Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One Small Change to NFL Overtime

I don't really think that NFL overtime is broken. Sudden death is awesome, and teams that win the toss tend to win the game about 1/2 the time. So, not much to fix.

That said, after the Indy/SD game, I thought of one small change that might make things a bit easier for the coin-toss losing team. Instead of a standard kickoff to start overtime, make it a free kick from midfield. Kicking team choice over a punt or a kickoff.

That would make it much more likely that the receiving team gets pinned inside the 20 and would at least force the offense to drive down the field to kick the winning field goal.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

First to score six.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I don't really think that NFL overtime is broken. Sudden death is awesome, and teams that win the toss tend to win the game about 1/2 the time. So, not much to fix.

That said, after the Indy/SD game, I thought of one small change that might make things a bit easier for the coin-toss losing team. Instead of a standard kickoff to start overtime, make it a free kick from midfield. Kicking team choice over a punt or a kickoff.

That would make it much more likely that the receiving team gets pinned inside the 20 and would at least force the offense to drive down the field to kick the winning field goal.

While I see your point here (especially as a Colts fan), I think that you need to recognize the return game as a vital part of the NFL game. The easy solution to the problem for the Colts would be to, you know, stop Sproles at some point in the game. They couldn't, and they paid for it.

I still think that down the road (and by down the road, this could be 10-20 years) kickoffs may be eliminated. It seems like a VERY large majority of serious neck injuries come from kickoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Interesting point, Wade. If it is true that kickoffs lead to more serious injuries than other plays, I would hope that the NFL considers eliminating them.

I think that a free kick from midfield has the advantage of keeping special teams as part of the overtime. It is a different type of special teams play than a kickoff--but it still forces the teams to play at least one kicking play in overtime.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Interesting point, Wade. If it is true that kickoffs lead to more serious injuries than other plays, I would hope that the NFL considers eliminating them.

I haven't done/seen a serious study on it, but from my recollection in the NFL all of the "career ending" neck injuries of the past 5 years or so have been on kick coverage. You have a recipe for disaster with the high speed that these guys get up to before their collisions, often not seeing it coming, etc, etc.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I still think only two changes really need to be made in the NFL that would make it immensely better game.

1. In overtime, the team that scores should have to kick off (or maybe a free kick!) and the opposing team then must score a TD to win. If the 1st score is a TD, then the next score would be a TD + 2pt. The game would always end on a football play, instead of how many we see on a 2nd down 45 yard FG. We got lucky the other night with Sproles actually scoring, but how much would you have wanted to see Manning with one chance to win or lose?)

2. Realign to 4 divisions with 8 teams each. Winning a division gives you the bye-week. The wild card round is just that, wild card teams
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
First to score six.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
First to score six.

Hope you like ties.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The reason for everyone getting up in arms over FGs was that they moved kickoffs back to reduce touchbacks in an effort to generate more scoring by allowing the receiving team to start further advanced. This impacted OT by giving the team that receives the ball a shorter distance to go to get into FG range.

How about the OT kickoff going back up to the 35?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Tigercat
College Starter

60%+ winning percentage by those who win the toss is too high. Add in the fact that sudden death overtime goes against the basic way football is set up (team that loses possession choice in the first half gets it in the second half to ensure time and chances for each team to score on offense.)

Sudden death is as gimmicky as the college system, with less payoff and a greater chance that the better team will lose.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
While I see your point here (especially as a Colts fan), I think that you need to recognize the return game as a vital part of the NFL game. The easy solution to the problem for the Colts would be to, you know, stop Sproles at some point in the game. They couldn't, and they paid for it.

I still think that down the road (and by down the road, this could be 10-20 years) kickoffs may be eliminated. It seems like a VERY large majority of serious neck injuries come from kickoffs.

Not to mention all those dumb penalties.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

At first I thought the OT system the CFL adopted was stupid (each team gets 3 possessions, all starting from the same place on the field I believe), but I've grown to like it in comparison to most of the other scenarios (including the existing NFL sudden death rules).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Hope you like ties.

Yep. http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_11_08_04.html

Ties would increase from 9% to 12%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
60%+ winning percentage by those who win the toss is too high.

That an accurate figure? I thought it was much lower. Or does that include teams that win the toss, don't score, but go on to win later?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Or does that include teams that win the toss, don't score, but go on to win later?

Yup. Last I saw it, it was 62% win eventually after winning the toss.

Last edited by Tigercat : 01-05-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
MJ4H
Coordinator

It should. That team gets one more possession than the other team in both cases, which is an advantage.

Also be careful assuming that 50% coin-flip winner winning and losing means everything is fine. There are lots of really poor ways to decide the game that would also get pretty close to 50%.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

They should run for the ball at midfield. Winner is the player that gets to it first.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
They should run for the ball at midfield. Winner is the player that gets to it first.
I'm liking this. The XFL tried it (for a while) to determine first possession of the game, but the NFL doing this to decide a winner? EPIC.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm liking this. The XFL tried it (for a while) to determine first possession of the game, but the NFL doing this to decide a winner? EPIC.

Can you imagine the Super Bowl heading into overtime, with Willie Parker and Derrick Ward lined up at opposing end zones ready to give it all?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #19
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

NFL Overtime IS broken. There is a good chance that one team doesn't even get to see the ball in overtime. Imagine extra innings in baseball if the team scores in the top half and the other team doesn't get their at-bat? What is the solution? Not sure, first to 6 points works. Or eliminate ties, give each team one possession, if no winner is decided then go to the current system. If Team A kicks a field goal, does team B kick the field goal on 4th and 1 and take their chances in sudden death or do they try for the win? Would be interesting.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

The defense can't score in baseball.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I keep hearing the "first to 6" coming from the same media pundits who thought the SDO/IND game was a travesty, even though SDO won it with 6...
Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Not to mention all those dumb penalties.

Yup. Colts cannot blame OT rules on this loss.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I keep hearing the "first to 6" coming from the same media pundits who thought the SDO/IND game was a travesty, even though SDO won it with 6...

A great point, of course it's overlooked.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

How about instead of a coin toss, the home team automatically gets the ball first (or gets the choice, if someone wants to kickoff first...). It would add an extra element to home field advantage, especially in the playoffs.

For the Super Bowl, you could have a special OT rule that says both teams get at least 1 possession.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #25
MikeVic
Head Coach

Or make it like soccer.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #26
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Re: First to 6 points: It does not really affect things other than neatness, but the OCD among us would have problems reading a boxscore that noted that the game ended in a 17-14 tie.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-05-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #27
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

As far as the six point thing goes, personally I would tell them to keep playing until there's a winner. I'm sure that that would never work, of course, but I see no reason for ties in the NFL.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #28
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Re: First to 6 points: It does not really affect things other than neatness, but the OCD among us would have problems reading a boxscore that noted that the game ended in a 17-14 tie.

hahaha
Old 01-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just keep playing until there is a winner. Have a timed overtime like basketball. Or one possession of regular play with no running clock.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #30
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The problem with making too many changes is that right now there is a big decision: go for the win or the tie? If you try to make OT "fair", you remove the desire to go for the win at the end of the game.

Move the kickoff back up 5 yards for more touchbacks and make people earn the points. That's it.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Touchdowns (not field goals) made after the 2 minute warning in both quarters are worth 10 points, instead of 6.

hehe..if we're just gonna wreck the sport..let's.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #32
MikeVic
Head Coach

That would screw a lot with fantasy.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #33
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
That would screw a lot with fantasy.

oh NO
Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #34
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
oh NO

Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #35
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I've argued for a "win by four" rule, which I guess is similar to "first to six".

But it wouldn't be hard to say "or, whoever is ahead after 15 minutes" to eliminate the "17-14 tie" situations.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No. My concept of first to 6 would have the winner be the team leading at the end of the 15 minute overtime. But simply that the game could not end on a first drive field goal like it can now. I really have no problem with it ending on a first drive TD.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #37
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
How about instead of a coin toss, the home team automatically gets the ball first (or gets the choice, if someone wants to kickoff first...). It would add an extra element to home field advantage, especially in the playoffs.

If you are going to continue to do sudden death, I think this idea is much better than a coin flip. At least you are emphasizing something other than dumb luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #38
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's fine the way it is. If a team can't stop another offense, they don't deserve to win. Each team has 60 regulation minutes to get a lead. I don't feel sorry if they can't win it in overtime.

Yes it's not perfect, but it's still determined on the field.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #39
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

I haven't heard "first to 6" very often with the media, all I've heard so far is that "It wasn't fair to Manning" and that he should have gotten the ball.

I think the NFL has two concerns about changing the overtime system. One, it would screw up the stats - they obviously can't do anything like the college system. And two, they like to keep their games as close as possible within the 3 hour window - that's important to TV.

The home team getting the ball first makes a lot of sense, if they want to keep the system as is.

Last edited by molson : 01-05-2009 at 07:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #40
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
No. My concept of first to 6 would have the winner be the team leading at the end of the 15 minute overtime. But simply that the game could not end on a first drive field goal like it can now. I really have no problem with it ending on a first drive TD.

Does that really fix the problem though? Won't the team with the ball first still have an advantage? It won't be as easy, but it's still an advantage.

I would be OK with each team being guaranteed one possesion. I don't think that changes much.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-05-2009 at 07:24 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #41
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does that really fix the problem though? Won't the team with the ball first still have an advantage? It won't be as easy, but it's still an advantage.

I don't know if there's a system that wouldn't give one team a advantage. Even in the college system, you want to go last (does anybody know what the stats for W/L in that system)?

Obviously, in the first-to-six-point system, you'd want the ball first. But once you have it, you better score a TD, or you give the advantage up. Obviously that's a much smaller advantage. If you give that advantage to the home team, I think you have the closest thing you can have resembling "fair".

Last edited by molson : 01-05-2009 at 07:39 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #42
adubroff
High School JV

I think they should change it to a bidding system for the first possesion in overtime, rather than a coin flip. Each coach can make a bid as to where they would allow the other team to kick off from, whomever has chosen to take a greater challenge gets the ball first. If they bid a tie, it goes to the home team.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #43
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
I think they should change it to a bidding system for the first possesion in overtime, rather than a coin flip. Each coach can make a bid as to where they would allow the other team to kick off from, whomever has chosen to take a greater challenge gets the ball first. If they bid a tie, it goes to the home team.

That's a pretty cool and innovative idea.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #44
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Two men enter. One man leaves.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #45
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
(especially as a Colts fan)

*scratches head*

When did you jump off the Redskins wagon?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #46
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Realign to 4 divisions with 8 teams each. Winning a division gives you the bye-week. The wild card round is just that, wild card teams

I think this would be a great way to eliminate the situations where an 8 win team goes to the playoffs while an 11 win team goes home. How would the regular season schedule work though? You obviously couldn't play every team in your division twice. It could negatively impact division rivalries.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #47
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
*scratches head*

When did you jump off the Redskins wagon?

Colts are my #2 team.

I'm a Vols fan, so I started by rooting for Peyton, then just came to like the Colts as a team.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #48
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
I think this would be a great way to eliminate the situations where an 8 win team goes to the playoffs while an 11 win team goes home. How would the regular season schedule work though? You obviously couldn't play every team in your division twice. It could negatively impact division rivalries.

I dont understand the issue with this. It's like the NCAA's. Win your conference(division in NFL) and you're in. Otherwise you have to qualify for an at-large bid. Division schedules are 87.5% identical.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #49
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
I dont understand the issue with this. It's like the NCAA's. Win your conference(division in NFL) and you're in. Otherwise you have to qualify for an at-large bid. Division schedules are 87.5% identical.

I agree. It's an issue this year because those teams won "weak" divisions, when the rule is there for teams that go 8-8 in a "strong" division that beats up on itself.

I think the real problem is the inter-conference scheduling which dates to pre-TV days so you had an opportunity to see players you wouldn't otherwise. With true fans that care about who they see being priced out of stadiums anyway, they should just cut this and keep all 16 games in conference for a more (but not completely) balanced schedule within a conference. 6 games in division, 8 more against 2 other divisions, final 2 matched up against last conference. NFC/AFC don't play until the Super Bowl to crown a champ. Or go to two 8-team divisions in each conference, play 14 games within division, 2 at-large against other division (based on prior season's records).

The current setup of 4 4-team conferences with 4 games against the other conference creates these weird standings scenarios among wildcard teams with very different schedules.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #50
JediKooter
Coordinator

The overtime rule is fine as it is. Had the Colts won, there wouldn't have been any discussion about it at all.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote