Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

2016 Olympics...

The destination gets announced tomorrow morning, and admittedly I've gotten a bit caught up in the excitement. Now I know there are a lot of people who have economic concerns about whether it's the right thing to do, but selfishly I would love to showcase the city of Chicago in front of the world in 2016.

From what I have been reading, Rio has the slight lead on Chicago as of now with Madrid in 3rd and Tokyo in a distant 4th.

Anyone else even care?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Schmidty
Coordinator

Good Lord. I'll be 41.

My life is ending soon.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd definitely like to see it come to Chicago. I have some concerns that some stuff in government will get overlooked, but I think this is a great way to showcase the city and build up the infrastructure. Will probably cost some tax money, but can't get over how cool it would be to have an Olympics in my hometown.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'd like to see it go to Rio...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, I think it comes down to Rio or Chi-town. If the IOC can get past the crime issues in Brazil, then Rio gets the nod. FIFA looked past that same issue and awarded the World Cup to South Africa, so there is a bit of precedence there. Also a lot of pressure exists to award an Olympics to South America. That might win out, since NBC will still be able to show the premier events live, since there isn't a big time zone difference.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. i'd really like to see it opened up to south america

we've already had enough olympics lately.

and frankly illinois-politics is so dirty it'd just be a den of graft and corruption

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-01-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

From what I have been reading, Rio has the slight lead on Chicago as of now with Madrid in 3rd and Tokyo in a distant 4th.

Anyone else even care?

Really? The vibe I've been getting is that Chicago holds a slight lead because of Obama showing up, Rio's crime issues, and that the World Cup is happening two years earlier.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

obama showing up doesn't mean diddly. every country's president that is in contention shows up to lobby for it. it's a non-story.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Online gambling sites still have Chicago as the favorite.

odsschecker.com link

I'm rooting for Chicago, if they don't get it then I hope it's Rio since their time zone is close to mine. Western Europe shouldn't get two in a row and East Asia shouldn't get two out of three imo.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm pretty torn as an Illinois resident. Would it be cool to have it in Chicago, sure. But we can't afford to support our educational system, taxes have been rising at a fairly steady rate w/o having to support something like this, and I'm never sure that the long-term payoff is worth it. Rio has a pretty big claim to 'need' the Olympics and that fact that South America has never had one, this is a good opportunity to fix that.

Ultimately, I think Chicago wins out, as it would end up being an Obama showcase as well as 2016 would represent his last year in office if he gets a second term.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 10-01-2009 at 10:45 PM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, Rio deserves it. But that said, if Chicago doesn't get it after pulling out all of the stops like they have, the President will take another hit for a news cycle as a result.

But yeah, it's crazy that South America hasn't hosted an Olympics, they'll get a World Cup in 2014 in Brazil for the first time since Argentina got to host, so Brazil will have World Cup/Olympics in a two-year turnaround.

That'll either be a great dress rehearsal or the thought will emerge that's too much too soon.

Here's some handicapping sites for this stuff. I didn't realize people were this into Olympic bidding:

GamesBids.com - BidIndex
http://www.aroundtherings.com/Defaul...rticleid=30515
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Rio has the South America thing going for them as I'm sure it's an untapped source that the IOC would love to get into. It's also still tecnically in our time zone so TV rights won't suffer too much.

The problem with passing on Chicago though is that it means a long time before the U.S. gets an Olympic Games. The USOC has stated already that they are not going to put together a bid for 2020. The IOC would have also rejected bids from both New York and Chicago, which probably shoots down two of the best spots in the U.S. for a Summer Games. We'd be looking at 2024 before the game had a shot at coming back to the country which seems to be a long time to pass up on your biggest revenue source. You have to wonder if large sponsors start cutting back considering the Olympics have lost some steam over the past decade in this country.

It'll be interesting to see. I think Chicago will get it as I don't think Obama would have gone to Copenhagen unless he had some inside information that our shot was good. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Rio come up, and while disappointed, could look on the bright side and not have to worry about this topic dominating the city for the next 7 years.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Rio has the South America thing going for them as I'm sure it's an untapped source that the IOC would love to get into. It's also still tecnically in our time zone so TV rights won't suffer too much.

The problem with passing on Chicago though is that it means a long time before the U.S. gets an Olympic Games. The USOC has stated already that they are not going to put together a bid for 2020. The IOC would have also rejected bids from both New York and Chicago, which probably shoots down two of the best spots in the U.S. for a Summer Games. We'd be looking at 2024 before the game had a shot at coming back to the country which seems to be a long time to pass up on your biggest revenue source. You have to wonder if large sponsors start cutting back considering the Olympics have lost some steam over the past decade in this country.

It'll be interesting to see. I think Chicago will get it as I don't think Obama would have gone to Copenhagen unless he had some inside information that our shot was good. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Rio come up, and while disappointed, could look on the bright side and not have to worry about this topic dominating the city for the next 7 years.

obama going has nothign to do with "inside info." the presidents of every nation in contention are there to lobby for their countries.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Big difference in Obama and the leader of Brazil. It does look bad for Obama's image if he goes and they don't get it. Probably shouldn't, but it does eliminate some of that international prestige that he has. I just think with all that is going on in this country, he probably wanted to make sure that Chicago's bid had a relatively good shot if he attended. I don't think he makes the trip if we're sitting in the position Tokyo is in.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

tony blair went in order to get it for london.

i disagree with you. the leader of the country going to lobby for it has essentially become a necessity in recent years. the fact that he went doesn't mean that chicago has any sort of "inside track" on it
Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #16
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
obama showing up doesn't mean diddly. every country's president that is in contention shows up to lobby for it. it's a non-story.

They've said it's a big deal because he was the first U.S. President to show up. And CNN says the "experts" say that gives Chicago an edge.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope it's in Rio or Chicago. Im really more concerned about the time zone than anything else. Actually Rio might even be better cause then somewhere in America(NYC?) would have to be a near lock for 2020.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #18
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Am I the only one who finds it REALLY hard to get excited about the olympics?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

couldn't care less
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #20
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I hope for Chicago. Let Rio get it for 2020.

One thing I would love to see in my lifetime is a Detroit/Windsor Olympics. I know that Detroit is in no shape now, nor will it be for some time. The prospect of an Olympics hosted in two countries simultaneously, with just the river between may cause logistical problems but it sure sounds nice.

I think the Olympic games have lost something since they stopped having the complete 4 year cycle. It seemed more special when they both happened, then you had to wait.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I actually prefer the split winter/summer.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #22
Schmidty
Coordinator

The only reason I would care if Chicago got it is because Southwest Michigan, namely my hometown of Kalamazoo, might get some economic benefit as far as lodging and such.

It's kind of like here in Bellingham. The Winter Olympics are in Vancouver in 2010, and this town has been booked up since last winter. And we're about an hour away and in a different country.

Other than the benefit to my home state, I couldn't give a flying fuck if Chicago gets it. Actually, that's not true. It would be cool for the midwest to get something for once.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I actually prefer the split winter/summer.

I do as well. I still get beyond giddy when they roll around and find myself immersed in sports I would ordinarily never watch.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #24
MrBug708
Head Coach

Would have liked them in Los Angeles, but I have a cousin who lives in Chicago so I have a place to stay! (And with Neuq!)
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I call Hoopguys couch!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #26
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I hate the city of Chicago, so give it to Rio.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:02 AM   #27
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think my only selfish interest is that watching live Olympics is easier to do when it's in the Western Hemisphere, to avoid wacky time differentials. Since that seems to be a done deal, I don't much care between Rio and Chicago.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #28
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I call Hoopguys couch!

The current couch is no good for sleeping, but we have an excellent futon. Now what kind of exorbitant rate should I charge you and Saldana (oops, Molly)?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm rooting for Rio! Go South America!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

Even though my interest in the Olympics is nearly non-existant, I hope Chicago gets it. Nice boost for the economy, nice showcase for a great city. Chicago kicks NYC's butt in my book.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #31
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Chicago kicks NYC's butt in my book.
But New York is better in the clutch.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #32
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm waiting for RomaGoth's verdict on that.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #33
Galaxy
Coordinator

Any place to watch the announcement live?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #34
spleen1015
Coordinator

Does anyone know what time today the voting takes place?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Does anyone know what time today the voting takes place?

ESPN just said that the "final presentations" start in the next hour and an announcement is expected between 12-1PM Eastern time.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #36
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
ESPN just said that the "final presentations" start in the next hour and an announcement is expected between 12-1PM Eastern time.

Thank you sir!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #37
airulf
H.S. Freshman Team

Just out of curiosity, what kind of coverage is Copenhagen and Denmark getting in the US?

In Denmark, the Chicago and Rio have been given most air time. Obamas visit was covered minute by minute on all major networks.

I think Chicago and Rio are neck by neck in the race.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #38
RainMaker
General Manager

Everyone of our local stations carried the presentation which was at like 2am. It's pretty big news here but that's because it's Chicago. Not sure how the rest of the country is covering it. I think CNN had some stuff on it the other day and Fox News is on an anti-Chicago kick for the past week.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #39
QuikSand
lolzcat

The odds are shifting toward Rio - see the oddschecker link above. I suspect that's early word slipping out.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-02-2009 at 09:53 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #40
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Rio has moved in front according to that link.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #41
headtrauma
H.S. Freshman Team

I didn't think straight males were interested in the Olympics.
headtrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #42
Kodos
Resident Alien

What red-blooded straight male doesn't enjoy rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #43
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm leasing my house to the Danish women's swim team if Chicago gets it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #44
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #45
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Uh, ouch. Out in the first round.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #46
kingfc22
Head Coach

Time for Change
Old 10-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Go Rio!!! (again)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-02-2009 at 10:29 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Cue articles blaming O&O (Obama and Oprah) intervention for loss of Summer Olympics bid.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #49
King of New York
High School Varsity

A hard and very public dis for the prez!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #50
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I can't say I'm upset, and I know I speak for a lot of others who are glad we won't be hosting the Olympics in 2016.

Now it will be interesting to watch Mayor Daley's reaction...see what sort of fit he pitches over not getting his way.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote