Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2003, 08:51 AM   #1
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Annoying sports stories

I know these are the dog days of summer for any sports fan who doesn't happen to like baseball. NFL training camps haven't started. The peak of NHL free agency has gone (early July, though still many interesting subplots for the Wings). NBA free agency is rolling along slowly. None of its good.

I also know there illions of annoying sports stories each year that seem to garner WAY more national attention then they are worth (best example: Terrell Owens ball "signature" celebration).

That all being said, the sports stories that have meritted "national" media attention at the moment seem more annoying than usual...

1. LeBron James. This has been annoying for months now. For months. But it's had a bit of a revival as the summer league kicks off. People keep saying he's "the next Jordan." He will be an attraction for years! He will bring people into the stadium his entire career! Uh... Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves? I mean, yes, he will be a huge draw this year. Even I am excited to follow him and I don't particularly like basketball. But, who is to say the kid will have any staying power? What if he's just good, not great? There is no guarantee that LeBron will be the next Jordan. Next year there will likely be some new hot, young player.

Side note: Jordan. Though he's not a media story at the moment, I feel like ranting. First, I think he should be involved in the game. His presence should be in the league. He's done an incredible amount for the sport and should be involved some how. His draw (two years of straight sell-outs in Washington) cannot be denied.

That being said, I don't see why everyone was so hard on the Wizards for basically firing Jordan. They feel like he deserves better. That he has some god given right to be in control of a team. Yes he was a great player. Likely the greatest ever. That does not necessarily mean he's a great manager/executive. Hell, Washington sucked before he got there and they suck now. Excessive Jordan-loving is annoying.

2. Roger Clemens. First it was his quest for 300 wins. Then that RIDICULOUS debate about what hat he should wear in the hall of fame. Now there is this ridiculous debate and whinging about Clemens not being in the All-Star game. Give it a rest people! Sheesh.

3. Kobe Bryant. Yes, this is big news given the allegations. But I still find it annoying. The way the little facts are coming out, the back and forth. The fact that it's all about Kobe and not the victim, can't really blame that on anyone, but it's true. Just annoying.

4. Tiger Woods. He's in a slump! He's not in a slump! He's in a slump! He's not in a slump! My gods, people. Yes, he's the best golfer in the world right now. Hands down. He is not going to win all of the time. No one does.

I am sure there are others. I really blame this sour mood on the fact that the only live sports "reporting" I get to see here in Belgium is what I watch on the "Pardon The Interuption" clips on ESPN.com. Last few have been done by some woman and David Aldridge. I think they just annoy me. That and the latest rash of Barry Sanders interviews.

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
ctmason
High School JV

There's this knob...or perhaps it's a button.....it's usually on the right hand side, or the bottom portion...just below the screen.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by ctmason
There's this knob...or perhaps it's a button.....it's usually on the right hand side, or the bottom portion...just below the screen.

Yeah. But it's all I have. My only US "live" sports coverage. I miss it. I did end up skipping most segments which is what annoyed me. I like sitting around in the morning, supping on my coffee, and listening to people yap away about US sports. Always have... These crappy stories ruined this for me. Hence the annoyance.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought this was going to be about the sausage.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:12 AM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Must...resist...submitting...to...QOTM...
Old 07-11-2003, 10:20 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs

I kinda like the sausage.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #7
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Living in Blegium you should be watching Le Tour de France.
The VRT has the best cycling coverage in Europe (better then France2, the Dutch NOS, the German ARD and Dutch spoken EuroSport.)

But then there are the annoying stories about Tyler Hamilton's broken collarbone (he'll quit the Tour this weekend!), Jan Ullrich's amazing come back and Lance Armstrong's possibly 5th Tour victory.

I agree on the LeBron story, by the way.
Let him play a year or five, count the rings and if the Cavs have become the most popular US sports team in Europe then start comparing him to Jordan.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Kobe Bryant's story is getting a bit tiresome as well. Not quite as bad as the sausage, but getting there.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:18 PM   #9
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Does an entire sport count? If it does, my vote goes for baseball.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:22 PM   #10
SteelerFan448
High School JV

The Brewers and that idiot Bud Selig making such a big deal over the sausage, and they've only been covering it for a couple of days.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #11
tucker342
Pro Starter

Lebron James hands down
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote