Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Unhappy RIP Jim McKay

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3430672

Quote:
Jim McKay, 86, a longtime television sports journalist, has died of natural causes in Maryland, according to a statement from the McKay family.

McKay is best known for hosting ABC's "Wide World of Sports" and 12 Olympic Games.

McKay won numerous awards for journalism, including two Emmys and the George Polk Award for his sports and news coverage of the 1972 Munich Olympics.

In 1988, McKay was inducted into the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Zelig
Mascot

Loved him. When I was a kid, I just loved him. Especially the Triple Crown and the Olympics. He always made them exciting. I must be getting old. People are dropping like flies.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
George
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
Loved him. When I was a kid, I just loved him. Especially the Triple Crown and the Olympics. He always made them exciting. I must be getting old. People are dropping like flies.

+1
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post

+2

I loved him on Wide World of Sports. If I remember right, he did Evil Kneivel's Snake River Canyon jump.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Mike1409
High School Varsity

+3 He was the voice of the olympics for me as a child.

One last time. "The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat!" RIP
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
cuervo72
Head Coach

Fitting, in a way. RIP Mr. McKay.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

The contrast between the way Jim McKay handled the Munich Olympics tragedy and the way I think it would be handled by some of the on air talent today is terrifying to me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The contrast between the way Jim McKay handled the Munich Olympics tragedy and the way I think it would be handled by some of the on air talent today is terrifying to me.

"They're gone. They're all gone."

Sadly, this is the first thing I think of when I think of Jim McKay. I've always liked sports guys who don't try to put themselves above the action. McKay always made sure the focus was on the athletes.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
saldana
Pro Starter

personally, i was pretty angry with espn for leading off with the belmont last night instead of this....the intro to Wild World of Sports was the first part of the tease/intro, but when they came into the actual hosts, they mentioned it, and then sequed to big brown, and then went back to mckay second.

no way jim mckay should not have been the top story.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
"They're gone. They're all gone."

Sadly, this is the first thing I think of when I think of Jim McKay. I've always liked sports guys who don't try to put themselves above the action. McKay always made sure the focus was on the athletes.

I watched a documentary about that situation. Great stuff and they put most of McKay's live comments into the documentary. He did a great job.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote