Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
mckerney
Coordinator

Unhappy NO!!!!! Why must they do this?

UMinn to extend Mason's contract 2-3 years

Is a 6-3 season all that great a reason to offer him an extension? I'm really hoping I don't have to put up with 5 more seasons of him.

And after this story had given me hope that he wouldn't get the extension:

Agent's call puts Mason on hot seat

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Re: NO!!!!! Why must they do this?

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
Is a 6-3 season all that great a reason to offer him an extension? I'm really hoping I don't have to put up with 5 more seasons of him.

A 6-3 season is like a championship season at Minnesota.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

The one thing I would like to see is Mason with an actually Big 10 budget. His recruiting has been getting better and better. So far this season, he has only lost one top player from the state in Swift and kept Murtha and has a shot at Alrich.

But the problem with replacing Mason is that no one better is going to come here with an off campus stadium and one of the smallest budgets in the Big Ten.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Re: Re: NO!!!!! Why must they do this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Balldog
A 6-3 season is like a championship season at Minnesota.

Not when you take a 21 point lead into the final quarter against Michigan and you have only one win against a quality team.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
But the problem with replacing Mason is that no one better is going to come here with an off campus stadium and one of the smallest budgets in the Big Ten.

Maybe you can, maybe you can't, but Mason has done nothing to warrent getting an extension.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Maybe you can, maybe you can't, but Mason has done nothing to warrent getting an extension.

I don't want to come off as a Mason backer, but do you remember prior to him when 3 wins a solid season. He is taking a team which hasn't done anything since the mid 80's for a few season and prior to that the 60's and turned them into a 8 win team nearly every year with a bowl win.

All I am saying is that Mason might be the best we can get now. No good coach is coming here.

Mason is a prick, but he has been getting it done with what he had.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They could be doing this to help with recruiting, especially if there are stories about him being on the hot seat. Most schools will do this, then just take the hit when it comes time to fire the guy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Can you imagine how different things would be if they would not have blown that 31 point lead vs. Michigan?
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wasabiak
Can you imagine how different things would be if they would not have blown that 31 point lead vs. Michigan?

If they don't lose to Michigan they become a top 10 team, possibly don't come out flat against Michigan State next week, and then who knows.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #10
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If they don't lose to Michigan they become a top 10 team, possibly don't come out flat against Michigan State next week, and then who knows.

That would have been great. Maybe with a beefed up D, and if the JC QB from California is as good as people say, they can make a run next year. And if a couple of the guys out on academics get eligible, things should get better.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

Re: NO!!!!! Why must they do this?

Quote:
Is a 6-3 season all that great a reason to offer him an extension?

I just like to see some people still thining and speaking in terms of the conference.

With all this hoo-hah about mythical national championships, it's easy to lose track of the fact that by and large, college football is a game about playing in your conference and winning your conference.

Top marks, mckerney.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:31 AM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Re: Re: NO!!!!! Why must they do this?

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I just like to see some people still thining and speaking in terms of the conference.

With all this hoo-hah about mythical national championships, it's easy to lose track of the fact that by and large, college football is a game about playing in your conference and winning your conference.

Top marks, mckerney.

Well, conference game and bowl games. There is no way I could justify adding wins over Tulsa, Troy State, UL-Laffayette, and Ohio into the record for the year. Teams in years past at Minnesota could have put up an occasional 8, 9, or 10 win season overall if they were playing teams like this. It's really a simple way to get the highest win total in 90 some years, If Mason had been playing a schedule like some previous Gopher coaches had there's no way he is thought of as a 'success.' Though in his defense, he barely has a losing Big Ten record. All that and he still manages to be an asshole towards the fans, then is dumbfounded by lack of support.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-06-2004 at 03:42 AM.