Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

FOF4 ethics

OK, we all agree that you shouldn't exploit the AI, make unrealistic moves, or otherwise "cheat". But there are some situations that could go either way, so I'd be interested in getting the forum's thoughts. Here's an example... feel free to add your own.

A first round draft picks signs a big deal, then busts. He's a bum, but has a six year deal with a healthy bonus. I found myself thinking about cutting him after two years and taking the cap hit to clear some space for future years. But when I open his contract screen, I see that he's willing to "renegotiate" a deal for the same length of time, but at the minimum salary. He keeps his original bonus, of course, but takes a decent paycut in terms of salary.

Can I resign him? Is this blatantly unrealistic behavior that should be ignored, or is it comparable to a real-life situation where a player takes a paycut to avoid getting the axe?

Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Since he will get his bonus no matter what, I see this as realistic. He would rather get his bonus plus the minimum than get cut and get nothing other than the bonus. Guys do it to keep from getting cut and help with the cap all the time. I dont see anything wrong with it personally.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I think there have been real life situations that have turned out this way. I believe Ryan Leaf wound up giving up alot of his contract, I am sure there are several others who have had this happen as well. Sounds like a good deal and you should take it.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote