Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Adamski47
High School JV

Slingbox vs. Sports Subscriptions

Here is my ordeal:

I moved to Chicago from the Detroit area in July. I spent the entire football season sitting at a BW3 watching the Lions (of all things) and I swore that I would not do it again for a team I love. Now that baseball season is upon us it is time for a decision: Slingbox or Direct TV sports subrscriptions.

Slingbox seems like the logical choice as it costs about $250 and will end up being much cheaper down the road having to spend $240 for football and $140 for baseball each year.
But what kind of quality does Slingbox provide? I do not know a single person who has this and I'm worried that it may lag or be choppy or have huge delays (where my friends are texting me "can you believe that catch?" 10 mins before I actually see it lol).
The slingbox will actually be at my parents house in Michigan and I plan on connecting my laptop in IL to my TV. My TV is NOT HD and is just a standard 32" with a s-video in (and RCA etc). I'm worried that the quality will be bad. Eventually I'd like to get a better TV but right now I just cannot afford it.

Anyway, what should I do? I must watch my Tigers and will DEFINITELY not be watching the Lions the way I did this past season.

I really need to make a decision before Direct TV's early bird special runs out on Sunday.

Last edited by Adamski47 : 03-30-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Adamski47
High School JV

Dola,

And another thing...With Slingbox I can watch the occasional Pistons/Red Wings games as I'm not a diehard fan of theirs but will watch a game once in a while.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

Slingbox has always sounded shady to me. It just doesn't seem like a sound business model.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like it is only $199 at Amazon right now. I also think it would be great for sports, but I don't really have a need to get one. But if I were to ever move out of the area, it would be something I would be interested in. Seems to me like a modified version of this with a ton of bandwith and a lot of devoted fans would be NFL/Direct TV's worst nightmare.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Adamski47
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Looks like it is only $199 at Amazon right now. I also think it would be great for sports, but I don't really have a need to get one. But if I were to ever move out of the area, it would be something I would be interested in. Seems to me like a modified version of this with a ton of bandwith and a lot of devoted fans would be NFL/Direct TV's worst nightmare.

IMO, the most intelligent thing Direct TV could do would be to charge for teams individually. Have the MLB full package available as it is, for $139 or whatever but then have individual teams available for $30 a pop.

I only want to see the Tigers (I know I know) and have no real need to see the other teams day in and day out.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The amazon reviews look favorable.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I don't have it, but I've read good things about the slingbox (I think it was a CES review), for what it's worth.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski47
IMO, the most intelligent thing Direct TV could do would be to charge for teams individually. Have the MLB full package available as it is, for $139 or whatever but then have individual teams available for $30 a pop.

I only want to see the Tigers (I know I know) and have no real need to see the other teams day in and day out.

I'd be willing to bet that a significant portion of the DirecTV sports packages are purchased by people mostly interested in just watching one specific team. There's no reason for DTV to do this.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A friend of mine has a slingbox. He lives in Belgium and the "box" is with his parents in Vancouver. He said the picture wasn't great, but it worked pretty well. The concept elludes me slightly, but I don't think it'd be a bad investment if you want to watch Detroit sports in Chicago.

I ended up shelling out how many hundreds of dollars for the NFL Sunday Ticket and Center Ice package when I was in DC. Now that I am back in Michigan, I will not be getting the NFL Sunday Ticket (not only because it's not available on Comcast, but I don't see the need), but I will be picking up the Center Ice Package. It's cheaper and there are a ton more games on.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote