Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
NewIdentity
High School JV

Why is the new 3D so bad?

IT completely sucks!

Today's new digital 3D is maybe good for 1 or 2 feet of depth perception, but it is terrible compared to old fashioned 3D.

I saw Bolt and UP in 3d and thought something was wrong. I remember the 3D at my local Imax that made me feel like I was actually moving, the 3D productions at Disney World made you feel like you could actually reach out and grab things as they came spinning at your head. Hell, even the old 50s and 60s 3D had people dodging left and right to try and avoid things coming at them.

Why is this new Digital 3D a joke compared to 3D that my grand parents watched. Why has 3D taken such a giant step backwards?

NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like you are building a foundation on why G Force will suck.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't seen Bolt, but Up really had little 3D in it. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in it's trailer alone seemed to have previewed more 3D than Up did as a movie. Even though 3D has been around for ages, it's only coming back more recently so I think movie makers have to rethink how to use it to pull it off to make it meaningful. Oh, Coraline actually did a really good job of using 3D in it.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Atocep
Coordinator

I'll take the new 3d only because the glasses don't make you look quite as stupid.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I saw Corraline 3D and it was absolutely fantastic. Blew the old 3D out of the water.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

ITS ALL AN ILLUSION DONT FALL FOR THE HYPE ITS REALLY 2D THEY ARE LYING TO YOU
Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I saw Corraline 3D and it was absolutely fantastic. Blew the old 3D out of the water.

I really liked Coraline in 3D

Another movie I really liked in 3D "recently" was Journey to the Center of the Earth last year. The movie was "meh" at best, but the 3D effects were great

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
clemsonfan
High School JV

What's with all the new kids movies coming out in 3D? Is it just a ploy to make us pay more for admission? I strongly suspect it is.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Well duh...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

On a side note has anyone tried NVIDIA3d for their PC?

I have some money to spend and I wonder if it's worth it to someone who plays a lot of computer games.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
What's with all the new kids movies coming out in 3D? Is it just a ploy to make us pay more for admission? I strongly suspect it is.

I think they're trying to create an experience that you can't get at home.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think they're trying to create an experience that you can't get at home.

That won't be the case much longer. 3D formatted movies are expected to be available summer/fall 2010 on Blu-ray. The disc capacity is sufficient enough now to make that happen.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
the 3D productions at Disney World made you feel like you could actually reach out and grab things as they came spinning at your head.

Muppet Show 3D Theater FTW!!!!!!!
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm not a big fan of 3D movies just because you always lose a little bit of clarity / detail with it. But yeah they are pushing it to be something "new".
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
Huckleberry
College Starter

I'm curious how old you are. My initial thought is that you are in your late 20s. The reason? I think you're nuts.

Today's 3D is vastly superior to the 3d from yesteryear. It's not even really close. That's my personal opinion, of course, based on my own experiences. Maybe I am remembering wrong and you are correct, but I would bet on the side of your nostalgia getting the best of you.

I have seen every animated movie available in 3D recently and the technology is light years ahead of the previous technology. I'm not even saying this right, I'm sure, I am just completely dumbfounded that someone thinks the opposite.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
I'm not even saying this right, I'm sure, I am just completely dumbfounded that someone thinks the opposite.

We have people here who can't tell the difference between SD and HD. Nothing surprises me anymore...
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
I'm curious how old you are. My initial thought is that you are in your late 20s. The reason? I think you're nuts.

Today's 3D is vastly superior to the 3d from yesteryear. It's not even really close. That's my personal opinion, of course, based on my own experiences. Maybe I am remembering wrong and you are correct, but I would bet on the side of your nostalgia getting the best of you.

I have seen every animated movie available in 3D recently and the technology is light years ahead of the previous technology. I'm not even saying this right, I'm sure, I am just completely dumbfounded that someone thinks the opposite.

+1 on all of this. I dont think you can just label it "a personal opinion", its patently a better technology a 1000x over.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
We have people here who can't tell the difference between SD and HD. Nothing surprises me anymore...

+1
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I highly enjoy the modern 3D technology. Not only are the glasses better, the the picture is great. So not all movies have things that come flying out at you, that is not what I enjoy about it. I enjoy the fact that it simply adds depth to the movie. In almost all scenes you can perceive actual depth to something that is simply on a screen. That little extra detail really bounces out to me when I watch a movie. Maybe that is the difference of opinion here and not the actual technology. Person A wants things flying at him or he doesn't care about 3D, Person B doesn't need the flying things but appreciates what the extra "depth" adds to the movie experience. Older 3D did not add the same overall effect that today's 3D does, which is why I enjoy it much more.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Well duh...

+1
Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I generally do not like 3D movies, they typically give me a headache. For a long time, I've had a theory that the 3D just doesn't work well for some people owing to variations in eyes and the like. Like, my friends can pass around a pair of binoculars and use them without adjustment, but I very often have to adjust the diopter on them, which then irritates the other people.

For me, it seems to require a lot more to focus on the 3D, which is why I think I get headaches.

I never used to have that problem with the old 3D, though...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote