Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Celeval
Pro Starter

[POL] Katherine Harris' comments re: church and state

Stumbled across this via a link from a link... any mitigating explanation later on this? Thoughts from people in Florida?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/....ap/index.html

U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris told a religious journal that separation of church and state is "a lie" and God and the nation's founding fathers did not intend the country be "a nation of secular laws."The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate also said that if Christians are not elected, politicians will "legislate sin," including abortion and gay marriage.

"If you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin," Harris said.

Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Olbermann has a good take on her....

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxAMd3fJzY
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Now you know why us 'Pubs aren't exactly holding our breath that she'll win that Senate seat in Florida. She managed to ride her celebrity from the 2000 election into the HoR, but she's imploded rather spectacularly during this campaign for the Senate. Heck, her chances are nearly as bad of winning as whoever the Republicans nominated in Connecticut (name eludes) and given that Florida is many shades redder than Connecticut, that's saying something.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
"If you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin," Harris said.

I think Bubba has found his soul mate.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Now you know why us 'Pubs aren't exactly holding our breath that she'll win that Senate seat in Florida. She managed to ride her celebrity from the 2000 election into the HoR, but she's imploded rather spectacularly during this campaign for the Senate. Heck, her chances are nearly as bad of winning as whoever the Republicans nominated in Connecticut (name eludes) and given that Florida is many shades redder than Connecticut, that's saying something.

I thought I read that the 'Pubds actually asked that she bow out of the race and the party has distanced itself from her and, perhaps, has gone so far as to disown her. It'd be the smartest thing they could do. She's a whack job.

The fact that she became a "celebrity" in the 2000 election just makes the whole thing even more disgusting. She was over-seeing the recount?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Klinglerware
College Starter

Here's another one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From CNN article
Separation of church and state is "a lie we have been told," Harris said in the interview, published Thursday, saying separating religion and politics is "wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers."

I guess Katherine Harris has nothing to worry about if God controls our elections--unless God hates Katherine Harris, of course
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post

Well, if things don't work out between him and Harris, he's always got this woman:

"There are some people, and I'm one of them, that believe George Bush was placed where he is by the Lord," substitute teacher Clydeen Tomanio said. "I don't care how he governs, I will support him. I'm a Republican through and through."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/....ap/index.html
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
Drake
assmaster

Yeah, it's so much easier to believe that American voters pick their leaders rather than God.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Other than the fact that this is my state of residence, I am really interested in how this race is going to play out. The Republicans including Jeb Bush begged and pleaded for her not to run in the primary. But despite little to no financial support from the national or state Republican war chest, she won rather easily with exit polls showing strong Republican base support. Will the Republican leadership now give her support or will they continue to allow her flounder?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Probably half-hearted support, they know her campaign is dead, she's trailing by 30 points already in a state that's supposedly even
Old 09-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post

Watch out, he might call you a geek too.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, if things don't work out between him and Harris, he's always got this woman:

"There are some people, and I'm one of them, that believe George Bush was placed where he is by the Lord," substitute teacher Clydeen Tomanio said. "I don't care how he governs, I will support him. I'm a Republican through and through."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/....ap/index.html

How many Republicans are the very religious types?

One thing I notice about Harris is she's very "beauty-queen" like. She likes to dress up, with the makeup, and looks like she's had a bit of "work".
Old 09-08-2006, 06:10 PM   #13
Easy Mac

She needs much more
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #14
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Harris' campaign has been imploding for a while now. She was involved in the MZM bribery scandal, most of her campaign staff has quit multiple times, and she is, for lack of a better word, batshit insane. She is getting by mostly on name recognition right now, and most of the Republicans that keep up with events have turned on her.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Stumbled across this via a link from a link... any mitigating explanation later on this? Thoughts from people in Florida?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/....ap/index.html

U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris told a religious journal that separation of church and state is "a lie" and God and the nation's founding fathers did not intend the country be "a nation of secular laws."The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate also said that if Christians are not elected, politicians will "legislate sin," including abortion and gay marriage.

Yes Troll, all christians share the same views as Katherine Harris. We are all horrible, and we will all be drawn out in outrage by your post, especially Bubba the Dipshit.

Nice job Troll.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Yes Troll, all christians share the same views as Katherine Harris. We are all horrible, and we will all be drawn out in outrage by your post, especially Bubba the Dipshit.

Nice job Troll.

????????

Idiot.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #17
Drake
assmaster

Did you just respond to your own post and call yourself an idiot?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #18
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

I have been known to do such things.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

I thought I was having reading problems for a second.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

Nice job Troll.

Um, say what?
Old 09-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Um, say what?

I think he was making a joke, base on his post following it.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #22
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I think he was making a joke, base on his post following it.

That's what I figured too, but wasn't sure.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #23
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm honestly not sure what I was doing either. It was my one allotted night for having more than one beer, so I was a bit fuzzy.

I think I meant both posts I made.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #24
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure what I was doing either. It was my one allotted night for having more than one beer, so I was a bit fuzzy.

I think I meant both posts I made.

Now you didn't go calling Ashley Madison, did you?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #25
Drake
assmaster

I don't know about Schmidty, but at my age, I spend a lot more time calling Dolly Madison than Ashley.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #26
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
especially Bubba the Dipshit.
Quoted for hilarity.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Color me confused

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:44 AM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

Schmidty and i rarely agree and sometimes show extreme prejudice to one another's comments, but god damn, I laughed my ass off over this one.

have another 6 pack dude, you're on a ROLL.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:44 AM   #29
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Here's another one:

I guess Katherine Harris has nothing to worry about if God controls our elections--unless God hates Katherine Harris, of course

Wait, so if God choses our rulers, then if non-Christians are elected is God legislating sin?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote