Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
RedKingGold
College Starter

Ping: Lawyers (or anyone in law school/completed law school)

I'm starting to get ready for my 1L Fall Exams over the next couple of weeks (before I have to start working on my memorandum for legal writing). I've outlined three of my classes and plan to get all of my notes streamlined/outlined before the end of October and just add to them every couple of weeks.

Obviously, I'm kind of nervous because I've never been subjected to a law school exam before. Should I look for any other study aides (hornbooks, commerical outlines, etc) to supplement my studying? If so, what would you recommend?

Basically, do any of you guys have any advice in prepping for my first 1L exams?

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That was an intense time. I think what I did was pair up with a couple of friends I trusted and we outlined most of the classes together. Doing the outline yourself will help immensely, but I think I also resorted to the commercial outlines for some things. And, if there are any floating around, a "legacy" outline from someone who aced the exam in a previous year is always helpful. I used those to ace my gratuitous transfers and evidence classes as a 2L/3L - in fact, I only went to the GT class 5 times all semester and got an A. But that comes later - you need to go through the motions now to get to that point later.

Just be prepared to miss a bunch of football games on the weekends. I still remember one particular Saturday in November 1993, the week after FSU lost to ND, not watching a single snap of football all day. In the early evening, I decided to check the scores, turned on NBC, saw the BC kick that beat ND, and that was all the football I needed to see that weekend. Talk about a boost of adrenalin!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'd second Ksyrup's suggestion about the "legacy" outline. I found one for my Property class that was really quite helpful. It was short and sweet, but word for word accurate.

Another thing I did for some classes, those that are case intensive (like Criminal procedure), was to make a list of cases. I'd try to organize them by topic and then have a brief sentence on the specific holding. It made a nice reference sheet while taking the exam.

Another thing that helped was making a study schedule. I would block off days or half-days for each class and stick to it. The fact that you already have an outline for three classes means you're waaay ahead of where I ever was. I don't think I ever had an outline ready before Thanksgiving. Making the outline was typically my primary way of studying/reviewing for the class.

Heed Ksyrup's advice on football too. In my three years of law school, my grades first semest were always better than second semester. The main reason: hockey. My second semester finals always took place during the NHL playoffs. I was always distracted by this. In fact, I took a break during my 24 hour take home exam for Con Law to watch a game. A Double Overtime game (bad idea).

Good luck!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
Mountain
Mascot

My biggest piece of advice is to get copies of the old tests that have been given in that class before and answer it with your completed outline in front of you this way you can concentrate on the quality of your answer rather than whether you have all the material memorized at that particular point. Then when you have answered it take it to the professor and have him critique your answer if he/she is willing to. If not take it to your legal writing instructor or a 3l who you really respect academically.

Remember that when you are answering a law school exam you are accumulating points with your answer so you can never assume anything. For instance, say its in your torts class and you think that partcular question deals with negligence. Most people will just say this is a negiligence case and list the four elements required to prove negiligence. Make sure if you say its a negligence case your next sentence gives the def. of negligence and gross negilgence and wilfull or wanton misconduct so your professor knows you know there is a difference. With just that right there you have earned more 4 more points than the other person. When you go on to talk about the elements and say the first thing you need to do is show a duty exists between the platiniff and the defendant make sure you define duty and than list the various sources where duty comes from (statutes, common law duty, property, etc.). Then relate to the facts of the question. For instance the duty in this case comes from the statute that requires that you have warning signs at public pools or whatever the example is.Thats why I say you answer the sample test with your notes in front of you so you don't miss things because you don't remember them. GEt used to the process and then when you have its all memorized and are taking the exam you will be able to use the skill of giving the details to accumulate the points. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need calrification. I actually teach law to undergraduate students and give them some law school type essay questions. Same type of format just more a single issue type quesiton than the kitchen sink types that law students get.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
My biggest piece of advice is to get copies of the old tests that have been given in that class before and answer it with your completed outline in front of you this way you can concentrate on the quality of your answer rather than whether you have all the material memorized at that particular point. Then when you have answered it take it to the professor and have him critique your answer if he/she is willing to. If not take it to your legal writing instructor or a 3l who you really respect academically.

Remember that when you are answering a law school exam you are accumulating points with your answer so you can never assume anything. For instance, say its in your torts class and you think that partcular question deals with negligence. Most people will just say this is a negiligence case and list the four elements required to prove negiligence. Make sure if you say its a negligence case your next sentence gives the def. of negligence and gross negilgence and wilfull or wanton misconduct so your professor knows you know there is a difference. With just that right there you have earned more 4 more points than the other person. When you go on to talk about the elements and say the first thing you need to do is show a duty exists between the platiniff and the defendant make sure you define duty and than list the various sources where duty comes from (statutes, common law duty, property, etc.). Then relate to the facts of the question. For instance the duty in this case comes from the statute that requires that you have warning signs at public pools or whatever the example is.Thats why I say you answer the sample test with your notes in front of you so you don't miss things because you don't remember them. GEt used to the process and then when you have its all memorized and are taking the exam you will be able to use the skill of giving the details to accumulate the points. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need calrification. I actually teach law to undergraduate students and give them some law school type essay questions. Same type of format just more a single issue type quesiton than the kitchen sink types that law students get.

I don't know why but this struck me as extremely useful information. I'm not even a law student and I can see things where I'd apply this tactic.