Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

PING: Runners

I recently started a C25K (Couch to 5k) running program and I'm mostly looking for diet advice like, what to eat before a run, what to avoid, etc. Of course if you guys have any advice for me I'd appreciate it.

thanks in advance.

Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I learned early on to avoid mustard within about 4 hours of a run. Anything spicy obviously.

What time does your run class start? The clinics I'm in usually start at 6:00, meaning we hit the pavement around 6:30 or so. I've found it best to just eat a snack around 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon, and then wait to eat dinner until after the run (ends up being like 8:30 which sucks, but its better than feeling awful while I'm running).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I start about 7 am. Im using an itouch app which notifies me when to run/walk.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post

Ah ok, I just saw your running dynasty as well. I don't run much in the morning, so I'm probably not the best to ask. Most races are in the morning, and I'll usually just drink an iced cappucino an hour or so before when I run those. Probably not a very good model to follow
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Did I miss something? I mean, it wouldn't be surprising or anything as I am usually a day behind the news, but why are you Dodgerchick again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

Don't drink pop. Or alcohol. Or cheese.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Don't drink pop. Or alcohol. Or cheese.

You drink cheese?

Quote:
Old 10-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
You drink cheese?

Wiz.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
PING: Runners

There is no sanctuary.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Wiz.

Huh. Didn't know it was drinkable.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Did I miss something? I mean, it wouldn't be surprising or anything as I am usually a day behind the news, but why are you Dodgerchick again?

No you're not. I didn't want the Lorena name anymore
Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
Celeval
Pro Starter

It's very much a know-your-body sort of thing. For going into a Couch to 5K program, you're not going to need to carb load or anything like that, but make sure you have something - half a bagel or a bagel in the morning is generally a good selection. Empty stomach is no good, but too much will give you trouble.

Generally, having something with protein reasonably soon after the run is good as well. If you do half a bagel before, another half with peanut butter after isn't a bad idea. Chocolate milk, oddly enough, has been popular after runs among some groups lately.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
No you're not. I didn't want the Lorena name anymore

Ok cool.

Quote:
Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

DO NOT, I reapeat, NOT eat a burrito ANYTIME before a run.

/tk, who learned that a Chipotle burrito even 6 hours before a run was too soon
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That app is based on the Cool Runnings program. I found (a long time ago) that it took a BIG leap between weeks 5 and 6 (or was it 4 and 5). If that one gets you frustrated, there's another one out there, popularized by Runner's World, that I found much better (by virtue of how various friends fared with both programs). I've mentioned it here before, I think if you look in some of the previous running threads you'll find it.

Re: food. Keep it simple. If you're not hungry before, don't force yourself to eat anything. Light is better. After, my favorite snacks are things like apple + peanut butter or apple + string cheese. Gets a little protein, some good sugar, etc. Hydration is the bigger key. You don't need Gatorade or anything like that, but make sure you have been drinking water all day, moderate amounts.

/tk
Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #16
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Be sure you have the right shoes. Some people begin running and have foot, leg and even back pain because their shoes are old or the shoes they have are not right for the way they run. It can be expensive to go to a dedicated running store and have your gait analyzed, but it could save you a lot of trouble in the long run.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm just realized you are a morning runner.

Before I go to the gym in the morning (I go at about 5:30 a.m., right after I wake up), I drink water (sometimes Propel) and I eat a granola bar of some sort. Right now, I'm on a Luna bar kick, but I also like the Nature Valley oats & honey and peanut butter bars. Just a little something light in the stomach.

/tk
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #18
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
That app is based on the Cool Runnings program. I found (a long time ago) that it took a BIG leap between weeks 5 and 6 (or was it 4 and 5). If that one gets you frustrated, there's another one out there, popularized by Runner's World, that I found much better (by virtue of how various friends fared with both programs). I've mentioned it here before, I think if you look in some of the previous running threads you'll find it.

Re: food. Keep it simple. If you're not hungry before, don't force yourself to eat anything. Light is better. After, my favorite snacks are things like apple + peanut butter or apple + string cheese. Gets a little protein, some good sugar, etc. Hydration is the bigger key. You don't need Gatorade or anything like that, but make sure you have been drinking water all day, moderate amounts.

/tk

I used cool runnings for a while to do couch to 5K, and instead of an app, I just made a playlist for each week with songs of the right length, so when the song changed, I knew I was supposed to change between running and walking. I don't think I ever got past week 4, since I would start over or go back a week after taking a break. I think path was doing it to for a while.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #19
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
That app is based on the Cool Runnings program. I found (a long time ago) that it took a BIG leap between weeks 5 and 6 (or was it 4 and 5).

/tk

Yeah it's a humongous leap from week 5 and 6. I think it goes from running 8 minutes to a 20!

I like the peanut butter and apples, gonna try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Be sure you have the right shoes. Some people begin running and have foot, leg and even back pain because their shoes are old or the shoes they have are not right for the way they run. It can be expensive to go to a dedicated running store and have your gait analyzed, but it could save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Yeah that's what Ant said too. Got some Nike Air Pegasus that I like a heck of a lot.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
Calis
College Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the Touch app. I never thought of there being one and that's a nice little simplification.

I'm an ex-runner who has become fat and lazy. I have used the Couch to 5k program before to start back in and its a great program. I had a tendency to either overdo it when trying or end up depressed at how poorly I did, but the program sets obtainable goals that still feel like a good progression.

Don't be afraid to repeat a week. If week 5 to 6 seems like a huge jump, go through 5 again. You will definitely see a difference and have an easier time at it.

Heh the problem I had is once I got up to the 5k I lost focus last time. Guess next time I need a 5k to 10k guide.

I will be starting over either tonight or tomorrow, the app was the little push I needed.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #21
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Touch app. I never thought of there being one and that's a nice little simplification.

I'm an ex-runner who has become fat and lazy. I have used the Couch to 5k program before to start back in and its a great program. I had a tendency to either overdo it when trying or end up depressed at how poorly I did, but the program sets obtainable goals that still feel like a good progression.

Don't be afraid to repeat a week. If week 5 to 6 seems like a huge jump, go through 5 again. You will definitely see a difference and have an easier time at it.

Heh the problem I had is once I got up to the 5k I lost focus last time. Guess next time I need a 5k to 10k guide.

I will be starting over either tonight or tomorrow, the app was the little push I needed.

Hmm.. yeah, never considered running the same week twice... I think I'm gonna if it gets too hard.

Glad to hear you're starting up!! I started a The C25K Dynasty (Couch to 5K) - Front Office Football Central, feel free to post in it! My first post shows which app I went with and it's only because of the Facebook/Twitter integration. Antmeister used a different one. I think it might be the one TK mentioned.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

I'd focus more on overall diet and nutrition (including overall hydration), rather than what you do immediately around a run.

On a couch to 5-k plan, the amount of time running is not great enough that nutrition immediately surrounding a run is going to have a huge effect (unless you're doing something really wacky like eating a huge burger and immediately running). Nutrition immediately before or immediately after (or during) a run becomes more important as you build beyond a 30 minute exercise period.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the calorie burn for a 5k is only going to be 400-500 calories. That's great, but beginning runners will often use the fact that they've started running as an excuse for splurging. "I ran this morning, so I can totally have this bagel with extra cream cheese."

Also sports drinks can be a killer. Run a 5-k and then drink a 32 oz. gatorade and you've replaced all of the calories you've burned. There are a lot of low or no calorie alternatives that offer the same amount of electrolyte replacement, to the extent you need it.

Congrats on getting started.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #23
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah it's a humongous leap from week 5 and 6. I think it goes from running 8 minutes to a 20!

That seems like a rather large jump, especially after only 5 weeks. I know in the 'learn to run' (basically couch to 5k) clinic I took the instructor never took us past 10-and-1's (10 minutes running, 1 minute walking), and it took the group about 8 or 9 weeks to get up there. I think I'd be questioning that app, it sounds similar to the '100 pushup challenge' charts where the goals just took wild, often unattainable leaps.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

I would echo what digamma preaches here.

Stick with water - do not go anywhere near sports drinks. They simply aren't necessary unless you are doing long endurance runs of 90 minutes or more (60 minutes if the weather is super hot.)

I really like running on an empty stomach and it doesn't sound like you are doing any runs that are going to require you to refuel during your run. Obviously stay away from really fatty foods and focus on whole grains and fruits and vegetables.

Unless you are on a treadmill, try and avoid running with an iPod.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote