Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Help need with 16:9 TV and Anamorphic DVDs

Yesterday, I got a brand spanking new Samsung 40" high definition TV. It's quite exciting. The TV has the 16:9 aspect ratio. After playing around with it for a while, everything seems to work, except for DVDs.

The DVDs play, but the widescreen DVDs take up only about a 1/3 of the screen. It looks like they have been letter boxed twice over, e.g., the black bars along the top and bottom are twice as thick.

I did some minor internet searches discovered this is bound to happen with plain old letterboxed DVDs, but apparently "anamorphic widescreen" DVDs are supposed to be able to "sense" a 16:9 screen and expand to fill it/adjust. I am pretty sure the DVD I was playing (the extended version of "Two Towers") is an "anamorphic widescreen" DVD (at least Amazon.com tells me so), but yet it still had the "double thick" black lines.

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to get it to work properly?

As always, thanks in advance.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
General Mike
Pro Starter

Don;t buy widescreen DVDs with a 16:9 screen no matter what anyone tells you.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike

This comment confuses me (i don't have a 16:9 screen)...

If you dont' by widescreen, isn't it going to cut off the sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

If I'm going to either lose the sides on a widescreen TV where not much is going on, or have huge black bars taking up the top and bottom of the screen, I'd rather lose the sides.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

More explanation please.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
If I'm going to either lose the sides on a widescreen TV where not much is going on, or have huge black bars taking up the top and bottom of the screen, I'd rather lose the sides.

You're out of your mind. Watching anything but a widescreen release is simply not an option.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
You're out of your mind. Watching anything but a widescreen release is simply not an option.

Agreed 100%. I buy nothing but widescreen and they look fantastic on my Sony 34" Widescreen HDTV.

Check the settings on your DVD player. Make sure the DVD player knows you have a 16:9 TV hooked up to it.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Umm...

You're losing some significant stuff there sometimes.

You probably buy letterbox on a 4:3 also, don't you?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Check the settings on your DVD player. Make sure the DVD player knows you have a 16:9 TV hooked up to it.

Thanks! I actually just found my DVD player's manual online and saw where I could do that. It will be the first thing I try when I get home from work.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Umm...

You're losing some significant stuff there sometimes.

Absolutely.

http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml
Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Thanks! I actually just found my DVD player's manual online and saw where I could do that. It will be the first thing I try when I get home from work.

That's most likely the problem. If it's set to 4:3 it's sending a widescreen image to the tv as a 4:3 signal which is why you're getting the double conversion issue. (16:9 tv, showing a 4:3 image of a 16:9 movie)

There's no way I would watch anything other than a widescreen DVD on a widescreen TV. On some movies you'll still have small bars on the top and bottom, but they're pretty insignificant compared to the huge bars you'd have on the sides with a 4:3 format DVD (once you get the DVD player settings corrected).

Last edited by Bee : 04-20-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Umm, if you have things set up right, you don't lose the tops and bottoms when watching widescreen movies on a widescreen set.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Honolulu_Blue

that the DLP one right?

I was thinking of getting the 40 or 50 " soon too. I really like that TV.

My brother in law has the 50" but for some reason he is getting that same thick black bar on top, bottom and side when not viewing HDTV. When viewing HDTV it looks great.

Is there a setting he needs to do to view non HDTV without getting that thick black bar?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yesterday, I got a brand spanking new Samsung 40" high definition TV. It's quite exciting.

The Southeast Oakland County FOFC contingent is patiently waiting for an invite to watch Wings playoff games.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #15
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This is completely wrong. If you buy a full screen DVD with a 16:9 TV, you will get a picture that is stretched sideways and is still missing info on the sides of the screen. Widescreen DVDs may have the black bars if the movie was shot at an aspect ration that wasn't 16x9 and the DVD is not anamorphic, but you will get the whole picture and smaller bars than a regular 4:3 TV.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Honolulu_Blue

that the DLP one right?

I was thinking of getting the 40 or 50 " soon too. I really like that TV.

My brother in law has the 50" but for some reason he is getting that same thick black bar on top, bottom and side when not viewing HDTV. When viewing HDTV it looks great.

Is there a setting he needs to do to view non HDTV without getting that thick black bar?

It's the LCD one.

I haven't noticed any thick black bars when watching anything other than a DVD. For cable, on some stations, I have bars on the left and right, but I think that's pretty standard since most non-HD stations broadcast in the 4:3 ratio. Some of those stations fill the entire screen, but I don't think they look perfectly right. They are a bit stretched.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #17
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's the LCD one.

I haven't noticed any thick black bars when watching anything other than a DVD. For cable, on some stations, I have bars on the left and right, but I think that's pretty standard since most non-HD stations broadcast in the 4:3 ratio. Some of those stations fill the entire screen, but I don't think they look perfectly right. They are a bit stretched.

You are going to have to compromise on the non-widescreen broadcasts. You can have the bars on the side, or you will get a stretched picture. Most TVs will have multiple stretching option, and you'll probably fine one you like.

For the DVD problem, you probably do have to set the DVD player to 16:9 mode. The problem you describe sounds like the player is trying to output to a 4:3 TV.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 AM   #18
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Umm, if you have things set up right, you don't lose the tops and bottoms when watching widescreen movies on a widescreen set.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but not all movies are in the exact 16:9 ratio (or 1.7777777:1). I think the LOTR movies, especially, are in some odd 2.35:1 kind of ratio, which would tend to give bars even on a 16:9 screen...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-20-2006 at 09:48 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #19
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but not all movies are in the exact 16:9 ratio (or 1.7777777:1). I think the LOTR movies, especially, are in some odd 2.35:1 kind of ratio, which would tend to give bars even on a 16:9 screen...

Yes, but they aren't very big bars, at least compared to what you'd get on a 4:3 TV. They just aren't nearly as noticable or as big a deal as they were on my old 4:3 TV.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #20
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
You are going to have to compromise on the non-widescreen broadcasts. You can have the bars on the side, or you will get a stretched picture. Most TVs will have multiple stretching option, and you'll probably fine one you like.

I really can't stand the stretched look at all. On my projection TV screen, I have curtains that I shift in for extensive 4:3 viewing. You don't notice the bars that way and the image is still around 90" or so.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #21
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Yes, but they aren't very big bars, at least compared to what you'd get on a 4:3 TV. They just aren't nearly as noticable or as big a deal as they were on my old 4:3 TV.

oh, I agree, and I'm pro-widescreen. I was more pointing out that there could be movies that will have black bars, even on a widescreen TV.

That was nitpicky, but that's how I am

FM
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #22
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I really can't stand the stretched look at all. On my projection TV screen, I have curtains that I shift in for extensive 4:3 viewing. You don't notice the bars that way and the image is still around 90" or so.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
oh, I agree, and I'm pro-widescreen. I was more pointing out that there could be movies that will have black bars, even on a widescreen TV.

That was nitpicky, but that's how I am

FM

You were correct in your original point. Widescreen/HDTVs are 16:9. Movies are almost always 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #24
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Man, I think I have the same problem with my DVDs/new TV as well. I could get around it somewhat using zoom, but then you get picture degradation.

I need to look for this when I get home, but I could have sworn I already did. Maybe it means I need to upgrade from my RCA Divx player I got at a big discount when RCA abandoned the whole Divx plan.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #25
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Man, I think I have the same problem with my DVDs/new TV as well. I could get around it somewhat using zoom, but then you get picture degradation.

I need to look for this when I get home, but I could have sworn I already did. Maybe it means I need to upgrade from my RCA Divx player I got at a big discount when RCA abandoned the whole Divx plan.

I'm still bitter about the whole Divx fiasco and refuse to shop at Circuit City to this day because of it.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #26
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

I can understand this thought. It really depends for me on the stretching design. The Full Mode (just strech sideways) isn't terrible, but it does make everything too wide. The wide strech that zooms the whole picture a little bit and cuts off just a bit of the top and bottom works pretty well as long as you aren't watching anything with a scoreboard on top or a ticker on the bottom. The one that really bothers me is the stretch mode that stretches more on the outside of the picture than it does in the middle. It gives the objects on the screen a weird shifting motion.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #27
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Is a progressive htmi dvd player great for a HDTV?

Will there be a big difference from a standard dvd player when viewing?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #28
Raiders Army
Coordinator

WS is the only way to go. TV viewing will come onboard in a few years. I usually watch 4:3 shows in "Standard". Some stretching, but not bad at all once you get used to it. We bought our 16:9 TV six years ago after I had seen how they work when we went out to the field (we had 2 16:9 Plasmas in our TOC). What finally sold me was how regular 4:3 TV looked. Nothing noticeably different.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well I'm late to party, but I'll nod in agreement. It sounds like a DVD setting that hasn't been changed. Make sure it is on 16:9 mode. And if you don't have a Progressive Scan DVD player, you may want to think about getting one.

And widescreen is the ONLY way to go. It's hard to watch non-Hi-Def TV after witnessing the glory of 16:9 programming. Though I don't streach 4:3 programming. I leave it as normal. I like watching things in the aspect ratio they came in.

Oh, and yes, some DVDs will give you small black bars on top and bottom, because it isn't exactly at 16:9 aspect ratio. Not a big deal, however.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thanks for all the replies/advice, fellas!