in the Knicks franchise, that squad has infinitely more problems than a crappy record. I have to wonder, though, is this unique to the Knicks or are all athletes of "this generation" (the generation that has come up in the era when people seem to be more about coddling the kids--participation awards, etc) bigger pansies than athletes of previous generations?

Anybody?
/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
or are all athletes of "this generation" (the generation that has come up in the era when people seem to be more about coddling the kids--participation awards, etc) bigger pansies than athletes of previous generations?
I don't think there's any question, really. There have always been coddled athletes and prima donnas, but those qualities are greatly magnified by the massive popularity, vast media access, and huge salaries of today's pro sports.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

They sure seem to do their share of whining these days. Either the practices are too rough or people aren't paying enough attention to them. I'm not sure if it has to do with the culture of participation awards so much since it seems like so many pro athletes grew up in some pretty harsh environments, but it might have something to do with the way these guys are treated like such celebrities. They figure that once they get this far, they no longer have to work for their money.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

He's just angry because his brother got that nice gig on Saved By The Bell: The College Years.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Thats pretty silly, to be sure, but if the coach can't figure out how/what motivates his players, then he's got to shoulder most of the blame.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I don't think there's any question, really. There have always been coddled athletes and prima donnas, but those qualities are greatly magnified by the massive popularity, vast media access, and huge salaries of today's pro sports.

A good point about the media coverage. I'm sure the intense media competition and blanket coverage breeds a more adversarial relationship between the media and sports figures. Babe Ruth wouldn't have gotten the same free pass from the media today for his indiscretions (gonorrhea, alcoholism, etc)...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

It was pretty funny, as far as rants go.

Hopefully Schmidty and rendeR were listening.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

If I was on the Knicks I'd be whining too
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
If I was on the Knicks I'd be whining too

No, if you were on the Knicks, you'd be collecting a fat NBA salary and would have nothing whatsoever to whine about.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Did anybody hear Mike Golic of Mike & Mike going off on the New York Knicks young players whining about how they weren't getting told "good job" enough and that's why they weren't motivated to play under Larry Brown? He did it on the Thursday episode towards the end of the show, then they also replayed some of it on this morning's show.

I quite agreed with his rant, that these guys want WAY TOO MUCH coddling and that if that is the pervasive attitude in the Knicks franchise, that squad has infinitely more problems than a crappy record. I have to wonder, though, is this unique to the Knicks or are all athletes of "this generation" (the generation that has come up in the era when people seem to be more about coddling the kids--participation awards, etc) bigger pansies than athletes of previous generations?

Anybody?
/tk

When you find a team that does not coddle its players, let me know.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #11
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

Hopefully Schmidty and rendeR were listening.

What I lack in hilarity, I make up for in irritating tenacity.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
When you find a team that does not coddle its players, let me know.

Maybe coddle was the wrong word. I can understand trying to keep your players happy. But a player being upset because he wasn't getting told he was doing a good job often enough (and based on the Knicks' record, nobody was doing a good job all that often...) is just ludicrous.

Granted, don't get me wrong, Larry Brown really didn't do his job in the least this past season with the Knicks. But if the main complaint from players is that he didn't tell them they were doing a good job often enough.... For what, 23 wins or something ridicuously awful like that...

Though the media things that have been mentioned here are something I kind of forgot about/take for granted. You don't hear players on the Wizards (who made it the playoffs but still haven't figured out how to put a complete game together) making those types of comments, and they don't have quite the payroll that the Knicks do.

/tk
Old 07-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

I concur. I was actually sick and half-asleep on the couch when he started ranting (he woke me up), so I ended up downloading the show (I'm an ESPN Insider) so I could hear the rant in full.

/tk
Old 07-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The funniest quote is by Nate Robinson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Robinson
He was trying to take my joy...

Yeah... I can just see Larry Brown sitting up at night devising the perfect scheme to take away his joy...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!

Yeah... I can just see Larry Brown sitting up at night devising the perfect scheme to take away his joy...

Maybe Larry really liked almonds.

sorry.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #16
rowech
Pro Starter

I lost a high school soccer coaching job because I wouldn't coddle. My first year at the school, I brought in a totally different attitude. The players there bought into it and we improved our record from the previous year by 8 wins. I was named coach of the year.

Following year, we graduated many players and watched some young pups try and take the team...they were so bold as to even tell me they wanted to run their own drills instead of mine. Can you imagine? With the increased schedule I sought out to force our young guys to improve we struggled. I was removed with a parent petition.

Following season, using the exact same lineups I had setup, the exact same asst. coaches, etc. the team won districts again. Can't imagine what it's like watching someone else get all of the credit for your work.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!

As someone who followed his college career, let me try and interpret a bit here. Nate is a guy that plays balls to the wall, full-energy and maximum emotion. He's hyper-competitive and as much as any athlete out there feeds off of his emotional state and the emotional state of those around him.

As part of his style of play, he will trash-talk your ears off and he'll go for the spectacular dunk or blocked shot, sometimes eschewing the safer play in favor of the more spectacular one.

That's how he plays, and it's a big part of the reason that he's gotten where he has. There's a very real chance that if you try to mold him into being a completely by the book kind of player that you'll lose the explosiveness that makes him effective. With Nate, you take the things that are bad (some showboating) because that same drive also fuels the good in his game.

Now, I'm not saying that Nate doesn't still have some maturing to do - he definitely does. But I think what Nate was talking about in that quote was the tendency of Brown to yell at Nate for what he considered showboating, and for having a perfectionist coaching personality that doesn't dole out positive reinforcement for things done well. When Nate scored 30-something points against Philly, Brown only chastised Nate for the fact that Iverson had 40-something. Nate is used to a more upbeat coach like Lorenzo Romar who not only criticized the things done wrong but also praised the things done right.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote